Africa - or Bill's Excellent Adventure (I hope)

ligonierbill

Departure is 10-Sep. The typhoid vax may not make it. I am not concerned. Sticks: Don't let your rifle touch anything but your hand. It can push shots opposite of the contact point several inches. For trophies you need a US broker. Looks like a few hundred bucks. I am ready!

armoredman

Be safe and have a blast - don't forget to upload photos if you can! Oh, and try not to get taken hostage by some deep veldt "liberation army". Just sayin'.

stagpanther

My friend who's rifles I worked on are about to go to S. Africa at almost the same time you are. He's had to register all the firearms with import/export control (as usual) BUT unlike many other countries that require vaccination or PCR within 72 hours of arrival--S. Africa requires both. He likes the sticks, sometimes he ends up shooting off the truck's rest since he's going after a big 5 dangerous in addition to longer range plains game.

Good luck!

ligonierbill

The only thing I have to sweat is the 72 hour PCR test. I am vaccinated, of course, and have not been exposed to my knowledge, but Ohio has pretty much gone back to the worst days of the pandemic. Get past that, and I'm good to go.

Geezerbiker

We're all looking forward to hearing about it and seeing your pictures when you get back. So take lots of pictures... :)

Tony

Seedy Character

Living vicariously through your word

Funny thing, when grandson was 8, he would go to deer stand and hunt with me. He asked when he would get to shoot a deer. I said when he could hold the rifle and hit his target.

After season, happened into Wally Wawa and the had a set of shooting sticks clearances. (No idea what brand, probably Uncle Mike and less than $5)

Bought them and we headed to the range. Model 92 .44mag and target handloafs. Took him few rounds, but we figured out what worked and that he was left eye dominant.
Started getting consistent hits and practiced all summer.

Got his does, opening morning.

He is now 22 and still uses those same sticks. It is all what you get used to.

ligonierbill

Awaiting my PCR results. If OK, I'm on my way tomorrow. BTW, Namibia just changed their entry requirement to a negative PCR within 7 days (was 72 hr). They want you to come! Next report tomorrow.

NHSHOOTER

ligonierbill I hope you have a safe enjoyable trip, you really put your time in (and money)..Look forward to pictures and reports of your trip..

Sharkbite

Ive got a SCUBA trip to Bonaire planned for Nov. They just REDUCED the time for a test to 48 hours:eek:

Heck, it takes a whole day of travel just to get there.

ligonierbill

Progress report: Checked in with Lufthansa, almost. Guy says my 2nd leg to Namibia is canceled and throws up his hands. Travel agent can't help on the day of departure. So back in line to try again. Oh, it's not canceled, just delayed 9 hours! I've seen worse says I. So, almost there. Needed my vax card, not my PCR. Have to take the rifle to TSA. Need a declaration tag says the TSA guy. (Not interested in my 4457.) We don't use those says the Lufthansa agent. TSA shrugs, runs it through the X ray, and we're good to go. So I'm at the gate, and this one is on time. Right now I would rather deal with puff adders than airline agents, but at least they'll have beer on the flight.

eastbank

working you way thu the maze of agents on several flights and airports will give a airhead a head ache, not to mention import-export of firearms.

armoredman

"Yes, trombone. I played with the New York Philharmonic until they fired me for my constant flatulence. Cost me a couple of friends, too. Hang on, feel one coming up...where are you going?"

stagpanther

Just heard from a friend of my friend who was going to South Africa--despite all the paperwork and control for his rifles--a 300 wby mag and a 416 wby mag, they didn't make it to Africa with him. The airline lost control in Dubai and they are gone forever.

Edit--I just called my friend long distance (I'm in Europe) and it turns out his guide had back-up rifles and everyone got the tag they went for! His rifles are still a mystery though. His 12 year old grandson dropped a cape Buffalo with a 416 Rigby!! Little stud.:)

Last edited: