A Revolver Hiatus?? What to Add to the Collection?

Ricklin

Why not

I've got a soft spot for the Smith model 53, 22 jet. Be the only kid on your block.

I missed out on a nice one, still looking to "steal" one when it pops up.

I'm not familiar with S&W's new model numbering system, so only have a vague idea what you have.

At first I said to myself, come on Bob, S&W changed over to a numbering system in 1957. Where have you been?

But then I saw some of the model numbers the OP listed, and I realized I have no idea what some of them are either. Not to mention using the name Ladysmith for a 38, or M&P for a Semi-Auto. I guess I'm just out of step.

To the OP: I will second Bob's thoughts. Try to find some of the nice old ones.

How about a nice old Triple Lock?

Triple%20Lock%2001_zps5ilw6ied.jpg

Or a nice old 38-44 Outdoorsman?

38-44%20Outdoorsman%2001_zpskykl0hpb.jpg

Or something a little bit unusual like a 22/32 Heavy Frame Bekaert model?

22-32heavyframetarget_zpsfccaa2d3.jpg

Or a real Ladysmith?

Ladysmith%20in%20Hand_zpsdtyyibbp.jpg

Or something from the 19th Century like a New Model Number Three?

New%20Model%20Number%20Three%20Blue%2031022%2001_zpsmbzqn4z8.jpg

Or a Colt New Frontier?

I can't post a photo because Bob keeps buying them all.

There are so many cool old guns out there, half the fun is learning about them, the other half is shooting them.

old bear

Wheel - Gunner, nice assortment you've amassed so far.
Unless I missed them, on your list, I'd suggest the following:
1- Smith and Wesson 2 1/2" model 19.
2- Smith and Wesson 2 1/2" model 66.
3- Smith and Wesson 4" model 586.
4- Smith and Wesson 4" model 581.
5- Smith and Wesson 4" 38/44 Heavy Duty.

Good Luck

Real Gun

I didn't see a 3" Chief's Special 36-1. Mine is nickel-plated.

45 Colt is the caliber that takes full advantage of the size of the Redhawk cylinder. I have 4.25 and 5.5 barrels and recommend the longer as a range or hunting gun. I consider it the ultimate "Ruger-only" load gun without going super size. Mine is ported. The longer barrel is no longer offered in 45 Colt, so you would have to shop for a used one.

BigJimP

I'm a big fan of the .357 Mag as well...and S&W ...I have 11 of them in .357 mag / several in .44 mag/ a couple of .22's ...and there is always room for more !! .....( no interest in colts for me either...)...couple of thoughts to consider:

1. You didn't say if you have blued or nickel, but consider a few Nickel guns in 19's, 27's or 29's ( I like a mix of both in my collection )...Nickel holds up against holster wear real well. A Nickel 27-2 in 4" is one of the best guns I own. Its nice to have something like a model 27-2 4" blued & nickel ..like a set ...

2. A mod 66 in 2 1/2"
3. A mod 629 ( I have them in 3", 6" and 8 3/8"...) nice guns.
4. I don't think you had a model 17 or 18 ( I like the 18 ).

5. Not a S&W but Freedom Arms makes a nice single action gun. I ordered a 4 3/4" Octagonal barrel, in their mod 83 a few yrs ago...and it fits right in with my S&W collection. They are true pieces of craftmanship. Here is mine..

https://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82010&d=1339790943

So you have lots of ways to go...

Last edited:

peterg7

Hey guys, I hope everyone and their families have had a wonderful 2018 thus far. Over the years I have made it a habit to drop by my fav local guns shops on a regular basis, adding to my revolver collection whenever I see something that I feel is worthy to take up some space in my safe. The purpose of this thread is not to be braggadocios in any way, does anyone really think they can compete with Bob Wright?? Anyway, I worked my butt off in school for 10 years and don't really have many guilty pleasures aside from firearms, revolvers in particular. I don't drive luxury cars, live in a luxury home, etc, etc.

I still make it a habit to drop by my local shops regularly, but over the past year or so nothing really follows me home. This got me thinking, have I hit a revolver plateau? Is there anything missing from my somewhat practical collection? Perhaps I need to introduce a new caliber. I don't have any real desire to have every barrel length for a particular model, nor to have a detailed inventory of every revolver ever made....nothing like that. One model of the classics that I am interested in is sufficient for me for the most part.

So here are the models I have, including barrel length(s):

S&W: 10-11, 4"; 14, 6"; 19-4, 4"; 27, 8 3/8"; 28-2, 4"; 29-2, 4"; 36, 2"; 65-3, 3"; 66-2, 4"; 337; 342PD; 586, 4", 6"; 617-4, 6"; 640-1, 2"; 642-1, 2"; 649-3, 2"; 686+, 5"

None of my Smiths have the dreaded internal lock, nor will I own one with it. Some feel like that is foolish, but to each their own.

Ruger: Bearcat; Blackhawk, 45lc/45acp, 5.5"; GP100, 357, 4", 6", 3" WC; LCRx, 38 spec, .22lr, 3"; Vaquero, 45acp, 357, 3.75" birdshead, 3.75" birdshead, 5.5" bisley; Security-Six, 4", 6"; Single-Six, .22lr/.22mag, 9.5"; Single-Ten, 4.62"; SP101, .22lr, 357, 4", 2", 3"; Super Blackhawk, 44mag, 10.5".

There you have it. Obviously .38/357 is my favorite caliber. I have thought about introducing a new caliber, but just haven't. I don't feel a strong urge to get something outside the most popular cartridges, but I have thought about it an awful lot.

I know what some of you are thinking.....where are the Colts!? Well, I have owned a couple and have friends that have owned an awful lot more. I had three, two of which developed timing issues, the other developed a firing pin issue. An absolute pain to get someone to work on them. My friends have had similar experiences, but also great experiences. Maybe I just had bad luck with 3/3 having issues. I guess I would just rather have a Smith or Ruger.

So any glaring omissions with my collection? Anything I should absolutely add to my list of models to watch for? Anyone else experience a revolver hiatus?

common production guns are fine but without Colts or customs you seem to be in accumulator stage. How about something from Freedom Arms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baba Louie

No 21st Century Wheel Guns?

Go fondle a new Kimber K6s and one of those funny Chiappa Rhinos for grins and snickers.

Heck, if you can find one, fondle a new Colt Cobra (that's not really a Cobra, but it has the Pony, is new and shouldn't have timing issues of yore).