Alternative powders for .357 Mag with cast lead

Salmoneye

Ken Waters listed 10 grains of Herco as a max with 158 grain lead bullets.

Alliant in 2004 suggested no more than 7.9gr Herco with a 158gr lead...

See my previous post for reference...

I have also seen an Alliant reference in a different year @8.2gr Herco as max, though I can not find it at the moment...

SHR970

1991 Hercules says for Herco

7.9 gr. max for 158 gr lead

8.2 gr. max. for 158 gr. jacketed.

I believe that 8.2 number you were seeing was the jacketed line.

TimSr

H110 will work best for full heavy magnum loads, (17gr on mine)super accuracy no leading with my 18 BHN bullets, but I don't know it will work with yours. I'm shooting a 6" Ruger GP100.

Blue Dot works great for heavy .38 loads and I'm using the same bullets as for my .357s. It likes a near full case to be consistent. (Doesn't do well in light loads.) I've only used it a couple of times in .357 loads (I think it was 10 or 11gr) but it might work better with your BRH 12 bullets.

Red Dot is great for softer bullets and light target loads, but it won't get you into magnum territory. Its a .38 load in .357 case.

m&p45acp10+1

I just tested from the starting to max load in .5 grain increments to get an idea of how it would do pressure wise, and for being consitent. start was 9.5 grains. Max is listed as 10.5 in my Lyman manuals (Pistol & Revolver 3rd Edition, and Lyman 48th,) The most promising was 9.5 to 10.0. The max load started to open up a little. I still prefer AA#9. It is worlds cleaner.

YARDDOG(1)

AA9 List 12gr to start & 15gr Max with 158gr Cast,, Info from one cal one book. So start low & work to you get the results you desire ; ) PS Safe reloading to ya
Y/D

AlaskaMike

I've had okay results with Blue Dot in .357 mag with 158 grain SWC (both with super hard commercial bullets, and also with my own wheel weight alloy bullets). 10.2 grains for me gave adequate accuracy in my 4" model 28, but left lots of unburned powder flakes. They tended to work their way under the ejector star which frequently caused problems.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but Power Pistol is my personal favorite for midrange .357 loads. Similar in burn rate to Herco, it meters wonderfully and doesn't coat your weapon and forearms with crud.

Mike

joneb

For 357 mag cast lead in the 12-14 bhn range Accurate #5, True Blue, Universal, VV n340, or VV n350 works well. I'm sure there are a bunch more that would do the same, but I doubt Blue Dot is one of them.