Accurize an SKS?

jlmurphy

The rear cover is the obvious place to put a scope rail, and a short red dot scope wouldn't interfere with stripper clip use, but some covers are tighter than others. I have tapped holes in receiver sides to mount clamps to force the play to one side. If I had to do it again, I would spread the cover to fit the receiver. This would probably require annealing the cover, because there is a good chance it has been hardened. With a red dot you could leave the stock sights as backups.
Gehwer98,
I noticed you have a case deflector beneath your scope. If you grind away the receiver frame side 3/8" back, the cases will eject sideways. It saves the brass some abuse and protects the optics.

dogngun

I have owned 5 SKS's over the last ten years or so. Try white-box Winchester 7.62 ammo instead of cheap import ammo, and smooth up the trigger assembly.
These two very minor changes will shrink your 100 yard group size considerably, and you will see if your SKS is worth further "fixing".

I have a '68 Chinese SKS with a very good trigger and, with consistant ammo, it is the best shooting SKS I have ever owned. I'm happy with it as-is.

Mark