Alabama Spring Gobbler Season-2023

ghbucky

I do not hunt. But I do fish.

If you are a fish, the safest place to be is where I am fishing!

I appreciate the stories of the hunt and admire the stories you tell.

bamaranger

4 more hunts

21 April-I'm off into the Big Club again to hunt South Ridge, where I heard multiple birds gobbling on the morning (19April) that I killed bird #2. The lay of the land is odd down there, a mixture of pine plantation, tornado woods and a small sliver of hardwoods along a narrow hollow and a creek bottom. The hollow opens up onto a large hayfield which is not open to hunting. I walk hard in the predawn light to arrive on a small shelf on the hollow side, the general area where I believe I heard the birds two mornings ago. It's cold, I.m layered up in fleece like it is deer season, but the morning is clear and calm. I hear nothing, call intermittently and see nothing, and leave after approximately 4 hours on the shelf.

23April-I make a scouting/roost trip at dusk, parking short and walking a paved roadway adjacent the hayfield described above. I see multiple turkeys and hear several birds going to roost in or near the little shelf I'd hunted on the 21st, to include one big gobbler that stalks across the paved roadway about 7:30PM, so dark I cannot believe he is still on the ground. We eyeball each other at 200 yds or so down the pavement, and he flushes and flies across the the hillside with the shelf. I'll be there in the morning!

24April-I'm on the little shelf just as dawn breaks, and immediately hear hens calling to each other in the trees around me, I'm right there amongst them! It's another cold morning, but I'm dressed right and am certain there is a gobbler close. I tree call to the hens ever so softly to join the party then hush. It's 30 minutes, well into morning light before I hear a gobble further south, say 300 yds. long the creek bottom and hayfield which is posted. I answer with the slate and there is no response. The next gobble I hear, close to half an hour later, is even further south, say 600 yds. I can't say if it's the same bird or not. Regardless, it's way to far to call, and I cannot pursue onto posted land. I hear a third gobble, again about 30 minutes later, just within my hearing range, likely close to 3/4 mile away. I stay put and call intermittently, hoping that there are other gobblers about with the hens I heard at dawn. I cannot chase those birds to the south and have few options. About 9:00 AM I am startled by a PUTT-PUTT hard off my right shoulder and very close. A bird has snuck up close and spotted me, despite me being still and well camouflaged in a make shift blind. I never see it, and can only hope it was one of the hens from dawn. I never did hear any of them come out of the trees, despite the fact I was inside of 100 yds on all of them. I stay on the shelf 'till nearly noon, then ease out, with no further action.

25April-Frustrated with the birds on the small shelf on South Ridge, I hunt North Ridge this AM to try my hand with ol'Slick, the bird that whupped me on 18April. I'm out on the far end of his ridge with the pretty saddle by 6:00AM, not dawn, but walking in I would have heard any gobbling from this area or Middle Ridge nearby. Once out on the saddle, I can hear further north as well, over onto two tracts of posted, private property. I stay all morning, comfortable and concealed again within a makeshift blind, but hear nothing. I stay 'till 1:00PM, convinced I will hear some midday gobbles, but it doesn't happen.

27April-The weather turns sour, again, and I have multiple tasks to complete on the domestic front , but I slip off in the afternoon for an evening field hunt at KP's after a rainy day. The weather clears nicely as the PM goes on, and I am rewarded about 6:00PM by a lone hen that crests the hill to my front some 300 yds off, then bugs her way down the hill side over the course of the next hour. She ignores my calls and decoys, except for a long stare at one point. No gobbler appears, nor do I hear any birds fly up at roost time, and no gobbles ring the dusk. I see KP on his porch as I leave, and he and his wife advise they have heard gobbles on two mornings recently. That's encouraging, and I will keep field hunts in mind here for PM's or rainy days in what's left of the season.

I'm obligated to travel out of state with family issues for the next several days, through the weekend. When I return I will have one week left to hunt.:mad:

stagpanther

Our spring turkey season started this weekend. It's a strange one, the area I live in is notorious for being lousy with turkeys, but I haven't seen as many as usual--and those that I have seen are mostly young hens and some small jakes. Normally the area has a good share of lumbering big ol Toms--but I haven't seen any so far.

bamaranger

another hunt and PA comments

I have family and a longtime good friend in south central PA and intend to hunt public land there 'roundabout the Mother's Day weekend, perhaps even beyond.

2May- Weather has been a real factor in our (Alabama) season as well. Rain,followed by cold snaps. The week of the 16th was likely our best week, I heard multiple birds and took gobbler #2 as noted earlier. I still intend to post a pic of that bird, first attempts have failed. Today we had a wind advisory after 11:00AM. I was out on North Ridge, giving ol'Slick a run for his money, but heard nothing. It was cold....again......but I was layered up in fleece and stayed 'till 11:00 when the wind got heavy. I stayed planted on the near side of ol'Slicks saddle for 5-1/2 hrs, heard nothing.

bamaranger

Oh no....not again!

3May-I 'm off to South Ridge this morning to hunt the little shelf where I heard birds and saw a good tom previously. A bit late, I never settle in on the shelf till 6:30, but I'm really careful about a stealthy approach. Too, the hollow is quite deep and shaded, and on a west slope, not really catching much morning light, and so the light is still very flat and dim when I set up.

Masked and gloved up, I yelp softly on the slate w/ a hardwood striker, then quickly switch strikers to a carbon fiber number and sort of answer myself. I'm in the process of tucking the call and strikers into loops on my vest, when a turkey powers out of a tree a mere 50-60-yds away! I ditch the calls and get my hands on my gun, but I cannot shoulder it....the turkey veers towards me and lands about 30 FEET away. I'm pinned!!!!!!!!! We stare at each other, it's trying to figure out what I am (clearly, I am not a hen!) and I'm trying to determine if it is a hen or a gobbler. The light is flat, everything is still dark like. I can clearly see there is not a long beard on the bird, but I cannot put any color or details on the head. I've about convinced myself it's a hen.

The bird takes a step or two in my direction, then hops up on a large down log. This perch puts enough morning light on the bird, now sideways to me, that I see a short, 1" or so beard and a red, raw meat colored head. That is a dang jake! I've had far too many gobblers get away, to feel too bad about shooting a yearling, and have no reservations about taking a jake. The young tom tightropes down the log and a medium sized tree blocks his head and I snap the gun up. He doesn't flush but he's seen enough! He hops off the log and begins to quick step off in the peculiar, head jerking motion that alerted turkeys adopt. He's not running, but he's not sticking around either.
I track him in the scope, trying to get his head/neck centered, and avoid a rather inconvenient screen of saplings between us. He changes his angle slightly, nearly dead away, and I trip a shot......the bird flushes and flies away.:(.

A sapling about the thickness of a broomstick, 2-3 feet off the muzzle, unseen till that moment, flops over dramatically, cleanly shot in half! Maybe I ain't such a hot turkey hunter after all?

bamaranger

3 more hunts

4May-This morning I go back to Middle Ridge and its gorgeous strut zone out on the far end. Totally gassed at this point in the season, I don't intend to cover much ground, and the ridge top is flat and easy walking. I tote the blind and a folding chair, along with a jake and hen decoy, and set up shop just at daylight in the center of the two flats where I killed gobbler #2. There were two together as you might recall, and ol'Slick gobbled one time that morning as well, so there may be two mature gobblers left in the general area, and the flats have been a strut zone and productive spot for years. But not this morning. I stay 'till 1:00PM, hoping to catch some midday activity but hear and see nothing.

5May-It rains and is overcast in the AM, and I try and catch some sleep. I run a couple of errands with a pal that needs a driver and am back home in time to beat it over to KP;s for an afternoon field hunt. I'm amazed how grown up the pasture is, my decoys are barely visible in the tall grass, but I find a thin spot and hunt till dusk, hearing a seeing nothing. On the way out I speak with KP, who claims to have heard a gobbler just the day before, so I may hunt it one more time.

6May-Based on KP's report, I go back and hunt the pasture one more time. I try and find a thin spot in the grass, plunk out the two dekes, and sit till 1:00PM, but hear and see nothing.

bamaranger

all done

Well it's over. At best count, I hunted 22 days. I didn't count afternoon or evening roosting trips. Killed 2, shot at 2 (jeez) ran 1 off and spooked 1 unknown. Other than the fiasco on opening morning, I had no problem with other hunters or hunting pressure. The season was complicated by weather, difficult/access to one of my prime properties, an ATV that quit right before season , and two 4WD's that gave problems. I also had a wedding and a college graduation to attend that required travel.

I could have hunted a bit harder,.....maybe. By the end of the season I was totally gassed. Tomorrow, I head north to hunt in PA with an old pal and to visit my Mom on Mothers Day. I still intend to post a pic of bird #2 at some point. Thanks to all for the reads and positive comments. If you hunt spring turkey, I hope you get out as much as you want and have success.

sako2

What part of PA will u be hunt? Weather here hasn't been good. Showers almost every day since the season opened. Good luck up here.

Have 5-6 turkey wonder into my front yard daily this Spring. Last look 2 or 3 of are Jakes. Last Fall there were 17 of em with a huge Tom always watching his ladies. What a show he put on strut'in and fluff' in.
Around 7 am they show up and walk up the East side of our house lawn to the back yard & deck. Once there wife throws sweet kernel corn to them. These birds are trusting towards us but no doubt always on guard. What is surprising to me is how much ground they can cover in a short time just pecking the ground every now-and-then in their (browsing) about. No dog here just a couple of slow moving old folks willing to share a bit of corn w/them.

bamaranger

pic bird 2

Finally,.......the pic of bird 2 off of Middle Ridge.

Attachments

• IMG_0094.jpeg
    IMG_0094.jpeg
    660.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

bamaranger

pic

Bamaboy posted that for me over Mexican food tonight. On my screen here the pic looks a bit washed out, but still, it ain't bad. That's my old slate that has been the demise of about half my gobblers. One can also get a sense of how open and park like Middle Ridge is at that location and how mature the timber is grown. I took this pic at the base of the tree I was set up on!!