Am I the only one who wants Iron Sights?

beenthere

Lately most mid caliber rifles come with no sights. When I buy a rifle I take it out and shoot from the hip (literally) into a backstop for a few rounds to make sure they function, then the rifle sits for a year till I get the money together to buy a good scope. Iron sights I can use any time and carry behind my seat without breaking something. Even the budget rifles require the cost of the rifle extra to be able to shoot them with a scope.

vitesse9

No

I have rifles with open sights, and scoped rifles. I think they both have their place. For a truck gun or a SHTF gun, iron sights. For a hunting gun or a range gun: scope. Just depends on the end use.

ksstargazer

Gd

When I found that I am just as accurate with iron sights on my Garand as I am with a scope, I removed my scope. I often shoot with guys with scopes and outshoot them with my iron sighted milsurps. I can understand the value of a scope at long shots or in low light, but at 100 to 150 yards, I can do just fine with iron sights. Hunting deer in heavy brush, a scope is a disadvantage to me.

esldude

Well a good cheap alternative while saving up for a scope might be a red dot. Even cheap ones $30 do okay. Are a bit easier to use than iron sights. Now they still have the disadvantage of scope for sticking a rifle behind the truck seat. But buy one and use till the money for a scope is in.
At least for those you buy without sights.

Handy

My preference is for a rifle with good iron sights and a quick release scope mount. To that end, my HK SL7 is ideal.

I can't see how it hurts to have both. The iron sights don't add weight or complication, and they might save the hunt.

Evan03

77/44

bought the only rifle id like to have with irons. i would serve as my thick timber rifle where it stays semi dark all day and long shots are 50yds.

but super red hawk might be alittle handier in that kinda hunting situation. :D

beenthere

Sights

I appreciate the comment on the reddot etc, but the point I was trying to make is I don't want anything sticking up in the air on top of my rifle. For me it makes a rifle awkward to carry and cluttered in appearance. It makes it so I can't comfortably use an inexpensive gunsock to cover it.

At $40 per drilled and tapped hole or finding someone to mill a slot, plus finding a sight which will fit the contour and height required for the barrel it becomes quire a chore.

Scope users used to have it a lot easier when all rifles came with sights. Drill and tap 2 holes or some rifles came already drilled and tapped from the factory. Rings and scopes fit anything etc.

Today, the rifle manufacturers can't even tell you what aftermarket sights might fit their rifles. Williams and Lyman cant keep a sample of every rifle and barrel-action-caliber on hand to recommend the correct sight. The only thing that comes with sights are the very cheapest 22s or the brown bear and up calibers.

I'd be happy if I could just call Marlin, Remington, Savage etc and say what Williams, Lyman, Redfield should I buy to fit my rifle?

keens

FWIW I teach my kids to shoot with iron sights first...then let them move up to scoped rifles...kind of like teaching them to work a manual transmission first before moving to automatic transmission. This broadens them a bit I think. Also, I like iron sights for their toughness, and though I prefer a scope for hunting (easier to see at dusk, and easier to place shots right where I want them) the iron sights are a challenge that my friend and I find fun as we try and hit those distant metal plates...

Evan03

pretty sure remington ruger and winchester offer most all rifles they have with no sites with the iron sited companions, think ruger is better about offering open sites then the other two but i know they do offer them.

iamkris

Your question (and many of the answers above) don't really say the key thing...which is..."for what?"

Long range hunting with modern rifle? Scope
Brush gun/dangerous game rifle? Open, express, ghost ring
Most military, MBR style rifles? Irons
Long/short range old-timey rifles (e.g., my Sharps)? Irons -- or more specifically my globe/tang aperature sights
CQB? reflex or ghost ring

And as was said above, teach kids to shoot on open sights first, aperature second. Red dot and scopes can wait until they've mastered front sight, breath control, trigger control

Chindo18Z

Handy: I prefer weapons with factory irons...you can always add a scope to the gun.

I once had to stop a charging squirrel after my red dot died. Thank God for iron sights. Squirrel snarled his last mere inches from the front bead.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Nope.

I may scope a rifle, but I want to shoot it with irons first to get an idea of what it will do. If the scoped performance won't measure up I get a good idea of where to start looking for the problem! ;) I also like having a backup in case the scope goes south.

In my experience, scopes do not help you shoot more accurately under ideal conditions. I've shot several sub-moa groups with iron sighted rifles. Scopes WILL help you under less than ideal conditions or when your target can not be seen with the naked eye.

I have only one rifle without open sights and have passed on purchasing rifles that don't have open sights in the past.

iamkris

Handy

You severely misinterpreted what I was saying. I was referring to the primary sighting system you use for the firearm. NOT whether you would have irons and a scope on the rifle . I never said it hurts ... Not sure what you're referring to.

Handy

Kris,

What did your first post have to do with the question about whether you want iron sights or not? Clearly, Beenthere wants a scope IN ADDITION TO the iron sights that weren't included. So how does this:
Long range hunting with modern rifle? Scope
answer the question without suggesting that they are not needed?

NH AR Shooter

I've always prefered Iron sights, but as I get older my iron sight range has been getting shorter, so there are going to be more scopes in my future. As it stands now, every rifle I own has iron sights. :)