Advice on AR barrel length: what's the status of ATF rule on braces?

44 AMP

Staff
until the ATF clarifies the issue with braces.

However the ATF winds up "clarifying" the issue with braces, if it is something in our favor, don't expect it to be permanent. As I understand it, right now, the braces are legal because the ATF does not define them as a stock. If they change their mind about that, then your "brace" becomes a stock, under the law, and your braced pistol becomes an unregistered SBR, by definition.

Before I lost interest in keeping track, I lived through three different ATF definitions of what was, and wasn't a stocked pistol requiring NFA registration, and those were before AR pistols and braces even existed.

There are many things I've come to expect from the ATF. Permanence in their definition of certain items isn't one of them. :mad:

Sharkbite

Build it as a pistol. Brace it. When the BATFE finally gets around to implementing the new rule (if that happens in light of some recent SCOTUS decisions), and if that rule basically says “no braces”, just remove the brace. Leave the buffer tube and just pull off the brace.

I used non braced AR pistols for years before braces were invented. Not a problem.

Last edited: