Air Rifles: Cost Efficiency, Noise, and Power

Daekar

Wow, I looked at the Colibri, and I had no idea that such low-energy rounds were available. I hope they'd make it out of a long barrel! I think I'll try the CBs (recommended brands?) and definitely the Colibri first. Much easier to justify in the face of impending mortgage payments!

JohnKSa

Administrator
I hope they'd make it out of a long barrel!
That's a valid concern and I believe I've seen warnings on some of the very low-powered .22 rimfire ammo that cautions they should only be used in short barrels.

GeauxTide

Sheridan Blue Streak 20 caliber. Outstandingly accurate, powerful, and quiet. Have dispatched squirrels, chipmunks, and feral cats. Three houses within 50 feet of mine, too.

Poodleshooter

Super Colibris also recommend that they only be used in pistols in the fine print, though not as obviously stated on the box as is the case with regular Colibris. I've used them in a rifle, but they're far less accurate than a good spring air rifle. My $40 Crosman pellet gun puts them to shame, even in a quality .22.

CBs are a bit better, but are still generally inaccurate past 50ft or so.
Try CCI CB longs, and Remington CB longs.
The longs feed much better from a .22lr.

Much cheaper than a new air rifle or a suppressor (though not nearly as much fun!)

highvel

Well as far as quality goes, my RWS 48 is 13 years old and still shoots 1100 fps thru the chrony.
I worked the trigger, and put a shotgun recoil pad on it due to the sharp kick.
I use RWS Meisterkugeln pellets because of how they shoot, and I would say I've have about 15-20 empty 500 count tins full of small screws etc in the garage, so she's broken in now!
I think I'll keep her!;)

Irishbandit

I like my Gamo

First let me say hello to everyone on my first post, I was checking some of the posts here on the site and it seems like there are some people on here that are really cool and hold a lot of wisdom.

Ok on to the reply, I have owned pellet guns since I was 9..it's what I was trained on till I was 12 and after proving my gun / hunting / safety skills got to go with the "men" and shoot real guns. Some of the imports mentioned above are great and accurate but can be expensive.

For the past 3yrs i own two Gamo .177 rifles. One called "Rocket" and the other a "Whisper" both are rated 1200fps. Whisper is a bit quieter than the other non suppressed rocket but not by much. I bought both off of Craigslist for under $100.

I use the whisper more cause i like not only the scope but the fix sights as well. I did some mods that dropped the trigger pull to mere oz's vs lbs, new scope and a piston mod that takes away that "twang" the spring makes. I did all of the mods for under $200 and it's like a whole new rifle and I have taken down rabbits, crows, squirels and ferral cats with ease. I can get 2" grouping at 100yrds.

One thing to know, it took about 500 rounds ($15) to break it in and I tested 9 different types of pellets before I found one that my rifle liked. That is the thing with air rifles they are ammo picky. Once I found one my rifle loved, I get consistant accuracy (I order 2000 rounds at a time so they are all of the same batch). If you want to know more please let me know.

I would really love to find some guys in the Seattle area that like to go air rifle hunting like I do.

PS - here are links to the mods I was talking about for those interested

Trigger - http://charliedatuna.com/GRT-4G.htm

Piston - http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Crosman_Nitro_Piston_Conversion_Fits_Many_Newer_Gamo_Rifles/2103

Scope - http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Leapers_5th_Gen_3_12x40AO_Rifle_Scope_Ill_Mil_Dot_Reticle_1_4_MOA_1_Tube_Max_Strength_See_Thru_Weaver_Picatinny_Rings/3695

Pellets most accurate for both short and long range - http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/H_N_Baracuda_Match_177_Cal_10_65_Grains_Round_Nose_500ct/20

Never get a PBA pellet if you want a quiet shot. The sound "crack" it lets off sounds like a 22rimfire!

zxcvbob

.177 for birds, .22 for squirrels, rabbits, etc. Unless you're good enough to do head-shots, then a powerful .177 is probably enough for either.

The recoil from spring piston air guns wreaks scopes unless specifically designed for air guns.

wjg686

I have been picking off chipmunks with an RWS .177 750 fps rifle for several years. It has taken squirrels easily, and a rabbit at 35 yds (double lung -- sat there for 10 seconds, then fell over dead). I chose the subsonic one for quiet, but the spring piston is a bit noisy close up. I, too have wondered whether I might get away with CB's in a lever action .22.

DeeDubya

RubenX

"What about that so called "powderless" .22 ammo? Is that for real? Is it quiet?"

I've experimented some with the Aguila Colibri powderless. It's propelled by only the priming compound. I practice with my Smith K-22 and it shoots fairly accurately. It does not work well in a rifle. I suspect the long barrel actually slows the bullet. It does not have ample power for pest control. I don't know if it is still available.

DeeDubya

There are plenty airgun sites to discuss this topic but I'd like to profess that one should not discount the benefits of indoor practice. I enjoy shooting my "Izzy" on rainy days. Just set up a 30m indoor range with a good pellet trap.

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 17
  • Izzy 016.jpg
    Izzy 016.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 22

Pilot

I bought a couple of Beeman imported, spring piston air pistols about 22 or so years ago for fun. A Beeman/Webley Tempest and a Beeman P1 "Magnum". The P1 is more accurate, and powerful (600 fps) than the Tempest (400 fps) but the Tempest is more fun to shoot. I have killed squirrels, and some annoying birds with both. Lots of fun, but not the quietest going. Still, it shouldn't bother the neighbors too much.

Dino.

Tempest

I bought a couple of Beeman imported, spring piston air pistols about 22 or so years ago for fun. A Beeman/Webley Tempest and a Beeman P1 "Magnum". The P1 is more accurate, and powerful (600 fps) than the Tempest (400 fps) but the Tempest is more fun to shoot. I have killed squirrels, and some annoying birds with both. Lots of fun, but not the quietest going. Still, it shouldn't bother the neighbors too much.

The Tempest is an awsome air pistol.
Mine is a .22 caliber and has plenty of power to take small game.
The spring action does take some getting used to but once it's mastered, the pistol is extremely accurate.

DSC04282.jpg

I also have a Crosman "Custom Shop" 2400 that I bought off a member of an airgun forum. I paid $100 and it looked like the original owner never even shot it. It's also a .22 caliber and is amazingly accurate. The only drawback is that it operates on C02 cylinders which are subject to temperature, so performance is best only in the summer months.

DSC03031.jpg

shurshot

When it comes to airguns, consider going old school. Benjamin / Crosman 392 .22 Pump rifle, 685 FPS, (14.3 grain pellet) more than enough for small game at 30 yards or so. Sheridan (Crosman) .20 cal is just as good, and also uses 14.3 pellets. The exercise from pumping tones your arms and the air is free.

shurshot

My old Crosman 3 ring 101 .22 pump rifle is 1940's vintage, had the seals replaced just once, and still out shoots my modern air rifles. "Power without Powder".

tgreening

Head over to youtube and look up EdgunUSA. While the rifle he uses is way way out of your stated price limit, his videos are excellent and and show just what a skilled shooter can do with a quality air rifle. He routinely makes lethal shots on small game in excess of 100 yards If he turned out to be half as good with a standard long gun you'd probably not want to be on the wrong end of his scope. His setup is really slick and gives excellent " through the scope" slow motion video of his shots. He just about made me want to pass on a new "real" rifle and buy one of them there airgun toys. :)

darkgael

PCP

A quick note about a generality passed before:
PCP’s will be even quieter than a silenced subsonic .22 rim fire,

The truth of that really depends upon the type of PCP. It may be true of smaller caliber airguns but not the whole line of PCPs available.
One of the great virtues of PCPs in general is that they can be had in a VERY broad selection of calibers - .177, .20, .22 for sure (and those are quiet) but also in .30, .35, .45, .50 caliber (and those are most definitely not quiet at all).
Pete

Skans

I have a Chinese "copy" of an RWS 48 - B21/22 made by Xisco, or its predecessor. It shoots .22 pellets at 900+ fps. I have owned it for over 5 years now and use it quite a bit.

Pros:
1. precision machined 2-stage, all steel, adjustable trigger
2. long heavy barrel - exceptionally accurate.
3. integral scope rail
4. attractive hardwood stock
5. lever action
6. No plastic parts
7. quality internals and externals - very durable and nicely machined
8. Priced around $160 last I checked

Cons:
1. Barrel is a little too long, and some people don't like the extra weight - some folks have successfully cut down the barrel and claim no loss in accuracy or power.
2. Recommended to disassemble rifle before using and clean out metal dust and re-lube (yes, it's made in China - small price to pay for an exceptional rifle at that price)
3. Finish on Hardwood stock is not bad, not great either, but I'd prefer a hand-rubbed oil finish - maybe I'll refinish it some day.

This is the only Chinese made Airgun that I like. I personally think it is substantially better than the RWS 48, that's why I bought it - primarily for the trigger system which can be fully adjusted, polished, etc. Do your own research and don't listen to people about "Chinese Airguns" who don't actually own a B21 side-cocking springer. Believe me, unless they've actually disassembled a B21 and examined the parts, they don't know what they are talking about