A solid .22 Rifle

hexidismal

I just recently picked up, totally on a whim, a Savage Mark II package with the scope. They call it the Mark-II-FVXP package.
http://www.savagearms.com/markiifvxp.htm
I thought it was a little much for a .22 at first at $249.99, but then I realized what I was getting for that money. (Actually I got it for less, but that was a price it was marked) You have to remember that you're getting a heavy target barrel and accutrigger for that price. Factory trigger pull is about 2 1/4 pounds . It's just really a solid and well built gun. Also a BIG plus is that with the heavy barrel combined with low velocity CCI CBs this gun may as well be suppressed. With the CBs I can shoot outside in the middle of the night without disturbing my neighbors 50 feet away. And this thing is a tack driver. Good stuff.
savage22outside-1b.jpg
savage22outside-3b.jpg

Selfdfenz

Dirty Harry

TOZ 78-1 or -4 has the trigger you're seeking and is accurate. They're getting a tad hard to locate but you can find one for less than 200. It should have 4 magazines (2x5 rnds & 2x10 rnds). Even scoped they are great wood lot rifles but they can hold their own at the range.

Savage HB MKII with the Accutrigger will be over 200 but worth the extra $$$. Scoping is a must.

CZ 452 Special/Trainer is over your budget as is the American but they are great products. Worth the stretch money-wise IMO.

If you haven't shot 22s for groups lately any of the above wil make you wonder just how much can be had from smallbore shooting.

In your boots I'd consider spending a few extra dollars if I was convinced the difference on paper at 50 yds was a dime sized group as opposed to one the size of a quarter or larger. Finding a rifle that will shoot one of the bulk pack type ammo well, in addition to some of the more expensive stuff, is a very rewarding expereince. Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Best

S-

Picher

Probably your best bet is a used Rem 581. They are wooden-stocked and most have good triggers. They are very accurate and can be bought for under $200.

It's the poor man's Rem 541. The two we had would shoot rings "inside" of most rifles anywhere near the price. The target versions, the 540X and 541X are also good values and can be had for about $225.

Picher

nemoaz

+1 Marlin. I have a twenty five year old very accurate and very reliable model 60, but they have a few options these days. God knows how many rounds have been put through it.

Ruger is, I guess, the only choice if you want to make your 22 into a pretend assault rifle. Of course, by the time you start adding all the stuff, you probably could have bought the parts and made an AR15.

Dirty_Harry

Hey hexidismal

What kind of scope is on that Savage. I have a 111 package .30-06......and the scope crapped out before she was even sighted:mad:

But I got another scope and she is a shooter.

hexidismal

Hi Harry,
Nothing too special, its the one that came on it with the package. I know that savage does change them around though. This one is a Simmons Blazer 4x32. I'm not sure that it would stand up to anything with recoil, but for the .22 it's been perfect so far.