A second gun just like the first?

spacecoast

What are the odds one of your guns will every have something fail? Even the best guns will have a spring fail at some point, unless you have amazingly good, consistent preventive maintenance.

Understood, however I have other non-identical alternatives that would work nearly as well, i.e. an LCP instead of a J-frame for pocket carry (or vice versa), a P345 instead of a P95 (which use the same holster), etc. I also keep a good stock of mainsprings, rebound springs, recoil springs, mag springs and other hardware on hand in case something should happen. I document every spring change/tweak I make and save the OEM springs in case they are needed.

What are the odds you'll decide to have a gunsmith modify a gun? Wouldn't it be nice to have one at home or on your person, while one is in the shop?

Pretty low, since I do my own trigger jobs and other light gunsmithing. And, when I do have to send one away, there are plenty of alternatives that fit a similar role without being identical.

What are the odds that you might want your wife to have a gun she can use, when you go on a road trip? Or do you leave her without one? Or do you go on the trip unarmed? (Of course, this assumes she doesn't have one of her own.)

No lack of guns for me or my wife, just not a lot of pairs of them. I bought the Model 64s because they were a great deal (<$200) and ended up deploying both of them into useful niches because they are great general-purpose guns.

I think parts interchangeability and such is great, but there are a lot of opportunities for that in families of non-identical guns. For instance, springs are shared amongst K, L and N-frame revolvers, etc.

MrBorland

I shoot a 4" 686 in IDPA, and have another as my backup gun - tuned and set up as close to my primary as possible.

686pair.jpg

zincwarrior

We have two Browning Buckmarks of identical mark. We had two Ruger target .22lrs until one finally shattered after about 40,000 rounds.

HawkeyeNRAlifer

I have three 10/22's, but each is a little different. I've two 8mm mausers but with different colored wood. I have thought about buying another Taurus PT145 since I like the first one so much, but don't see the need in it. Although "need" hasn't been a prerequisite in purchasing guns in the past.

surveyor

yes, not identical, grips differ, finishes differ, but close ..
the seconds did not start off as being intentional, as they were all range guns.

they were more of when my wife shot them she shot them well and liked them, so they were acquired with the plan of having a set of range guns for each of us, they ended up in 22,9,and 38/357

they have filled that role quite well. and I gained a shooting partner:D

now her ladysmith model 60..i'd like one of those.. so it can go in reverse.

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
While alternate types and models of "second guns" do fill the need when the primary is down, for some reason, I think the op is aimed at those who chose an essentially identical gun as a second gun.

In my case, none of my duplicats were obtained with the idea of being a backup/replacement for a primary gun. They were purchased more along the lines of lets see how this one does, compared to my other one.

I don't see anything wrong with using a second, or third example of a specific model as a backup for your primary, it does have the advantage of consistancy, over using a different gun when needed. And "backup" for your primary might mean using the spare for ...spare parts. Other than that, I don't see any specific advantge.

So, as I see it having a basically identical spare has a couple of plusses, that having a different model gun for a spare does not have.

Is this an important thing? Not for most of us, but there are credible situations where it might be. That being the case, I don't see where it could hurt any to have a spare or two, ..or three.....

But if your personal situation doesn't allow for that luxury, you should at least have one spare or backup gun of some kind. Because if you ever need to use that spare gun the odds are high that you will need it badly, and if you don't even have one to get to, then that severly narrows your options.

Viper225

How about a pair of LCR's, one a 357, and the second a 22LR. I have that combination.

OR

A 442 and a 43C for practice and training.

Having an economical to shoot practice gun exactly like your carry gun has some merit.

Bob

C0untZer0

Aren't most revolvers a duplicate of most other revolvers?

The differences between a Glock and S&W 639 and a Colt 1911 are pretty significant.

Is there really that much difference in how you operate a Model 27 or a Model 60 or a 686?

I mean - you pull the trigger :cool:

spacecoast

Yes and no. They may all be the same caliber, and use the same ammo, but not many (if any) parts are interchangeable between J, L and N frames. They also shoot differently and are much different in their ability to be carried and concealed.

BlueTrain

I had totally forgotten that at one time you could get .22 rimfire versions of several revolvers and even a few automatics.

Locoweed

I've got three Kel-Tec P3ATs -- two first generation and one second generation. I also have three S&W model 40-1s (classic series) -- one plain steel, one nickel plated and one color case hardened.
Remember in the movie The Good, The Bad and The Ugly when Clint Eastwood has his revolver apart cleaning it and in the meantime several bad guys are sneaking up on him? He should have had an identical pistol stuck in his belt to cover such contingencies. Just clean one at a time. When I take my EDC out for a routine cleaning I always feel unarmed while I have that pistol apart. Thus there might be a need for a second pistol to cover the down time.

aarondhgraham

I have a few near duplicates,,,

I have near duplicate revolvers,,,
A model 12, a model 15, and a model 67,,,
All 4" K-frame S&W's chambered for .38 Special.

Three different Ruger 22/45's:

The first two Rugers are my modern dueling pistols,,,
They are identical 6" slab-side stainless steel target models,,,
These are the two I take when I invite a guest to go out shooting.

The third is the most basic 4.5" slab-side fixed sight model,,,
This is the one I take out when I desire simplicity.

I also have seven identical rimfire/centerfire pairs,,,
Such as a S&W model 15/18 and a CZ-75B and a CZ-75B Kadet.

Aarond

BillCA

C0untZer0 said:

The differences between a Glock and S&W 639 and a Colt 1911 are pretty significant.

Is there really that much difference in how you operate a Model 27 or a Model 60 or a 686?

I mean - you pull the trigger

Spoken like a true neophyte. Your penance is to go shooting with someone who has revolvers and try them out. There is a significant difference between calibers of course but also within one caliber. For instance, when shooting a .357 Magnum, there's a lot of difference between shooting a snubby
M19_0632.jpg

versus shooting a six inch.
M19M_1356.jpg

There's a huge difference between shooting this 3-inch Model 31 .32 Long...
M31_1_TGsm.jpg

And shooting this 3-inch N-Frame
M657_1753M.jpg

While the manual of arms and basic principles of operation are the same the timing between shots (how far the trigger moves) differs, especially between the 5-shot J-frames and 8-shot N-Frame .357's. The result of firing can change tremendously too. Much more so than switching from a .22 to a .45 in a self-loader.

bossman

I'm always in the market for 3 in. J-frames. I don't care how many I already have, if the price is right it will come home with me. The thing to look for is, if the price is right, I won't overpay to get a gun I already have.

Love me some 38 spl's, such a great shooting round.

Seaman

"How many here have two identical handguns, revolvers included? " [BlueTrain]

Yes that would be the case, and there is a reason.

Carry guns are meant to be shot a little, just enough to check function and accuracy (thus ensuring handgun integrity).

Identical duplicates are meant to be shot a lot, to maintain a fighting edge.

Check your 6.