Aging Hands And Handguns

SOG/MACV

Nice toys

Hey OJ, nice 95 Win you've got there. Today I picked up the real deal and it's marked .30 Army. It looks very similar to your newer one...

axslingerW

Not really age related, but between carpel tunnel and ulner tunnel (elbow), I find it isn't the caliber that causes problems. I have learned to take breaks at the range, and limit myself to 50-75 rounds per trip. It also seems to help to shoot a variety of different guns to keep the fatigue down. (At least thats what I tell my wife.;) ). I take several with me and like to shoot with a friend or too.

Michigunner

It hurts pretty bad sometimes. It was a major, major effort to work the slide of a Kel-Tec P3AT.

My Rohrbaugh R9S hurt like the devil, but I put some adhesive tape on front/back of the grip, and the pain disappeared right away. The pistol no longer would squirm in the hand.

My big HK USP 45 is easy to operate the slide. So is the Sig P239 9mm. I guess they all vary from brand to brand.

Harley Quinn

Squeeze ball type hand grippers help.

Don't give in, keep at it and your body will keep going, it is when you quit and slow down that you are asking for trouble.

Squeeze um. Hit speed bags. You will see the results within a few weeks.
Go slow at first and work up your time on the bag and your number of squeezes.

I'll be 65 this year, I still shoot the 44 mag, any gun I own I'll shoot.
I do prefer the 17L Glock 9mm, for its accuracy, plus it holds quite a few extra rounds.:D

I do carry a 45 Astra mdl 80 but it is not as accurate, at 7 yds though its not a biggie. An orange is easy to hit.

I normally put them where I want them, no reason to worry.

HQ

JR47

Mr. Taffin suffered from multiple small-bone fractures of the hand, and , if I remember correctly, a fracture to the radius at the wrist. This was believed to have been caused over the years by a succession of big-bore handguns, and the lack of any type of padding.

I doubt if any of us will put as many Magnum rounds downrange in those heavy calibers as he did, though. Even then, the cumulative effect took nearly half a century to evidence themselves.:)

OJ

[QUOTNice toys

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey OJ, nice 95 Win you've got there. Today I picked up the real deal and it's marked .30 Army. It looks very similar to your newer one...E][/QUOTE]

Thanks - it was a gift from my wife last year for our 25th anniversary. It was one of 10,000 recreations made in 1995 of which only 3000 were in the high Grade. I confess to giving her help finding it - it was in an estate and was "new in box, unfired, with manual" - evidently from a collector whose heirs didn't have a clue what they had.

Yours would be choice, in my opinion, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.

AWINCHESTER95.jpg

WFP71GR-XSSIGHTS.jpg

All she got was a little diamond ring and she's still convinced she came out ahead. Women - gotta love'em!!

:D

clayking

Late 50's and pains all over, but most of them self-induced.:rolleyes: I joined a gym about 3 years ago, doing it at home became too easy to skip, and I've had less problems but sometimes more as I over do it and pull something. Weight lifting is supposed to slow down arthritis somewhat or postpone its onset. But I do shoot lots more 22 for the practice and end up with 100 .45's. I'm going down to a 9mm just to lighten the ammo budget somewhat as I'm not so much of a recoil junkie. I do feel pain in the wrist if I shoot light weight snub nose type revolvers a great deal.

My doctor told me last week, (pulled my Achilles tendon on an 15 degree inclined treadmill:( ) that to stretch (or do light exercises where stretching is difficult) before doing any of these activities and it would greatly help prevent injuries.

There is one gentleman that I've known for about 10 years that is 90 years old. He still shoots bangers with the best of them.:) ...................ck

Bullrock

I guess I'm lucky. I'm pushing 71, bi lateral CTS, arthritis in my right thumb, and all of the aches and pains that go along with old age. But I still shoot my 29-2, .357's, 45acp, and 9mm's. It hurts a little with the .44 Mag. but I bear down and work through it.

Of course, if you're breaking bones that's impossible to do. I stay away from little guns irregardless of the calibre.

When I was a pup, shooting was not fun unless the recoil drove your pistol at least head high. That still holds true for me today.

ddskehan

I'm fairly young at 37, but I have severe arthritis in my hands. I found that if I keep my shooting sessions lower than 200 rounds of 45 acp i'm fine. After that i'm regretting it the next couple days. I shoot on a regular basis just to keep it up, but I do use recoil reducers in my pistols. Also I have a Knox spec ops stock on my 870. I do carry a glock 27 cc in a IWB holster. I used to carry a colt commander lw.

Eghad

So far .45 and .40 are no problems. I do have arthritis in my hands. I have cut back on .357 Sig/Magnum and the .44 magnum prefering a .44 Special. I could still shoot them if I had to but after a box it was talking to me a little.

beenthere

Arthritis

I'm 66 and my problem is I have a lot of trouble loading magazines. I can still shoot the 357,44 and 45 if I don't go for the moon on velocities and stay at 50 rounds per session, but I get to do more shooting if I stick with revolvers. Somebody said I should try HK magazine loaders but I haven't got one yet.

pfgrone

I'm 69 with arthritis and hand injury in my right hand. I'm also ambidextrious so I now shoot left handed. My right hand is now my weak hand and hurts for about a day following one of my weekly range sessions of 50-100 rounds. I actually moved up from a .38 snubbie to a Kahr 9mm. The 9mm has much less percieved recoil to me. I also shoot about 20-25 rounds a week in my NAA Guardian .380 which hurts my hands - but it is my pocket gun so I shoot anyway. But heck... any day you wake up is a good day, isn't it!!

Have a nice day unless you've already made other plans.
Paul G

J.D.B.

Speaking of hand exercises, I have long used "the balls". Baoding balls, actually. They have done an excellent job over the years. I work with my hands and have been able to keep them in good, relatively pain-free shape for over twenty years. Google them up (there are many sources). The largest selection and best prices/service I have found is at:
http://www.momentum98.com
I lately found they sell non-chiming iron models in larger sizes. These pictured are 2.25". I used to only have 2" and the larger size is a nice change-up. I plan to shoot my .45's forever.
Josh

Attachments

• baodingballs.gif
    baodingballs.gif
    37.8 KB · Views: 11

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
I'm 59, with aging eyes that do well too see the front sight of my
handguns; but I still shoot any caliber handgun from the lowly .22
short, up thru the .44 magnum. I was severely injured in a MVA back
in '98, so I stay away from anything greater~!:eek: :cool:

casingpoint

At 56, I wake up in the morining stiff in all the wrong places. And gun manufacturers don't make their products as accurate as they used to. :D

abs

I just turned 55 - and decided to buy the 1st gun for myself. My buddy says "mid-life crisis... others buy red Camaros." But I wanted it when I was a teen, then was busy with everything else. Don't you tell me I'm too old for this :D

Dean C

I'm impressed by the honesty here.

I too am closer to 60 than I am the bull when I shoot. I still give it the best I can. I do get up in the mountains during hunting season but not nearly as far as I did when I started.

As far as the hand gun, wwwweeeellll, the 38's are a lot more Dean frendly than the 357's are.

God bless ya' all,
dean