acceptable accuracy, what size groups?

oldcars

I just bought a nice little 629-2 with a 4" barrel yesterday. I had been looking for awhile, and this one was plenty tight, good deal, etc. I took it out this morning and after trying four different loads, both special and mag. the best I could do was 2.08" for a 5 shot group at 25 yards. I guess that isn't terrible for a woods packing gun, but it got me thinking: What is everone elses standard for accuracy on a "keeper" gun? I guess mine are as follows for 5 shot groups with a good sandbag rest:

-.22 handgun = under 1.5" at 25y
-centerfire handgun = around 2" at 25y
-.22 rifle (scoped) = 1.5" at 50y
-centerfire big game rifle = under 1.5" at 100y
-centerfire varmint rifle = under 1" at 100y

Sarge

It's doing fine oldcars and so are you. I had an old 29-2 that I believe shot about that well at 50 with 300 grain Sierras and yours will too with whatever loads it likes. The one thing I'm certain of is that I could never shoot consistently enough to prove my gun a liar ;)

Doc3402

oldcars,

Assuming free hand and single action that is an acceptable group. From a rest single action that could be tightened up some. If it was free hand and double action buy yourself a brew.

If you bought this firearm for self-defense reasons, don't worry about the group. Worry more about getting in the K5 zones. The reason I say don't worry about tight groups is because hitting multiple organs will speed up collapse of the blood vascular system. The sooner that happens, the sooner the fight stops.

Newton24b

well i believe the smith and wesson website lists the "gaurunteed" accuracy from their revolvers by barrel length at that range. and if memory serves, your spot on.

to get the best accuracy measure the bullet diameter and slug the barrel. that can tell you most ofwhat you know. and no to barrels will shoot one load the same way. its why people spend years finding a pet load for a given gun.

Hammerhead

That's solid shooting, even from a rest. I find shooting from a rest very fatiguing with a centerfire pistol. I often do as well, or as poorly, shooting freehand as I do from a rest.
I think I might be past my prime, I do pretty well with my little Glock 29, my best groups are around 3"/25Y, but I've been struggling with my revolvers. I still shoot my Mark II pretty darn well, averaging about 1-1/2".

federali

My accuracy standard: for hunting and self-defense, minute of deer and minute of man, respectively. It's a moot point as most guns can shoot better than I can. A CCW weapon that can hold 3" at 25 yards is more than accurate enough for its intended purpose.

I read in wonderment many threads in the forums where somebody is in a conundrum because he likes bullet or cartridge A but selection B shoots a 1/4" tighter. Place your thumb and index finger on the center of your chest, one inch apart as best you can estimate it. Now, spread your fingers a half or so further apart. Assuming those were impacts on a live adversary, would it really matter?:)

SW40F

I am happy if each bullets makes a hole on an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper.

When I put a well-ventilated sheet of paper over my chest I realized that any one bullet was "close enough" for practical purposes...

All of my guns are capable of this accuracy, and even better if I aim carefully.

Last edited:

MrBorland

I'd expect the inherent accuracy of my revolvers (rimfire or centerfire) to be sub-1" at 25 yards from a "good sandbag rest" or Ransom rest.

22-rimfire

I don't really have a standard for handguns although about 2" at 25 yds is good enough for me except for the ones I hunt with. I have a 1" standard for scoped 22 rifles at 50 yds. But from experience, most do better than this. The stock Ruger 10/22 struggles to meet this standard but I have not shot it on paper in a good while. When I do I usually shoot it at 25 yds at the pistol range. It is not high on my shooting list, but remains available for duty when called.

rodfac

oldcars...couldn't have said it better...those are real world numbers...and ones that I use in loading here in KY. As to centerfire handguns, sub-2" groups from a rest at 25 yds, demand first rate, tuned to the gun, loads...and good eyesight as well!

Rod

ISP 5353

2 inches at 25 yards is pretty good from a 4 inch 629. Play with a few different loads. I find my .44s usually like a couple of loads much better than all others. Decide about what power level you want to shoot and work with loads in that range. Enjoy you new .44!

mete

Mine is about 1.5" .I has been used for many metallic silhouette matches and a bunch of deer .Some of those deer using one hand.

Mike / Tx

acceptable accuracy, what size groups?
I just bought a nice little 629-2 with a 4" barrel yesterday. I had been looking for awhile, and this one was plenty tight, good deal, etc. I took it out this morning and after trying four different loads, both special and mag. the best I could do was 2.08" for a 5 shot group at 25 yards. I guess that isn't terrible for a woods packing gun, but it got me thinking: What is everone elses standard for accuracy on a "keeper" gun? I guess mine are as follows for 5 shot groups with a good sandbag rest:

-.22 handgun = under 1.5" at 25y
-centerfire handgun = around 2" at 25y
-.22 rifle (scoped) = 1.5" at 50y
-centerfire big game rifle = under 1.5" at 100y
-centerfire varmint rifle = under 1" at 100y

For an initial trial on paper, what you got, is about what I usually expect with any new to me firearm. Usually I need to spend a couple of times at the range to work out the feel of the particular arm to start getting things in a bit tighter. Then moving along to handloads I can tweak it in somewhat tighter.

With the last two revolvers I have been VERY pleased with my results. I just started casting my own a few months ago, for my Raging Bull in 454. Thing is a hoot to shoot but factory bullets, no matter cast or jacketed are a bit much for my likes. I went with a Lee 300gr RFN GC. It took a lot of reading and questions before I actually dropped the hammer on the first one. After simply checking the velocity I settled in for accuracy test and got the following group at 20yds with two different powder charges.
P1010249.jpg

P1010246.jpg

Then yesterday I was out with a new to me Redhawk in 45 Colt. The load was 10grs of Herc Unique under both a 200gr and a 250gr Oregon Trail RFN, to say I was pleased would be an understatement. These two groups were the final of the day and were with my elbows rested on the table, the one out right was from an initial sight in on another target. I think the spot is 3", the top group is the 250's and the bottom the 200's all at 10yds.
Group1.jpg

I'll probably look into some 231 or AA-5 next to see if I can eliminate a bit of the smoke. It isn't an issue on the range, but in the field I don't need it what so ever.

spacecoast

My 6.5" 629-4 Classic DX came with a target showing it shot a 1.8" 5-shot group at 50 yards when it left the factory using 240 JHP ammo. One was an outlier, the other 4 were about 1.05".

DSC01863-1.jpg

black mamba

I've been shooting revolvers for 35 years, and would say that 2" @ 25 yds is pretty good. I will say that finding the right load makes all the difference. My newest 44 mag revolver had groups tighten in HALF (3" to 1.5") by just changing primers-- all other components identical.

Bullet diameter is the single most critical factor with revolvers. They should be .0005 - .001 over chamber throats for best accuracy.