A Shooter

Yep a very nice place to shoot. Good shooting too. So its a blaster rifle you say. Well after seeing this rifle and its targeting. I sure would like to see the other target one you have. My Goodness this one shoots pretty good for a>Blaster only._:D

LAH

The rifle is fine for a field rifle and would probably shoot better with good loads. Also the barrel is very hard to clean so it is suspect. But what do I know except it's fun to shoot.

FreedomUIC

The rifle is fine for a field rifle and would probably shoot better with good loads. Also the barrel is very hard to clean so it is suspect. But what do I know except it's fun to shoot.

Why is that? Remove the bolt, shoot some foaming bore cleaner down
it, let it set for five minutes and run a brush through it. Follow with patches
until them come out clean. Final patch is one that has some lubricant on it.
The 700 is one of the easiest weapons to clean, unless I am missing something here. Q-Tips will handle the nooks and crannies.

LAH

Why is that?

I've spent 3 days off & on cleaning this barrel with a good tight brush, Bore-Tech & Montana Extreme, using a proper fitting patch & jag. I'm now getting a clean patch & now that the barrel is clean I'll put the Hawkeye bore scope in there to see the condition of the bore. From the effort it took to clean it I'm guessing it's rough, tool marks, etc.

The 700 is one of the easiest weapons to clean.

It is, much like a Winchester 70 & most other bolt guns but it's the barrel I'm speaking of here. With a good smooth barrel [Bartlein, Lilja, etc] it takes only a couple patches with Bore-Tech, a few passes of a brush & 3 or 4 patches of get a clean one. Even my Douglas Roberts Improved cleans near as easy.

LAH

Bore scoped the barrel today. My Smith said it was about as clean as they get. The throat looked fine but the bore is a mess. I followed one land its whole length & there was a place that looked like a crater was made by an F16. The grooves have many pits also. The crown wasn't cut square with the bore either. It's amazing what a bore scope shows.

The rifle was purchased used from a friend who never fired it. He purchased the rifle from a gun show best I remember. Any way it will need a barrel but not till I shoot a bunch of these cheap bullets I have on hand.

This is five, 5 shot 100 yard groups. The bullets are from many pounds of pulled bullets I purchased which came from an ammo plant going out of business. The soft noses are all deformed. The powder is 25 grains of pull down WC 844 from Talon lit with a Wolf SRM primer. I call these junk loads [meaning cheap] which I shoot for off hand practice.

HiBC

Given those results with the open base fmj bullets it might be interesting to shoot some good ones.I'd give a fair part of your group size to the bullets.
I understand you are shooting cheap,and that pesky bore scope gives you an excuse to buy a nice barrel,
But it might be fun to see what it will do with some MKs or BTs.

LAH

HiBC if you look at post #3 I shot a few of the Sierra 52 gr. HPBT. This is bullet #1410 which I used for years in my .22-250. The only powders I've tried with this bullet in the .223 is the pull down WC 844 & a slow lot of 4895 which came from GI Brass. The WC 844 did a better job in my limited test.

I have several different .224 "match" bullets I will try. I really didn't expect much from the "pulled" bullets fired yesterday. They were machine loaded & pulled so they have been through the mill.

At some point I will re-barrel but for now I'm enjoying the rifle & won't let a dirty patch bother me so much.

LAH

Yesterday I fired the rifle prone with the pulled bullets. I didn't use a sling & I've never trained to be a prone shooter so the results are what they are. I did purchase a mat & wanted to try it so I fired at 3 different targets, 2 steel & 1 paper which I photographed. Other targets included the 24" plate at 500 yards with I hit 2 of 5 shots. Anyway here are the pictures.

200 yard 8" paper plate, missed with 1.

300 yard 24" plate. I held center.

Next a 400 yard paper which someone left on the stand. I took 2 pictures but lost one somehow. I held on the top square. If you could see the complete target you would see 4 shots [missed completely with 1] strung vertically for 9". The group horizontally is less than 2". And if you could call this a group it would be centered 16 or 17 inches below POA using a 2" high @ 100 sight setting. It's hard to hold the tape & stay far enough from the target to get everything lined up correctly in the picture but the figures are close.

bamaranger

K10

Love that old Weaver. I am always impressed with how many of those old vintage Weavers and Redfields are still entirely functional. I've got a K12 that has never been rebuilt, is still tight and repeatable, to include two F/TR matches with 300+ rounds of .308 expended. The K12 is now back on the 22-250, and as reliable as ever.

LAH

Awesome write up. What barrel are you gonna put on it.

Should I keep the rifle in its present role I'm thinking Douglas because they are local. At present I have 2 of these short action Remington rifles & one will probably get a Krieger, Lilja or Bartlein in 6 or 6.5MM. The other will be a .223 simply because everyone needs a bulk shooter to hone their skills with.

And bamaranger that old K10 was on my first groundhog rifle in the early 70's & still tracks great. While it is old technology it does work especially on this rifle which is shot a mostly 300 yards & under.