Affordable Single Shot Rifles

TimW77

Check the CDNN site...

They currently have in their catalog Ruger #1's, 1885's and (I think) Remington Rolling Blocks UNDER $1000...

Also, look at Dixie Gun Works, www.dixiegunworks.com. They have a constantly changing inventory.

Think the lowest for a Pederoli Sharps or Rolling Block right now is about $1100-1200 but I've seen them much lower in the last few years.

Although not quite as nice as the Peredsoli's, I picked up a 1873 Trapdoor Carbine several years ago for $450!

T.

deserted

A Ruger No. 3 in 30-40 Krag makes a great shooter. Mine is the most accurate of the many .30 rifles I have, with a great trigger. They can usually be found under a grand. They came in other chamberings, too. CDNN has 1885s at $899, thereabouts.

acj7382

I would shop my lgs for the used #1. I got one in 375 h@h last year for $800 out the door used of course. Also came really close to picking one up in 45-70 last month for $900. Of course now I wish I had got it. They go fast but pawn shops and lgs will usually drop from marked prices. Especially now that hunting season is over.

HiBC

A Ruger # 1 is probably the most practical.Likely a barrel would not see extreme round count in a used one. As you say you intend for it to get used,no problem if you find one that looks used not abused.

I've seen a few "Spaghetti" Sharps. A 45-70 Sharps fits your 100 is yard criteria.
From what I've seen,the Pedersoli,Taylor,Cimmaron,etc are good guns.

Of course,the ones made in Montana...Shilo and...whats the other? I forget.Realnice guns.Might not fit your budget.

Who knows what trapdoor or rolling block you might find!

mete

I will be selling my Browning 1885 , 45-70 which would fit your needs. A wonderful old cartridge , very appropriate for deer /black bear even with
the 300 gr. factory load. Hotter loads for bigger stuff if you need it.

jaysouth

Avoid EAB 97s like the plague. You can get them cheap, but all you have is a falling block with weak extractor and glued on barrels.

44 AMP

Staff
If you want a quality falling block rifle, and $1,000 is your break point, then you need to be looking at USED Rugers.

And, even then its going to be close, and the longer you wait, the more they'll cost.

I have a No.1 in .375 H&H that I'll let you have for $1k, (plus you pay shipping and transfer fees), but despite a need for cash, that's the only one I'd let go, right now. :D

Look for No.3's. Last time I saw any the price was in the $800 range. Not as fancy as the No.1s but great guns. I have them in .22 Hornet, .30-40 Krag, and .45-70. Light, short, accurate (at least mine are) and not quite as expensive as the No.1.