About to Buy a Heavy Duty Handgun

HWS

I have an AR15 so the natural tactical choice for a handgun is a 1911 or Glock. But I live in the country and many days I am in the forest. I have been doing this for 30 years and never had a problem but if I am going to get a handgun I want it to handle and potential problems.

There is always a lot of talk about handguns that will stop a grizzly. This is not a pleasant thought for me. We don't have grizzly bears here, only black bears but we do have mountain lions.

So if I get a handgun I want it to have a chance of stopping the aforementioned creatures. If it will do that, a human should be no problem. I really don't care if it is a revolver or semi-auto.

What would you recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:

raimius

There is no perfect answer. Handguns lack the power of rifle rounds. That said, .44mag would be a logical starting point for further debate.

SIGSHR

Not a hunter nor do I play one the Web, recall Jeff Cooper answering a reader :
"As much as I favor the .45, I wear a .44 in bear country".

stephen426

If you don’t have grizzly bears, a 10mm should work for you. Glocks are not fancy, but they are incredibly reliable and corrosion resistant. 15+1 rounds of 10mm is a lot of firepower. If you prefer a wheel gun, a 4” .357 should work for you. You only get 6 shots compared to Glock’s 15+1. I think semi-autos are easier to carry so I’d go with the Glock.

Hawg

Pretty much anything will take care of a mountain lion but even with a black bear I'd want a .357 or .44 mag.

Pathfinder45

But I live in the country and many days I am in the forest.
The answer is simple: Ruger Blackhawk or Super-Blackhawk; caliber would have to be 357 Magnum, or 45 Colt, or 44 Magnum. Any of those will do fine, but the 357 is probably the best choice for most. Me? I'm a 45 Colt guy, myself, but it ain't for everybody; neither is the 44 Magnum.

Alan0354

I would definitely get a magnum, not for anything, they are LOUD, more likely to scare off the animal even if you miss.

Last edited:
I spend a lot of time hunting, and a lot time scouting all year round. A lot of swampy areas. I have run into dozens of Black Bears. But never a problem and they always take off like a rabbit once they get my presence. One thing about a lot of time walking/hiking is weight. Things get heavy. Especially a firearm. I just carry a LCR9mm. And I do not carry for the bears, but for any Bad Humans I may encounter.

Sometimes, I will spend the night if I am going really far in and I will carry a water tight container with three moon clips. (I get wet a lot in that mess). Probably not necessary, but just gives me peace of mind.

Last edited:

shurshot

What you chose, should also be accompanied by ammo. Not much out there right now. An Empty gun is useless.

I bought a Glock 20 10mm last year and was able to purchase all the ammo I wanted online at a reasonable price. That was last year... everything's gone up since.

A Glock 10mm will also function with .40 SW in a pinch. A .357 is also a great choice (and also shoots .38's)... IF you already have ammo. If you don't have ammo, the gun, no matter how well made, is just a paperweight.

Just something to consider, as the ammunition shelves may not replenish anytime soon.

Last edited:

Willie Lowman

I am going to agree with the 10mm Glock recommendation. They are weather resistant. They can shoot .40 ammo. With full power ammo they are good enough for large animals.

Pistoler0

^^^ This

+ the 10mm pistol that can also shoot 40 s&w and can do double duty as every day conceal carry if you ever wish to do so. Glock 20 (full size) or Glock 29 (compact).

If you prefer DA/SA with safety, Witness polymer compact also has a 10mm model and in addition you can purchase conversion slides for other calibers.

ghbucky

3rd the spray option.

Effective against both black bear and mtn lion (assuming you know the kitty is there first).

pete2

The .44 Mag. would be my choice. The 240 gr mag load is pretty stout and a 629 ain't too heavy to carry in a holster.

mk70ss

Bear spray and/or a good .357 mag with heavy bullets or a .44, either Special or mag. These should get any problem solved if you don’t have brown bears or grizzlys.

CDW4ME

Under stress making good hits might be a challenge on a moving target.
Sure would suck to fire off all 6 rounds in a revolver and the threat (attack) not be stopped.
10mm Glock 20SF or 29SF if under a 10 round mag limit.
A 10mm 1911 wouldn't be bad either.
Even with the 1911 you get 50% more capacity than a 6 shot revolver.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 10mm.jpg
    10mm.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 1,443

BourbonCowboy

If I'm planning to be in the woods, I usually carry my Judge, loaded with .45 Colt or with slugs. I've been wanting to pick up a .357 Henry rifle, but the idea of a Henry in .45 Colt is starting to appeal to me as a nice match for the Judge.

stinkeypete

Since statistics recorded, about one person is killed in the USA per year by a black bear.

You’ve been in the woods a long time, ever had a lot of problems with bear or lions? “Yeah, it only takes one” you might say, but you’d be safer losing 10 pounds (or more in my case, eating healthier or for the love of pete quit smoking!

My opinion is that as you walk distances, weight matters. Something like a Glock 19 isn’t a bad field gun. Honestly, if you don’t live in grizzly or polar bear country, bears are simply not as dangerous as driving your car to the supermarket.

On the other hand, a .44 magnum revolver is much heavier but most likely legal for deer hunting if you get the itch. I have a real nice one and great holster and it’s really heavy after 5 miles. You can hunt elk or bear with that cannon.

Me? I carry a Ruger LCRX 3” 5 shot revolver in .38 special which just drops in my jacket pocket. It weighs about the same as a can of cola. You might forget it’s there. Other fellas may have more horsepower, but here I am, still alive.

My pistol is small, light weight, can suffer a swim in a creek without me worrying too much, and is not too much to whack a suicidal rabbit or squirrel. Yum.

My opinion is carry what you love in the woods. For me, light weight wins the day. When grizzly or polar bears... long guns and a buddy are just common sense.