Am I a wimp?

SteelJM1

so my problem is that I can't stand the recoil of my .243 out of a remington 700. My M1 is better but that's because its gas operated and heavy. But whenever I shoot that 243 or the 12 gauge turkey gun, ican only get through about 10 shots before I just need to put the damn thing down. im going to get a limbsaver padN but its making me rethink getting a larger caliber bolt gun. anyone got any advice? Maybe im holding it wrong or something bit im really getting discouraged considering its on the small end of calibers. ill never get decent accuracy with the flinch and rwcoil anticipation now.

rantingredneck

I would be looking into possible stock fit and mounting problems if I were you. A .243 is a *****cat to shoot for most people. Sounds like your gun just doesn't fit you right.

Yellowfin

Tighten your hold to your shoulder for the .243 and you won't feel it. It should even't move if you have it held right. A 12 gauge loaded with hot turkey loads, however, is indeed abusive and you don't have to holding that wrong for it to rough you up. I had a Mossberg cut a chunk out of my hand while holding the back end of the foregrip this spring and after that experience I decided I'd had enough of 3 1/2's.

armedandsafe

I agree with the thought it might be the fit of the stock. Of course, this opinion was reached without having seen your stock, your stance nor your hold, so take that for what it is worth.

I have noticed that people of slight stature can take more recoil than those of big, burly builds. We tend to get pushed around by our big bores, while the big guy takes all of the energy concentrated right into the meat and bone of the shoulder. My sister and I shot 30-06 in 1000 yard competition when we were so light-weight we had to have someone stand on our feet while shooting prone. I grew enough to be able to shoot prone alone, but Sis still gets scooted backwards on the pad an inch or so per shot. We learned right quickly the requirement of a stock properly fitted for US.

Pops

SteelJM1

Well it seems like when it bruises me it's concentrated on a half dollar sized spot on my shoulder, more towards the outside of the shoulder. it just feels like it's really concentrated on one small spot. if the rifle indeed doesn't fit me right how can I correct this? I've held it tight and it doesn't seem to help and shouldering it any other way just doesn't feel right. I am 6'2 on a small frame (170 lb) and just skin and bones, heh.

Lavid2002

hmm

.243 magnum loads?
just kidding : D
But really if you can take a 30-06 from an m1 and not a .243 then its definately the stock or something.

Fremmer

it's concentrated on a half dollar sized spot on my shoulder

The pad will help with that. And you can develop a knot if you shoot a .243 enough times, but 10 times is not that much.

I'd use it as an excuse to buy a new BAR in .243. :p

Maser

I have to agree with others who said it's got to be stock related issue. If a gun don't fit you right, it can kick the heck out of you regardless of the felt recoil.

Another thing that happens over time of shooting guns with hard recoils, is you become more "recoil hardened". Most of the time that's a good thing to develop, but on the other hand it can be a pain because you won't feel the pain until the next day. :eek:

FirstFreedom

-Hold the stock in closer to the centerline of your body, not way out at the shoulder edge; more half way on your chest.

-Hold the rifle tightly in both your right and left hands when pulling the trigger.

-Hold it *fairly* tightly into your shoulder/body when shooting.

-Lean into the shot just a little bit.

If that doesn't clear it up, then you just may be a wimp ( :p ), and you'll need a recoil pad on the gun, or a better stock fit - on that issue, does the stock seem too long or too short to you?

As mentioned, just practice/use makes your body "harden up" a bit and get used to it, UNLESS you're actually injuring your shoulder joint in a repetitive manner, in which case more shooting makes it worse.

SteelJM1

Welp, my buddy and I are going for a nice long shoot tomorrow. I'll bring the camera and see if he can snap some pictures of my stance and arm position and such and then maybe you guys can see something that i'm missing.

Eghad

If you hold the rifle firmly into the pocket created by the arm and the body it will let the rifle push you back instead of hitting you.

Rifle butt in the pocket of the shoulder - The firer must place the rifle butt into the pocket of the flesh which is formed in his right shoulder. The proper placement of the rifle butt lessens the effect of the recoil, helps steady the rifle and prevents the rifle butt from slipping.

just be sure not to put a big bore rifle on any part of your collarbone :eek:

Ian2005

+1 for a recoil jacket - I got it for my .308, when I was new to shooting it anyway, but then I can use it for shooting clays too so it was a good investment. Also I have a recoil reducer, I don't even know the name of it, but it's a neoprene wrap around the butt of the rifle with foam insterts in a real tree pattern. I got it the local bass pro by the eye/ear hearing protection area. A real "limbsaver" (heh) during those extended duck hunts. :cool:

langenc

Make sure stock is on the shoulder and NOT the arm(biceps). Keep elbow high-about on line with shoulder and a natural pocket forms to put the stock into.

cnorman18

handguns are easier

This is one reason I like handguns. I dislike recoil in a rifle, but I could shoot hot-loaded .44 mags in a 4-inch M29 all day and never feel a thing. Something about letting your arms absorb the recoil impulse, I guess.

Fremmer

Are you shooting from the bench? Recoil is harsher from the bench. If you shoot from field positions, the recoil will be easier to take.

Gunner69

Just a thought... And you may have already done this, but check the factory recoil pad, I had one of the screws work itself loose on my Win Mdl 70 in .300 Win Mag and you want to talk about feeling like you've been stabbed. It had only backed out maybe a full turn but under recoil it was enough to bite the heck out of my shoulder.

rantingredneck

Just a thought... And you may have already done this, but check the factory recoil pad, I had one of the screws work itself loose on my Win Mdl 70 in .300 Win Mag and you want to talk about feeling like you've been stabbed. It had only backed out maybe a full turn but under recoil it was enough to bite the heck out of my shoulder.

I bet that did suck. :eek:

hunter33

If you really think its just to big for you...try a 22-250....if its legal where you live at but you must be holding it wrong and to get rid of that flinch this is what i had to do have somebody else load your gun have then put some blank rounds in it my father did this to me and it got rid of my flich