A Revolver Hiatus?? What to Add to the Collection?

Wheel-Gunner

Hey guys, I hope everyone and their families have had a wonderful 2018 thus far. Over the years I have made it a habit to drop by my fav local guns shops on a regular basis, adding to my revolver collection whenever I see something that I feel is worthy to take up some space in my safe. The purpose of this thread is not to be braggadocios in any way, does anyone really think they can compete with Bob Wright?? Anyway, I worked my butt off in school for 10 years and don't really have many guilty pleasures aside from firearms, revolvers in particular. I don't drive luxury cars, live in a luxury home, etc, etc.

I still make it a habit to drop by my local shops regularly, but over the past year or so nothing really follows me home. This got me thinking, have I hit a revolver plateau? Is there anything missing from my somewhat practical collection? Perhaps I need to introduce a new caliber. I don't have any real desire to have every barrel length for a particular model, nor to have a detailed inventory of every revolver ever made....nothing like that. One model of the classics that I am interested in is sufficient for me for the most part.

So here are the models I have, including barrel length(s):

S&W: 10-11, 4"; 14, 6"; 19-4, 4"; 27, 8 3/8"; 28-2, 4"; 29-2, 4"; 36, 2"; 65-3, 3"; 66-2, 4"; 337; 342PD; 586, 4", 6"; 617-4, 6"; 640-1, 2"; 642-1, 2"; 649-3, 2"; 686+, 5"

None of my Smiths have the dreaded internal lock, nor will I own one with it. Some feel like that is foolish, but to each their own.

Ruger: Bearcat; Blackhawk, 45lc/45acp, 5.5"; GP100, 357, 4", 6", 3" WC; LCRx, 38 spec, .22lr, 3"; Vaquero, 45acp, 357, 3.75" birdshead, 3.75" birdshead, 5.5" bisley; Security-Six, 4", 6"; Single-Six, .22lr/.22mag, 9.5"; Single-Ten, 4.62"; SP101, .22lr, 357, 4", 2", 3"; Super Blackhawk, 44mag, 10.5".

There you have it. Obviously .38/357 is my favorite caliber. I have thought about introducing a new caliber, but just haven't. I don't feel a strong urge to get something outside the most popular cartridges, but I have thought about it an awful lot.

I know what some of you are thinking.....where are the Colts!? Well, I have owned a couple and have friends that have owned an awful lot more. I had three, two of which developed timing issues, the other developed a firing pin issue. An absolute pain to get someone to work on them. My friends have had similar experiences, but also great experiences. Maybe I just had bad luck with 3/3 having issues. I guess I would just rather have a Smith or Ruger.

So any glaring omissions with my collection? Anything I should absolutely add to my list of models to watch for? Anyone else experience a revolver hiatus?

buck460XVR

None of my Smiths have the dreaded internal lock, nor will I own one with it. Some feel like that is foolish, but to each their own.

You say you have a 686+ 5"........I was under the impression that all 686+ models had the IL. While you dislike the IL, if you like S&W .357s, their new P.C. 686s are sweet.

11759_01_lg.jpg

Kvon2

Maybe you should try that instead of worrying how many more guns you can stuff in your safe?

not big on this comment. 1, you don't know that he isn't and 2. If someone's interests are different than yours, that's okay.

bn12gg

Humpf..! Build yourself a solid Colt "Snake Gun" collection. That, should keep you busy plus set you back some coin $. Fwiw -- no guts, no glory !

.02. David. :D

tallball

Maybe one of those cool old British break-open revolvers... like the Webley.

The Colt and S&W WWI revolvers in 45acp are nice, too.

The OP obviously has his shooting needs covered, so maybe something "classic".

K_Mac

I'm not a collector so really can't help you.

I'd rather be out shooting and practicing reload drills etc.

Maybe you should try that instead of worrying how many more guns you can stuff in your safe?

I'm not a collector either M12, but if I had the disposable income I might be. Whether it's your thing or not there is no need to be critical of those who choose to collect. It's much like being critical of those who choose to make modifications to perfectly usable new guns.:p Your cash, your guns, whatever makes you happy.

Wheel-Gunner I am not really a revolver guy, and you have already excluded Colts, but if you are just looking to add to your impressive collection a pristine deeply blued snake gun might fill a spot.

Bob Wright

I'm not familiar with S&W's new model numbering system, so only have a vague idea what you have. But .38-44 Heavy Duty doesn't seem to be in your listing so far as I can tell. Or a good Triple Lock .44 Special.

But Colt New Frontiers are lacking, and I've been on that run for awhile. The New Frontier was Colt's ultimate Single Action revolver, and came in a variety of barrel lengths, though only .44 Specials and .45 Colts are obtainable now.

Bob Wright

reddog81

It looks like you've got S&W covered for the decades from the 70's to the 90's. There was a lot manufactured before that and a lot of innovative stuff being made today. There are plenty of pre-model number guns that are reasonably priced and would fit into your collection - 1917, combat masterpiece, K-38 target masterpiece, Highway Patrolman, etc. I've got models going back every decade to 1880's. My most recent purchase is a 929 - 8 shot N frame 9mm revolver and its the only new S&W I've bought. My only other S&W with a lock is a 325PD. Both of these guns are high quality, excellent shooters and have dispelled my aversion to newer S&W's. I still want a 8 shot .357 and might pick up a new 627 later this year. Limiting yourself to pre-lock guns only handicaps you from buying some of the newer options. The 44 Mag L frame model 69 is another on that interests me.

BBarn

A few thoughts which may or may not appeal to you.

A Bisley Super Blackhawk in 454 Casull or 480 Ruger. I find the balance nice for a 6 1/2" barrel, and like the recessed chambers, long ejector rod, and the fact that it's a five shot (the cylinder lines up nice for loading/unloading). With the Casull you have the 45 Colt option so you aren't required to add/shoot another caliber.

Similar options with a big Smith.

A Colt Diamondback in 22LR. The lower power round !ay be less prone to timing issues.

A Redhawk. Currently available in a few different chamberings and barrel lengths.

muzzleblast...

It looks like you assemblage of S&Ws is pretty nice. IMO there are a few holes that can be filled to round it out. 1. a J-frame snubbie rimfire like the M-34, or M43C. 2. a .45ACP N-frame like the 25-2 or 625 and 3. a .41 magnum, either M-57 or 58. S&W has made so many variants that having most of them would require a small fortune.

As far as Rugers, looks like you are missing a Redhawk .44 mag.

Happy hunting!

Wheel-Gunner

I was under the impression that all 686+ models had the IL

Nope, holding mine right now....no IL

I'd rather be out shooting and practicing reload drills etc.

Maybe you shouldn't hide behind your computer and make comments about people you know nothing about.

Now, I don't shoot as much as I used to. I was a member of a NCAA National Championship shooting team, where I was able to hold my own with my S&W 617. I was the only guy with a revolver and competed fine against those with semi-autos.

I try to shoot 1000 rounds a month. Sometimes I reach that goal, other times I do not. One day I will have my own shooting range on some property which will make it easier to shoot that much and more.

By the way, what did you contribute to this thread?? Many of the threads I read may not appeal to me.....I move on. No need to post a dumb, irrelevant, and incorrect comment.

Limiting yourself to pre-lock guns only handicaps you from buying some of the newer options.

Agreed, but I still can't take the plunge personally.

A Redhawk

As far as Rugers, looks like you are missing a Redhawk .44 mag

I agree. I may get one of those 8-shot 357mag Redhawks. A .44 would be good as well.......a Smith 629 would be good too.

Thanks for most of the replies. Many of you have me thinking about some different options. I enjoy the hunt almost as much as I do shooting them.

105kw

How about a Model 12 Airweight M&P?

Great 38 Special, classic old gun.
Good shooters in either 4 or 2 inch.

Sgt127

ukHjkn6.jpg

You have a nice selection. Little tough to find but, a 2 3/4” Ruger Speed Six would make a nice addition.

tnDbsZM.jpg

There’s always the pinnacle of Revolver collecting. The Registered Magnum.

NVChzHP.jpg

Even old and beat up, they’re pretty cool.

DaleA

I always had a desire to own one of the Dan Wesson 'Pistol Packs'.

You probably remember them, you open up the case and there were the different barrels, the different grips and the different sights...a wrench for the barrel shroud and if I'm not mistaken a feeler gauge to get the barrel cylinder gap set right. (I really might be mistaken about that though.)

I thought they were cool back then and still do. Plus they had a pretty good reputation for accuracy.