A solid .22 Rifle

Dirty_Harry

I have gotten the urge to buy a nice .22 rifle. I have always been more into the larger rounds like .308, .30-06, and .450.........oh and alot of .223. I have a cheap Romanian .22 rifle that I bought for like 40 bucks. I want something that is alot cheaper to shoot and I want a good rifle. I really cant justify in my mind to spend more than 200 bucks for a .22, I could but its a .22:cool:.

I would prefer a bolt, open to semi, no pump or lever action. The most important thing to me is the trigger. It has to be a good clean breaking trigger. It also has to be wood. One rifle that has really looked nice to me was a CZ of some sort...but it was $275 at the local gander mountain. I have thought about the savages, they are just kindof ugly.........I have a .30-06 savage and love it, but the rimfires are ugly to me.

Help all you .22 knowledgable people.

mikejonestkd

marlin makes some nice looking bolt .22lr with wood stocks.

There are several CZ rifles with good wood that are reasonably affordable.

savage makes a nice rifle with wood stocks.

all are good but they are different in the way they fit and feel.

Servo77

Slightly over your budget (about $20) is the savage Mark II BV (heavey barrel/laminated stock). It has the famed accutrigger.

Also to consider is the Charles Daly Superior II that CDNN has on sale for $149.99 (+ shipping and transfer)

mikejonestkd

I like them, but you are way over your original budget of $200.

They have a nice target gray laminated stock one at a local shop that I wish was less money...

look on www.gunbroker.com

Search for ruger 77/22

wolverine350

Just bought a new Marlin 60SB stainless at walmart for 164.00 and took it out and sighted it in at 25 yards using winchester xpert bulk it ate out the dime size bullseye, was tickled, very accurate semi automatic, had no problems at all

StrikeEagle

What do you guys think about the ruger bolts

The 77/22? I have one, and I like it ok. It's a really good-looking rifle with a nice piece of walnut on it. Pretty accurate (aren't they all?).

But... the trigger is kinda poor. :(

Sorta hard, sorta gritty. If it had a nice trigger, this would be the one to beat.

But it doesn't so it isn't.

Scorch

What do you guys think about the ruger bolts
My 77/22 has a great trigger, and it shoots very well. The one I had before that had a rough trigger but smoothed out well. So all in all, I think the 77/22 is tough to beat, but the CZ would not be far behind.

IdahoG36

I just bought a Tula Toz 78-01. Very nice .22lr bolt action rifle for the money. I paid $125.00 for it. It has a free floating, match grade barrel and an adjustable trigger.

kcshooter

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=71398771

This is a full match-grade rifle for $160 bucks, the seller is my local FFL guy, and when I was picking up another one he let me shoot and I bought it on the spot. The coolest part is the rotary rear sight that has 25/50/75/100 aperatures.
It's everything you want, adjustable trigger, 21" full float barrel, wood stock, full floating, and its a steal for the money! (if you do a search on gunbroker, you'll see the same gun for $30 more from others, and the only ones at the same price have an unfinished stock (eww))

WeedWacker

FOr all practical puposes you would only need to have two guns, a .22 and a larger one for larger game (deer and elk if you so desire).

BLASPHEMY!!! I AM UNWORTHY!!! (begins cleansing with thornapple branches):p

But seriously, a .22 bolt is one of the best guns out there, especially if it comes with detachable mags. My dad has a mystery .22 bolt with a 7 round mag (pretty standard) and we have a marlin .22 autoloader as well (doesn't like cheap ammo). I would go for a bolt personally because of the reliability factor.

MHbushmaster

Do you own an AR15?
If so, consider going with a Ceiner .22 converison kit. Cost is around $100-125 depending upon where you order it from. Essentially it is a modified bolt that drops into your upper receiver in the place of your normal bolt. Also included in the kit is a detachable 10 round magazine. Everything else is the same. Older A1 uppers with 1 in 12" twist barrels are great for this kit.

Cheap, fun, durable, and allows you to use a centerfire rifle at rimfire prices. Also, you can have it shipped to your door and not have to pay for a transfer fee or sales tax if buying from a store.
Brownells and Cheaper than dirt sell them online, or you can order direct from the company and pay a little more.
Just my .02