AI Confusion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

F. Guffey

Those slippery nickel ones slid further forward from firing pin impact setting their shoulder back quite a bit (some I've measured got set back .005" or more). Oft times, the back half of the case didn't get stretched back enough to have their head stop against the bolt face. Their fired primers stuck out past the bolt face several thousandths.

Bart B., I know, I am the only one that missed it so tell me again, how did you measure the cases that you claimed shortened when the firing pin hit the primer? I ask because I have killer firing pins, I have firing pins that crush the primer before the case, bullet and powder knows their little buddy the primer has been hit.

All of this stuff happens in a hurry, How big of a hurry? Time and events are measured in milliseconds. That is the reason I believe time is a factor.

I do not wonder. I have had crushed primers, I have had primers with neat dents, the dents were formed when the pressure inside the primer formed to the protruding firing pin (if the spring was strong enough to overcome the pressure, it is a .7854 thing).

F. Guffey

Bart B.

Mr. Guffey, I've told you several times before putting how I've measured that in several posts over the years in this forum. But it involves something you think is not a valid measurement, so that's why I think you don't plant it into memory; you forget about it because it, to you, is nonsensical.

With your claimed expertise in machine shop gunsmithing tools and practices, I would think it's easy figure out how much a case shoulder's set back from firing pin impact and not even shoot a bullet down their barrel.

Think about it; it's a before and after issue with a primed case.

F. Guffey

Mr. Guffey, I've told you several times before putting how I've measured that in several posts over the years in this forum.

Bart B., I know, I am the only one that missed it so tell me again, how did you measure the cases that you claimed shortened when the firing pin hit the primer?

There are claims a reloader can seat a primer into a minimum length/full length sized case, then chamber and then pull the trigger. It is claimed this method/technique can be used to determine the difference in length between the chamber from the shoulder to the bolt face and the length of the case from the shoulder to the head of the case SIMPLY by measuring the primer protrusion.

Stay with me, if that claim is true then your firing pin impact shorting the length of the case .005" from the shoulder to the case head causing a false reading when measuring the protruding primer. . Because of the protruding primer a reloader is going to adjust the die off the shell holder to prevent oversizing the case, and if you are keeping up it will be necessary to size the case with the bolt when chambering.

Fast math, the case started with .004" clearance, your firing pin shortened the case .005", that is .009". .009" is no go-gage length for some and beyond no go-gage length for others.

Again, I am the fan of cutting down on all that that case travel.

F. Guffey

Status
Not open for further replies.