After all, Glock isn't that innovative, is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevens

(Did you really spend the time, to do that much research, over a point like that ?) Hmmm. Speaks volumes. Anyway, not important.
What are you trying to say with this comment?

Every post that carguychris ever bothers to make speaks volumes. His posts are part of what makes TFL the finest discussion forum I've yet seen on this subject. His passion on the subject of Smith & Wesson handguns, especially the semi-auto handguns is evident.

In any case, my 1006 was bought in July '92, NIB from local gun store for $539.95, just as a nugget of history from back in the day. But MSRP is a static, issued number that doesn't vary, and it will forever be used as a basis for argument, especially when discussing long since past selling markets.

dayman

I'm going to second Sevens.
The reason that I use this forum over all the other options out there is specifically because of all the knowledgeable people (like carguychris)who are interested enough about guns to research things and provide actual information.
When I'm trolling around here I actually learn stuff.

JohnKSa

Administrator
The posts made here at TFL last a very long time and become part of the collective firearms knowledge base on the internet, so we should all invest time and effort to insure, as much as is reasonably possible, that what we post is correct.

Obviously, that goal will never be fully met as humans are fallible and the information we use to verify our facts is also created by fallible humans. However, that doesn't lessen the importance of the goal.

Bluestarlizzard

You know, of all the Glock hate talk I've heard, the concept that Glock was ripping people off is a first.

Really? Ripping people off?

Such makes me think that if they had sold there offerings at rock bottem prices, you'd still hate them for undercutting American companys that couldn't compeate with such low prices. :rolleyes:

Are those prices unreasonable? I don't think so. Or is it just such a sin to make money?

It's Glocks design, it's Glock process, and it's Glocks company. Nobody went out and forced anyone to buy the product. Glock has made a fortune off it and nobody can say the Glock pistol is crap that doesn't work.

As for the slogan, "Perfection"...

What company doesn't have an incredibly pretentious slogan?

How about HK's oldie but goody "In a world of comprimise, some don't" ... Not even on letting AR mags fit their precious .223.

Or maybe Colts ancient one "God made man, Sam Colt made them equal" forget perfection, Sam Colt has godlike abilitys!!

I find the claims of Glock ripping people off to be as convincing as the rantings of any hotblooded troll.

If we're gonna hate on Glock, can we at least hate on something of merit?

James K

Member In Memoriam
Ah, the problems of the pioneer. You come up with something different and innovative, and people like it and you become successful. Then others copy your idea until your different idea becomes commonplace. Then folks say you really didn't produce anything new because everyone is doing it. :rolleyes:

Jim

TailGator

In a certain way Gaston Glock reminds me of Henry Ford. Ford didn't invent the automobile, but he figured out a way to build them efficiently and market them at a substantial profit. Glock designed a pistol for efficient high-volume production and had an excellent marketing plan. The OP validly points out that they are all the same basic mechanism, with the only changes being caliber and frame size. That is, of course, part of the efficiency, a lot like Ford's crack that his car could be had in any color you want, as long as it is black. Sometimes the most innovative things are the things that anyone COULD have done, but one person thought of it and DARED to do it.

JN01

There is something to be said about doing one thing well and sticking with it, rather than screwing it up with "improvements" (i.e. Gen4 recoil springs and extractors).

It also seems that a company with a more diverse product line would capture more of the market, but then again, if your innovations are not thought through or executed properly (many, many examples of those), what are they really worth?

fire4606

"Hmmm. Speaks volumes. Anyway, not important."

Agreed, one poster just gained credibility, one just lost some.

mitranoc

It's Glocks design, it's Glock process, and it's Glocks company. Nobody went out and forced anyone to buy the product. Glock has made a fortune off it and nobody can say the Glock pistol is crap that doesn't work.

Nicely stated.

10mm4ever

Gaston Glock has never 'designed' anything but curtain rods. He hired a design team headed by Wilhelm Bubits, to design the the original P80. Gaston has never been a small arms designer, just a business man with deep pockets and friends in the upper echelons of the austrian military.

JohnKSa

Administrator
While Bubits worked for Glock, it's not clear how involved he was with the design of the original P80. His credentials and experience at the time suggest that it is unlikely he was the primary designer.

That said, it's not very likely that Glock was the primary designer either for the same reasons.

Bluestarlizzard

So? How many diffrent companies did JMB work for?

Wow, shocker! A business man hired someone to create a product for production and sale!
:rolleyes:

Mystro

Lets put it this way...J.Browning and G.Glock should not be in the same discussion when firearms design is the topic.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Some of the thinking behind the Glock design (no matter who did the actual design) was based on the Roth-Steyr, so maybe there is something to the idea that the Glock used some old ideas.

Jim

mitranoc

Gaston Glock has never 'designed' anything but curtain rods. He hired a design team headed by Wilhelm Bubits, to design the the original P80. Gaston has never been a small arms designer, just a business man with deep pockets and friends in the upper echelons of the austrian military.

But without GG orchestrating the whole operation (Being a smart business man, hiring the team, raising capital, legal, management, etc.), how would all of this have happened? While manufacturing curtain rods, he was also an expert in plastics. No discredit to Bubits, because he is truly an innovative designer. It was all made possible with teamwork.

Last edited:

Glocks are yesterday's hot item. Their are so many better designs on the market now. Is it still 1993 ? :rolleyes: Just checking

amd6547

I think that everyone who thinks Glocks are yesterday's news and surpassed by so many new designs should sell them off...
Then, with the low prices caused by the glut, I will buy more.
I am very happy with my G17 and G26, a combination I arrived at after decades of shooting 1911's and HiPowers and just about everything else.
But, I would like to add a few more...maybe a 17L, a 20...
In fact, a grail gun for me would be a Gen 1 G17 made as close to the introduction of the brand as possible.

zincwarrior

In a certain way Gaston Glock reminds me of Henry Ford. Ford didn't invent the automobile, but he figured out a way to build them efficiently and market them at a substantial profit. Glock designed a pistol for efficient high-volume production and had an excellent marketing plan. The OP validly points out that they are all the same basic mechanism, with the only changes being caliber and frame size. That is, of course, part of the efficiency, a lot like Ford's crack that his car could be had in any color you want, as long as it is black. Sometimes the most innovative things are the things that anyone COULD have done, but one person thought of it and DARED to do it.

Thats a lot of it right there. Remember at the time a lot of pistols required tweaking to be reliable. Glock was stock, relatively inexpensive, LIGHT, and it worked. A surefire winner.

Glock - the Toyota of firearms. :D

mrray13

Toyota= Japan's Chevy, lol.....

Shoot, pun intended, a lot of Today's firearms requiring tweaking to make them reliable, or several hundred rounds of break in, or something silly. My wife's g4 G17 hasn't had a single issue with almost 1000 rds down the tube and it's her duty weapon. (600rds of that in a weeks time during her mandatory 40hr training course)

I have moved on from Glock, but not because of any problem, just boredom with the platform. Glock is so easy to learn on, with and with excellent aftermarket support, there isn't nothing one can't do to a Glock. Who knows? Maybe one day a Glock will find it's way back into my duty holster...probably a 20sf with full power 10mm loads, lol....

Status
Not open for further replies.