AK47 or saiga?

exphys2010

My Saiga 7.62

This is what I did to my Saiga 7.62. As I said, they can be made to look pretty nice for not that much. Total cost with everything is ~520.

Attachments

• Saiga 7.62.jpg
    Saiga 7.62.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 111

Nick9130White

You got me, I'm going to get a saiga. For sure. The only thing I was worried about was it wasn't as strong as a real AK47, but you guys say otherwise. Is there a wood stock kit for it? I'm a wood gun kinda guy.
Not saying I am going to do it while I live in CA, but is it possible to make the saiga fully auto? I'm NOT planning on doing it while I live in CA because it's illegal. But is it possible?

essohbe

Nick9130White, yes if you get any AK variant you can put wood furniture on it. I am a fan of the wood also, but I have both wood and synthetic on my rifles.

is it possible to make the saiga fully auto? I'm NOT planning on doing it while I live in CA because it's illegal. But is it possible?

Although the semi-auto can be altered into a full auto, either with a "lightning-link" type of part or with the actual full auto parts put in correctly. Forget about all that though unless you want to go to jail if caught. You and I can not legally alter a semi-auto into a full-auto in any state, Kalifornia or not.:mad:

Carter

Living in Cali, I'd say a Saiga would be the best option. You're getting better quality than most AK's.

I'd already have one if I knew how to convert one, and the confidence to do it. Never heard a negative thing about them.

Nick9130White

I'm not even going to think about making it full auto on California. Hahaha, the gun laws here suck, but I was just wondering if it was possible to do. It would seem pretty cool to hav though.

If the trigger assembly is pushed back, Is it still capable of having a pistol grip?
And doesn't anyone know where I can get my hands on a wooden stock, hand guard and pistol grip?(if if can have one)
And will old surplus Russian AK wood fit on it without modifications? Or would it not cause the saiga doesn't have the gas tube on top of the barrel?

christcorp

I'm not one for keeping things original. "You ought to see my 1966 mustang with electronic ignition and digital gauges. Same with my Saiga. I'm a big guy, and one of the issues I had with a number of AK's I bought, was I didn't like the trigger location. It was too close to the front stock, and I didn't like the feel of it. It's just me, I know that. Anyway; I really liked the Saiga, because the trigger assembly is actually pushed further back. So while I definitely modified and changed my Saiga around a lot; the trigger assembly I actually left as is. I really do like it that way. I've owned; and eventually sold A WHOLE LOT of AK's and variants. I really do like the trigger like this. Anyway; here's a picture of mine. "P.S. Mine is chambered in .223 not 7.62x39. Also; it has a renegadebuck Saiga/AR15 magazine adapter so I can use the same magazines as my AR-15"
IMAG0004.jpg

essohbe/Nick9130White:
As for just the appearance/sound of full auto operation, a Wisconsin guy went to prison after he loaned his AR-15 to a guy, who took it to a Wisconsin range.

The gun had Not been altered, but after the rifle's malfunction made it Appear to go full auto for a few rounds, somebody must have called the ATF.

I don't know which website had the link to the news story.
The ATF persuaded the judge not to allow a firearms expert to testify about the known malfunctions, from what I remember
reading (a year ago?).