AK47 or saiga?

Nick9130White

I am in the market for a AK type rifle. So here are my questions, should I go AK47 Russian made only, or saiga 762? Keep in mind I live in California, so the AK will have to be semi auto with a 10 round mag and no pistol grip. And are the saiga 762 as strong and as durable as the legendary AK47? Or should I get a Russian made SKS? And is the SKS as strong and durable as the AK47?

DE Shooter

Saiga's are strong and reliable. Is a great starter for 7.62x39. A Russian AK or SKS will be more $$$. The SKS may be slightly more accurate, if you find one with a good bore and sights.

Red Star

I have a Saiga and its a great weapon.

Tough as nails, shoots great, very accurate (depending on the ammo, I just did a bit of an ammo test, and will post the results here.)

Mine was made in the Izmash factory, the same place that they make the Russian military AK's. They make them on the the same machines, so you know theyre going to be super tough.

I got the 7.62 with the 20 inch barrell, hell, heres a picture...

I put the skeleton stock on, the official Saiga one, and its awesome. Also put the tapco front grip on it, with a new super skinny front sight, and a windage adjustable rear sight off a RPK.

All in all, I love it!

Attachments

• Saiga.jpg
    Saiga.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:

doofus47

ok, I'll stir the pot:
Since you're not heavily invested in mags yet: how about a vz58/vz2008?

someone was going to say it....

kristop64089

VZ-58/VZ2008 are Czech rifles based loosely on the AK design. I had a chance to handle a VZ2008 the other day.
My initial impression... I want one!

I have had no less than 10 AK's and the ergo's were much better, the safety was ALMOST intuitive, but can be worked with the trigger hand(if you're a righty). The gun is MUCH lighter and seems better balanced. And you don't see them all over the web.

I'm not thrilled that they take a proprietary mag, but they seem to get great reviews so, it's worth checking into.

chris in va

And are the saiga 762 as strong and as durable as the legendary AK47?

One thing you need to understand, the Saiga *is* an AK-47, just reconfigured for semiauto and has a 'hunting stock'. It's produced at the original AK-47 factory.

Now that being said, because the stock puts the trigger back further than normal, there is an extra linkage to allow this, and give a more vague feel compared to a normal AK trigger.

Also if you try to use normal AK magazines, they won't work without some creative Dremel time. Probably not an issue as you're in California though.

A side note, after owning and 'converting' my x39 Saiga, I would love to get one in 308. California is unstable right now with ammo legality and buying 7.62x39 Wolf may be banned at some point. 308, not so much.

exphys2010

I have shot several AK's in the past, mostly Century, and I have also shot the Saiga 7.62. After this, I now own the Saiga 7.62, as well as a Saiga 12. Saiga's are fantastic firearms. I have never had any sort of feeding or ejecting malfunction from the 7.62. Century makes a nice AK, but I think the Saiga can't be beat for the money. The only issue is that the Saiga needs to be modified if you wish to use standard AK mags, otherwise you can just use the mags specifically made for the Saiga, which are more expensive.. ~$35. One great thing that I found about the Saiga is that it is very easy to modify. I replaced the standard stock with a 6 position Collapsible AR style stock, replaced the standard forend with an aluminum quad rail, added a vertical grip and a laser sight all for around $190. Best of luck on your decision, you cant really go wrong with an AK.

Nick9130White

Is the saiga a remanufactured AK or is it build new? I was looking and holding the saiga at the gunshot today, and no offense to anyone here, it feels like a toy. It's just to light for me. But if it's as good as you say it is, I might have to look deeper into it.
So now the two things I'm debating about is an SKS and the saiga.
And how is saiga pronounced? Is it sa-guh. Or say-guh?

exphys2010

Nick,

If I'm not mistaken it is pronounced as the "say" version, just like the video game system. I am also quite positive that they are manufactured as brand new firearms. The Saiga is made to fit the concept of a "sporting rifle" for sale in the US, which is why it has the synthetic buttstock and forend. I will be the first to admit that the standard buttstock and the forend do feel cheap and poorly made, but they actually hold up quite well. However, as I had mentioned earlier, these are easily replaced with better parts. A very good place to look for replacement parts for the Saiga is Mississippiautoarms.com This is where I ordered all of my replacement parts, and they are very well priced and get the parts too you fast. Many people will mention that your only potential option for upgrading your Saiga (such as adding a pistol grip stock) is to buy a conversion kit, which typically requires some gunsmithing, but this is not true. My AR style pistol grip collapsible stock was made for the unconverted Saiga, and works very well, and only ran me about 60 dollars.

As for the SKS, I have never heard anything bad about the SKS, but if I'm not mistaken it functions almost exactly like the AK, except it is just a more outdated version. You would still be buying a quality firearms with the SKS, but in my opinion you should stick with the Saiga.

spanishjames

attachment.php
http://www.raacfirearms.com/Saiga.htm
The Saigas are NEW, Russian made ak47 type rifles. They are semi-automatic only. They typically comes with a cheap, hollow, plastic buttstock, without a pistol grip.

attachment.php
http://www.raacfirearms.com/Saiga_option.htm
You can also get one with a skeletonized buttstock with a pistol-like grip built into it. This buttstock is a lot more solid that the hollow one in my opinion.
attachment.php

A third option is buying a converted Saiga, or converting it yourself if you're up to it. Some say it's a simple gunsmithing job to move and add the pistol grip for around $200.00. (simple, not easy) This type of Saiga will accept regular AK magazines, unlike the ones above, where you need specific Saiga magazines.

Then there's all the other Romanian, not new, but refurbished and U.S. legal imports like the WASR models. I'll let someone else tell you about those. Have fun.

http://www.raacfirearms.com/index.htm

Last edited:

essohbe

It's pretty easy to convert just the pistol grip and trigger group. In fact, it's easier than doing drum brakes on a car. Lol.

I put a threaded front-sight-block on mine. All you have to do it drill the dimples. When you put the new one on, I think the hardest part of the Saiga conversion is drilling for the new pins plumb and straight because the barrel is round. You're not drilling into a flat surface.

Most Saigas don't have terrible magazine issues. What is needed is a "bullet guide" because some have stepped trunions and ammo like hollowpoint and softpoints tend to jam against the breechface..

...and no offense to anyone here, it feels like a toy

Lol. :)Yes! The stock Saiga will feel like a toy because the Russian's pretty much understand most people are going to take the furniture right off and junk it for the real stuff. They really made the stock as light and cheap as possible. Although it works fine in operation, it's been the popular thing to best restore the rifle the way it's supposed to be.

How do I know what factory it was made at?

They are all manufactured here: http://izhmash.ru/eng/

The Romanian's are not that bad of a rifle depending on which ones you get. My 7.62 is a WASR10|63 and it has the chromed barrel. The 75 doesn't.
The Saiga rifles also have the chromed barrels and gasblocks so it's a matter of:
Do you want to restore a Saiga and be able to say you have real Russian,
or,
do you want to skip the work and have a slightly looser Romanian?​

If Nick ever leaves CA, a VZ-58 is a much more popular choice for those who have handled them, as long as multiple, cheap, (loaded) mags for "the end of western civilization" is not a serious factor.

christcorp

Here's the deal. It's cheaper, when all is said and done, to buy a completed AK that you see in the shop. Romanian or whatever. I can find that for about $500. They are usually made of used or surplus parts that are put together. A Saiga on the other hand is brand new, and made by the same manufacturer and factory that builds the "REAL" AK-47 for the military in Russia. And initially, the Saiga will be less money. $350-$400 (With FFL fee or taxes if local). The Saiga however is not in it's "Completed" AK-47 looking form. It was semi-modified with a sporter stock and such to satisfy certain "Import" laws. Remember, this is a BRAND NEW RIFLE. The other ones aren't consider brand new, because it's made from used/surplus parts, and falls under a different law. So, that is why the Saiga's look like they do. To be "SPORTER" rifles and not what some like to call military, assault, or all the other dirty words.

Now; while it is about $100-$150 cheaper to buy the Saiga, you CAN make it back to the way it was "SUPPOSE" to be. And it will only cost a couple hundred dollars to do the entire job. So, when all is said and done, the saiga will cost about $100 more than the already put together "AK" that you're use to seeing. However: There are 2 advantages to the Saiga. 1) It is a REAL TRUE AK, Brand new, and built in the same factory, on the same assembly line as the military AK-47. 2) No one says you have to spend the extra $200 to modify it all at once. You can start with the trigger assembly, OR with the stock and hand guard, OR with the magazines, etc... The only thing is that "Legally", to make this "Sporter" weapon remain "LEGAL" in the united states, you will have to use American Made parts to a certain level to satisfy certain ATF laws. Not hard at all. Matter of fact, an American made Magazine actually counts as "3 parts". Swap out the stop and forehand with USA parts, and you're good to go. It's a game, but it's not hard. Of course, being in the Soviet People's Republic of California; you are limited to 10 round magazines. So you're probably going to stick with the commercial provided magazines. They are a bit more expensive, but you can do that. Then, you just have to replace enough of the other parts. Again; not a problem. We're talking swapping parts that doesn't take a gun smith or a rocket scientist.

But when you're done, you'll have a REAL AK, brand new, made in the REAL Russian AK plant, with much better quality. And the final price will only be about $100 more than the cheaper made from leftover parts kits. Plus; if you ever leave the communist state of california, you'll be able to take that last step, and get 30 round magazines in the Saiga. Best of luck. Oh, and check our gunco.net for a lot of saiga questions.

9mm

SAIGAFORUMS.COM

you need to the know the legal work before you convert you're saiga, yes I went with a saiga, reason #1 ak47 = $800 at the time, Saiga = $380 + conversion parts = $130

Here : http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/LegalFederal922rParts

shorter version

You can buy most of the parts @ gun showes (tapco t2 trigger group)

Last edited:

Mike38

I was looking and holding the saiga at the gunshot today, and no offense to anyone here, it feels like a toy. It's just to light for me.

On mine, it did feel “front heavy” so I removed the butt plate and added some of those adhesive lead wheel weights for mag rims on the inside of the hollow stock. I think I added 6 ounces, and may add 4 to 6 ounces more. It feels to be a better balance.

chris in va

Guess I'm gonna have to take another picture of my Saiga conversion again.:p I actually prefer the stock handguard, more options for hand placement over the traditional AK version.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us