All metal 45acp target guns

L. Boscoe

I have a few, Sig 220 and CZ97, but as a gun nut (certifiable) would be interested in collecting different makes especially all metal heavy target style
45s.
I got rid of my HK expert, which was close but no cigar. I only shoot targets,
and don't see any other shooting in my future.

DaleA

Captain Obvious here, how about a Colt Gold Cup, or my personal favorite the Springfield Armory Range Officer. The Springfield has all the stuff I, personally, like (adjustable sights, nice trigger, good company service reputation) and none of the bells and whistles I can do without...saves on the price.

Dang! The RO is discontinued!!! You'd have to find a used one.
Still lots of other SA .45's here:
https://www.springfield-armory.com/1911-series-handguns/

Note: Wow! What a response! There were NO responses when I started typing up my reply and by the time I posted I was number four. I think maybe if I use BOTH fingers to type I could double my typing speed. Yeah, that'll do it.

JDBerg

A Smith & Wesson 945-1 Performance Center, I knew a guy who had one of these back when these were new, fantastic shooting .45ACP target pistol.

Adventurer 2

Colt Gold Cup - comes w 2 recoil springs - 1 for standard pressure rounds and 1 for light target loads - I use the light recoil spring with a semi-wadcutter w minimum powder charge - cuts an accurate paper punch hole in targets.

Doc Intrepid

My favorite heavy target-style all steel .45s are my two Para-Ordnance P-14s. These are the double-stack mag 1911 5" government model pistols, with trigger jobs - beautiful shooters. A bit heavy for carry guns, but for shooting steel targets set up for different range drills mine are perfect.

These are no longer in production, but there are still plenty of them around if you're interested. Best with it.

Sevens

For lower money than my earlier suggestion...

I get pretty decent results with my Tanfoglio Elite Match in .45. All steel and capable.

sevt_chevelle

Got a CZ 97 worked over by Cajun gun works, trigger, 1911 barrel bushing and a few other mods.
It flat out smokes my P220 and beats both my Dan Wesson 1911s.

KyJim

For a more-or-less production gun, try a Les Baer 1911. For most five and six inch barreled models, Baer will guarantee groups of 1.5 inches at 50 yards for an extra $295.

My "standard" Baer Premier II easily outshoots my Colt Gold Cup, but that may be the user and not the guns.

darkgael

I have a Colt Gold Cup that was given additional tweaking by the late George Madore “the wizard of the .45”. It has proven itself over the years. Nowadays, in addition to .45 target work, it wears a Nelson .22 conversion for the smaller bore matches.

JustJake

Someone's interesting first post ...
I have a few, Sig 220 and CZ97, but as a gun nut (certifiable) would be interested in collecting different makes especially all metal heavy target style
45s.
I got rid of my HK expert, which was close but no cigar. I only shoot targets,
and don't see any other shooting in my future.
Haven't been paying much attention to current events then, have you? :rolleyes:

("Current" being defined, roughly as the last 15-20 months or so).

Drm50

I have had Gold Cups in the past. They are usually good shooters. Right now don’t have one. In fact got clear out of 1911s yrs ago. Just getting back in the last couple years. I have several high grade 22 Target pistols, a S&W m52 38sp and a FN Comp HI power 9mm. While dealing up some 1911 Commanders for SD purposes I got a 1970s model with extensive work done on it. Has been milled for BoMar sights, a National Match barrel cut down and target trigger. I almost passed on this pistol. Then found out it was never shot by owner who passed. The cone hammer is bobbed for cocked & lock carry only. Got box / docs with gun.
Long story short this is most accurate 45 I’ve ever shot. I’ve owned quite a few but never one that had been to a pistol smith.
I had 4 Colt 1911s to try out. Two standard series 70 and two Commanders from 70s. Due to ammo cost I took my cigar box of assorted factory & military for their maiden tests. To see if they had any promise. All four pistols were mint. The “ Bomared” Commander put 1st two cutting at 50’. With 1967 US ammo. That was off bags. Since I’ve shot groups under 2” at 25’, with handloads, off rest. Not to exciting for you young guys but I’m 71.

Jim Watson

Similarly, my most accurate .45 is an accurized Combat Commander... from a Ransom Rest. The shorter sight radius and lighter muzzle hamper hand held precision shooting.