A short lesson in carelessness.

44 AMP

Staff
If you only have one type of ball, flake and stick (IMR) powders its simple to tell which is which just by looking at them.

But if you've got more than one ball powder, they look quite similar, as do some flake powders. Personally I always thought the reason they put the Red Dot, Green Dot, and Blue Dot in those powder was so the people at the plant could do a visual check to make sure they got the right labels on the cans...:D

Another drawback to visual ID is that its not impossible that a different batch (Lot#) of the same powder can look slightly different. And, its also possible for different lots of the sam powder to look exactly the same and yet have different burning and pressure characteristics.

At one point waay back in the 70s (which doesn't feel that long ago to me, now but everyone says it was a different century :rolleyes:) there were 3 different identified burn rates of H110 powder on the market at the same time, the only way to know was by lot#, and if you blew up your gun, or not...:D

Its rare, but tis not impossible, so visual ID is not something you can rely on, for safety.

foxmeadow

I have a pound of Titewad, scooped up with 3 lbs of Titegroup at a sale. The labels look similar at a glance.

Don't just glance when dealing with such things..

gwpercle

And when you are done ... Do Not leave any powder in the powder measure ...
Dump it all back into that one container on the bench and cap it .

If you leave powder in a measure you just asking for powder trouble next loading session .
Oh You think no way will I forget it is in there and no way will I forget what the powder is ... Don't bet the Farm On It ... you will forget !

Gary

RoyceP

If ya do this that won't ever happen again.

Attachments

• Loading Bench April 2020 b.jpg
    Loading Bench April 2020 b.jpg
    459.2 KB · Views: 39

rodfac

Only one can of powder on the bench at a time!
Yep, can't say it ^ too many times.
Ours is a craft where the consequences of complacency can be catastrophic.
Yep...been there loading 231 instead of Unique in .44 Magnum...the Smith 29 took the over load with no damage, but it took a cleaning rod to tap out the fired case. And I ended up breaking down the other 49 rounds with an inertial puller and was very glad to do it.....Rod