Adjusting fixed sights question

Metal god

I’ll add . The friend that was with me was truly mystified why I was shooting so bad . With all do respect to him I’ve always been able to shoot circles around him . I’ve been the guy people give there guns to to check and see how accurate they are . All of a sudden I can’t shoot worth crap and it’s VERY frustrating!!!! We both just kept looking at each other WTH man .

Example : this is the second mag ever fired from a Springfield standard GI 1911 about 10 years ago at 25' , this is how I used to shoot . Something has happened since and I don't know what

VvEYNQ.jpg

HiBC

Of course being able to place shots is a top priority. "You can't miss fast enough"
I have a S+W M+P 9C and a Shield Plus. Pretty similar. The M+P 9C is wider and fills my hand better. The Shield Plus is lighter and narrower . Better for concealed carry. Its shades of grey. At 5 feet in a panic I'd choose the gun I had on me.
At 50 feet I might shoot better with the M+P. At 50 feet I might be better off to escape.

I'm not a fan of the Dremel grind,reshape,and stipple routine some do to polymer frames. Thickness of wall section matters. Failure is not as option but it could happen.
What I have done is make "adjustments" If I have a muscle or tendon moving the frame during a trigger squeeze, Yes! I will use a scraper to judiciously relieve a minimal amount of material . If an outside corner is making a noticeable pressure point on a knuckle or finger, I'll soften it just a little. Nothing radical. Its like "inletting" a pre-carved stock.

Dry firing and evaluating my grip ,natural point of aim,etc...I made a discovery with the Shield. The textbook "align the gun with the forearm" and "place the pad of the trigger finger on the trigger" .....Yeah.its OK.

But I was working on quick ,consistent sight acquisition and not moving the gun with trigger pull. I do have a couple of "landmarks" like "This thumb contacts here" Trigger finger parks here" but I found the most consistent "good results" came with my "panic grab" grip. The trigger finger(when placed) was in the first joint wrinkle . This was with the little Shield and my hand . I don't do Weaver and I don't scrunch my neck . My arm is offset from my eye. Facing the target,I bring the slide up to alignment to my eye. Guess what? The gun cannot be in alignment with my forearm.Its about 15 degrees off. I quit worrying about it.
There is a natural , anatomically correct, balanced skeletal stack that your body knows. Its in your operating system.

Simplify your "list" to the draw and bringing the gun up to alignment with your eye. Yes,maintain safe trigger discipline and find your sights.

Your focus,IMO, needs to be on situation. Shoot? Don't Shoot? Run? etc,

Get the gun from the holster to your hand. Bring it to alignment with your eye. Process whether to Shoot/Don/t shoot. Move to someplace better.

Certainly you need marksmanship competency. Work on that . Its a good thing.

Four inch groups or eight inch groups may be academic at conflict distance.

Metal god

I did , both of them which was the original question . Do I drift one or both ? Had I not worked on the grip the rear sight would have been significantly off-center . If that’s required there is something wrong with the firearm or the shooter . Fixing the reason I was shooting left and low seemed like a better idea . Not to different then fixing your golf slice by adjusting your swing rather then buying a new club and just aiming to the left of the fairway .

Last edited:

Metal god

Sure , as you can see the rear sight was starting to be noticeably off center so I moved the front sight left a bit instead of moving the rear more . Neither is off that much by them selves but if I had only drifted the rear it would have been way right with the edge hanging off the side of the slide . You can see it now just starting to break from the radius of the top of the slide on the right side .

hQsJiS.jpg

qohJoQ.jpg

GVsqFx.jpg

Also keeping in mind I was still shooting this far left with that adjustment . If I would have put the front sight back to center and drifted the rear to pull the shots all the way back to center . That rear sight would have been WAY over right .

75G8eX.jpg

I knew that would have had to be wrong and that it must be me which changing my grip seemed to prove . with this last group with the same sight placement ( on gun ) as the group above .

8lWdAe.jpg

Last edited:

Recycled bullet

I like to do is draw a circle on a nine inch white paper plate. I make a circle around a quarter with a sharpie marker.

Set it at ten yards then shoot at it with either hand. See if you have wandering zero.

Metal god

Yeah I shot with my left hand the other day . What I found out is I can’t shoot very well with my left hand . Not good/consistent enough to tell me anything:-(