A second gun just like the first?

BlueTrain

This is sort of a follow-on to my thread about selling everything to buy one special gun, generally meaning one that is more expensive than all the others. Since options abound, which only makes everything more difficult, decision-wise, I have been thinking of other things.

How many own two more or less identical examples of the same gun? I think I may have had at one time two exact models of a long action S&W M&P revolver, both with five-inch barrels. If you aren't a two-gun carrier, there really isn't a lot of reasons to have two exact guns but there are some.

Naturally, no one here would admit that just one gun is sufficient, although most seem to think you need a different one for every possible reason to have a gun. I'm not sure I go along with that but having more than one is sometimes a handy thing. Anyhow, it just seems like a good idea to have a spare, just the same way the extra magazine (or clip!) that came with your pistol just doesn't seem like enough. In theory, it makes sense that if you have a second gun, it should work exactly like the first gun. But people who carry automatics sometimes carry a revolver as a backup with no apparent handicap, so maybe that is a weak argument. If nothing else, however, you wouldn't have to have a second set of magazines, assuming you aren't devoted to only revolvers.

How many here have two identical handguns, revolvers included?

MLeake

I have a S&W 13 and 2 65s, all in 3".

I have other sets of guns that are of same families, but different barrel or grip frame lengths.

I started getting multiples on the advice of Pax, when I signed up for a class at Firearms Academy of Seattle. She recommended I bring a spare gun, as students at FAS had encountered a small but significant weapon failure rate at past classes. Since I was shipping ammo (I do not live on the west coast, and FAS does not stock inventory or loaner guns), at the very least I would need the spare gun to be of the same caliber.

Figured I might as well get guns that could use the same holster, magazines, magazine holders, and cleaning gear while I was at it.

But why should we take the advice of trained professionals with regard to spares?

Oh, one other thought with regard to the "one gun" concept... In the unlikely event that would require a justifiable SD shooting, the one gun might be stuck in an evidence locker for a while. In such a case, might be nice to have a doppelgänger at home.

Last edited:

spacecoast

I have two identical Model 64s (stainless Model 10s) with 4" barrels - nearly ideal HD handguns. One's with me, the other's on duty with my parents. I also have two Model 10 snubbies, one nickeled and one blued. Both serve as car guns.

twin64s.jpg

Last edited:
while I have alot of handguns... I think the only ones I've competely copied with a 2nd are my CASS single action revolvers... I have an identical pair of Montados in 45 Colt( in fact these are consecutive serialed ), & I just bought a match to my long ago purchased stainless single six in 32 Mag, for my wife to use next summer... I also have 3 CZ-75's that started out the same, but one has since been "raced up" & the other two now wear 2 different grips

in my collections, I have many of the same models, with different barrel lengths or chambered in different calibers... but the 4 listed above are the only exact duplicates

I liked the Montado platform enough that I bought a 3rd for building my custom 45 Colt snubbie ( of which, I could see making a duplicate in the future, as it's one of my favorites )

AK103K

I keep at least doubles of everything I "use". You never know when something might break or you need a spare.

It also helps if things are all of the same "family". That way logistics tend to be easier. Mags and holsters will work across multiple guns.

Being able to rotate through them also takes the wear of of just one gun and everything gets shot, so you know your back ups arent a problem.

C0untZer0

I think this is where buying within a "family" of guns has advantages.

If you decide on the Springfield XD Tactical Model 5" for your nightstand gun, then maybe the Springfield XD Sub-Compact 3" makes a good carry gun. If you decide to carry a Glock 19 then maybe the Glock 26 makes a good backup and the G17 makes a good nightstand option.

When I think of carrying a Kahr CM9 or a Rohrbaugh R9 - what would be a backup to either of those except another CM9 or R9 ???

Last edited:

C0untZer0

In the unfortunate event that you become involved in armed conflict, your primary and backup (if you have one), are going to the evidence locker...

I guess for some it's a good excuse to go shopping, but like MLeake said, it might be nice to have an identical gun already at home.

If I decided on a Khar CM9 for primary carry and backup and they both got taken away, it's not like I can instantly go to LGD and pick one up cheap. First of all, I have a 72 hour waiting period regardless, and second of all - not every dealer has a CM9 sitting on the self. The one gun dealer around here who always has one charges $115.00 more for it than other dealers - and that's not even factoring in what you can get online - even counting the $20.00 transfer.

So anyway, for me at least, it would be a scramble to replace my preferred carry peice, and an expensive scramble at that.

I have two pairs, both semi-auto. I also have a couple of near pairs: an older Ruger Single Six convertible and a 50th Anniversary Single Six convertible, and then I have a Mauser M48 and an M24/47 (which are not the same but very similar).

If I could afford more guns I'm sure I would have more duplicates.

spacecoast

I can't see having a double just sitting around on the .000001% chance your primary is going to be taken from you after an "incident".

huntinaz

Not at the moment, but probably in the future. I had a couple Smith 686 4" for awhile. I'll soon have a Remington 870 Express and Wingmaster... both 12 Ga. Not exactly the same I guess, but essentially since my Express runs well.

MLeake

spacecoast, note that was only one argument among several.

What are the odds one of your guns will every have something fail? Even the best guns will have a spring fail at some point, unless you have amazingly good, consistent preventive maintenance.

What are the odds you'll decide to have a gunsmith modify a gun? Wouldn't it be nice to have one at home or on your person, while one is in the shop?

What are the odds that you might want your wife to have a gun she can use, when you go on a road trip? Or do you leave her without one? Or do you go on the trip unarmed? (Of course, this assumes she doesn't have one of her own.)

There are any number of valid reasons to have more than one. The only real reason not to have more than one (other than you just don't want to, which is valid) is that you save the cost of the additional gun. Other than that, what is the upside to having only the one?

44 AMP

Staff
I have a few "sets"

But I don't generally wear both at once. Although I am planning on it with a pair of 4.525" stainless .45 Colt Vaqueros, once I can locate a belt & holster set that can accomodate my enormous girth. Think I might like something with suspenders, too. :D

I have 4 S&W M28-2 6". Because I like them. 3 are identical except for stocks, and one has the target hammer & trigger (its my favorite).

I have a couple of Lugers with 4" barrels, a couple of Stoeger .22 Lugers, 3 1911s (with slightly different sights/grips) a pair of 7.5" .45 Colt Blackhawks, a .357 Blackhawk with a 6.5" barrel, two 5.5" .45Colt Vaqueros, (oneBisley, one regular), and several rifles that are identical except for scopes and calibers.

can't see having a double just sitting around on the .000001% chance your primary is going to be taken from you after an "incident".

True enough, its a tiny chance. More likely, to me is the tiny chance that something on your primary gun will break, requiring a trip to the shop, and days, if not weeks waiting for repair (and maybe shipping). Add them together and if you can afford it, it doesn't make sense NOT to have a spare. Plus, if circumstances warrant it, you have a gun to sell, or trade, and still have your chosen gun to keep and use.

Cheapshooter

Not from commercial makers, but I do have several of the same type, or models of milsurps. Just different country of origin, or particular model variations.

kinggabby

I have owned two of the same gun just not at the same time. Had a SW9VE when I was in North Dakota and had to trade it because we were in dire need of a vehicle . Got my second SW9VE When I moved back home to Oklahoma.

papa shooter

doubles

I have 14, 1911's one for every season. 2, Pythons both 6" 2 Diamondbacks both 4"
Nothing wrong with double ups is there?

Papa

BillCA

I rarely carry two guns. The only time I've done that is on long road trips where I might keep a CCW gun on my person and a larger, full size firearm in the car while driving. A good example is carrying my J-Frame .357 whilst keeping a Beretta 92FS handy should the trip turn fugly.

It makes sense to have a spare gun -- at least one similar enough that it will use the same ammo/magazines or holsters. I have a number of K-Frame S&W wheelguns -- same holsters, same speedloaders, same ammo -- which reduces logistical clutter.

Then, sometimes you just buy more than one because it's one of your favorite guns for whatever reason you want.

M39x4M_1571.jpg

S&W Model 39's

Logic may have nothing to do with it -- or logic plays a lesser role than sentiment. :)