A question of terms...

TailGator

The problem with the distinction between NDs and ADs is that is a distinction clear only to those who know the terminology. Someone who doesn't know "our" lingo looks at the words "accidental discharge" and thinks, "a firearm was discharged by accident, unintentionally" and is not aware that to us it strongly implies a mechanical failure. They are therefore very likely to use the word in a way that is considered improper by gun people. For the sake of clarity to non-gun people, it might be helpful to use the term AD as an umbrella term, ND for those unintentional discharges that are attributable to negligence, and another term clearly describing a mechanical failure for those that result from a mechanical failure.

I understand the sentiment of holding people responsible for their mishandling of firearms, but it would be nice to use terminology that is clear to outsiders, too.

RickB

Also note that if it's yet to be determined whether the discharge was accidental or negligent, the phrase "went off" is applied. This phrase is used so frequently (eg, "they were wrestling for the gun when it went off"), that more than a few people believe that guns can and will spontaneously discharge, and that's why they are so dangerous. If you leave the gun unattended, it could "go off" and hurt someone.

I understand the sentiment of holding people responsible for their mishandling of firearms, but it would be nice to use terminology that is clear to outsiders, too.
I don't usually give the general public much credit, but I think most folks know the term "negligent."

cambeul41

It depends upon with whom one is talking .

In general terms, I am a bit exasperated with those who insist on using a word according to a relatively new technical or professional definition when the world around us uses it much older and less precise way.

For example, psychologists have a much more precise and limited definition for "instinct/instinctive"than the meanings used by the general population.

On a gun board, we can be more precise, but with the outside world are we justified in being so persnickety?

jmr40

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negligence

Please read the definiton of negligence. Some gun owners want to say that any unintended discharge of a firearm is negligence. The "holyer than thou" attitude. It is entirely possible for the worlds most careful gun owner to have a brain fart and discharge a gun accidently. For it to rise to the level of negligence they have to be doing something that any reasonable person would considere dangerous proir to the gun discharging.

If we start calling all AD's ND's that is food for anti-gunners to claim that the very act of owning a gun is negligence.

Evan Thomas

jmr40 said:
It is entirely possible for the worlds most careful gun owner to have a brain fart and discharge a gun accidently.
Actually, no, it isn't, if that gun owner is conscientious about following the Four Rules. If he's not following those rules, then he is "doing something that any reasonable [gun owner] would consider dangerous."

Hence, "negligent discharge."

I'd argue that we do ourselves more good with anti-gunners (a term I dislike as needlessly divisive, in any case), and with the world at large, by not trivializing careless behavior as "brain farts."

44 AMP

Staff
Since it was my question, let me guide the discussion, a bit. And thank you for all the replies so far.

I am referring to describing the gun's state, at the moment of discharge. Who/what is damaged or injured by the bullet is not relevent to the point I wish to discuss. Saying an "accident" was negligence because someone was hurt is not the point under discussion.

I would like to also exclude the train of thought that says "negligent owner, a good cleaning or inspection would have revealed the problem..etc..."

While that may well be true, I hardly think it fair for us to expect ordinary gun owners to be able to recognize a sear worn to the point where it may fail, or safety engagement surfaces....the majority of gun owners never see these parts. I would put it akin to saying the driver was negligent for not noticing a hole in the seal of his master cylinder the last time he cleaned his car.

Here's one example, a personal friend had one of the later model Walthers (PP Super, I think, but the exact model doesn't matter, really). Bought the gun used, but in apparent good shape from a shop. Shot it a bit, carried it for several months, before finding out there was a serious problem.

He was at the range, and let a friend try the gun. Friend points gun downrange, cycles it, and then, wheh he puts the safety ON, the gun fires! It does this repeatedly. Gun owner takes the gun, and it does the same thing. BUT, when the gun owner puts the safety on the way he always did, with the gun tilted over sideways (so he could reach the safety lever) hammer drops, gun does NOT fire (normal operation). Holding the gun upright, working the safety drops the hammer, and the gun fires!

He takes the gun back to the shop, and after careful checkout, the smith says, parts were broken, in just such a way that when the gun was laid over sideways, they still worked, but when upright, normal shooting grip, the didn't work anymore. Never seen one do just that...etc..

In this unusual incident, I would consider the discarge accidental, and through no fault of the user. Nor do I hold the owner negligent for not disassembling the pistol to inspect all the parts. Nor would he likely have known what he was looking at, had he done so.

Maybe the factory was negligent, but not all breakage or malfunctions of mechanisms are the fault of the factory, either.

Now, something like the famous internet video clip of "only one here trained to handle the GLock FOU-TAY....I hold that to be negligent.

I don't think we are giving the antis more ammo when we discuss negligent discharges, as such. I actually think we are doing a greater disservice to ourselves when we act/speak to cover up or minimize these things. Sure, we all ought to be perfect gun handlers and owners, but we aren't. Simple truth is that there are a lot of people who, while they have the right, don't have the responsibility to be good gun owners. And I think that not pointing that out, because it makes us all "look bad" is false economy.

I don't care what subject you look at, safe, sane, responsible people SHOULD be able to be distanced from the irresponsible idiots. (and no, I don't think we should have to be made to pay for their actions, either)

Not calling a spade a spade and saying (when the evidence is clear) that "X happened because you did something stupid with a loaded gun" , but rather to have to say manual earth moving device; "you had an accident" is not going to make any of the antis (who already hate us) not like us any more....

Perhaps negligent is not the best word, but if not, what would suit better? And I mean for those times where a gun is fired because of a finger on the trigger when it shouldn't have been?

Some models of guns have unique manual of arms for proper operation, some are even exactly opposite of others.

Another example, again from personal knowledge;
Security agent gets trained on newly issued UZI smg. Is showing some fellow agents the gun and has "accidental" discharge. Now this was entirely a case of operator error, but was not truely "negligent", as the user conciously did exactly what he was used to doing to ready his weapon for service. He opened the bolt, checked to make sure the chamber was empty, then inserted the magazine, and released the bolt to load it. Exactly what he had been doing with all the guns he had used for well over a decade.

BUT EXACTLY the WRONG thing to do with an Uzi SMG. Or any other open bolt weapon. Root cause? While he had been trained on the Uzi, he hadn't been trained enough to overcome a decade of conditioning. Negligent in the sense that the user did the wrong thing, thinking they were doing it right.

and btw, the official report said it was an accident.

I think negligent is a fair term to use when we limit the discussion to what specifically made the gun discharge. What set up the conditions leading to the discharge is not relevent, it should be a separate part of the discussion. Likewise, what results from the discharge is also outside the scope of the discussion. Again, a separate discussion for that, please.

C0untZer0

Well in the spirit of self-policing, the shooting community has a tendency to call anything that violated the 4 rules of safe firearm handling an ND.

A guy is pointing his rifle down range, take the safety off and it fires - most in the shooting community will say that was an AD.

A guy is walking up to the firing line, takes the safety off and it fires and hits a person in the next booth - those same people in the shooting community will say that was an ND because he violated rule #1 Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction (Or Cooper's rule #2).

I think the scope of an accidental discharge should be confined to the discharge itself - not events that occur after the fact.

And when it comes to defining negligence, what do we have besides the 4 rules?

I think there is widespread agreement on the rules but once we get past those - there's a lot of disagreement on what would constitute negligence.

For instance, I think, that when teaching a firearms safety class, it's a good practice to keep your own carry gun or duty gun - complety separate from the glass. I think it's an extremely bad practice to incorporate your own carry sidearm into the class as a teaching tool or teaching prop.

If another gun is needed to illustrate a point - I say get another gun for that purpose. Have two categories - the guns for class and your own weapon and never the two shall meet.

Even if Lee Paige had pointed his gun in a "safe" direction (which is debatable but I suppose ultimately define by if the bullet hit someone or not), Paige still would have been a YouTube hit for that discharge. If Lee Paige had followed what I think to be a good idea, (not using your carry piece for a teching aid), then he wouldn't have ended up being such an Internet celebrity. But there are a lot of people out there who disagree with me.

I just think once we get away from the 4 rules, there isn't much agreement on what constitutes negligent.

Evan Thomas

C0untZer0 said:
A guy is walking up to the firing line, takes the safety off and it fires and hits a person in the next booth - those same people in the shooting community will say that was an ND because he violated rule #1 Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction (Or Cooper's rule #2).
This, together with 44 AMP's last post, is clarifying for me. I take his point about limiting "ND" to "those times where a gun is fired because of a finger on the trigger when it shouldn't have been."

My first reaction was to include your hypothetical incident as an ND -- there are good reasons why sweeping other folks with the muzzle of your gun is, um, frowned upon -- but as I think about it, I see the point of calling it an AD. However, I'm not comfortable with the thought that such incidents should be called "accidents" when they clearly involve negligent gun handling.

...when it comes to defining negligence, what do we have besides the 4 rules?

I think there is widespread agreement on the rules but once we get past those - there's a lot of disagreement on what would constitute negligence.
I think this is 44 AMP's point, more or less: that a discharge that results from unsafe gun handling is a negligent discharge, but if the gun is being handled safely and goes off due to a mechanical failure, that's not necessarily negligence. Although the owner could in principle have known that the gun wasn't mechanically sound, that's not a reasonable expectation.

On the other hand, if it could be shown that the owner knew the gun was faulty, and it went off while holstered and injured someone, that would be an accidental discharge in which the owner was negligent, as would the example you gave in which the owner was doing something unsafe with the gun when it went off accidentally.

So, how best to distinguish a negligent discharge from the consequences of other negligent gun handling, which shouldn't, IMO, be called "accidental"...?

Last edited:

TailGator

I think most folks know the term "negligent."

I agree entirely, Tom. What I was referring to was that I don't think most non-gun folks equate "accidental" with a mechanical failure. I guess I got too wordy and didn't make myself clear.

Skadoosh

I brought this very topic up a few days ago in a thread the never bothered to differentiate between the two types of unintentional discharges, lumping all unintentional discharges as "accidental".

Seemingly most of the posters did not care to acknowledge that there is a difference or that the difference comes down to liability...who/what is at fault.

I am glad that the moderators found it to be important enough topic to open a new thread discussing the difference between the two.

Last edited:

Flopsweat

Meh. Plenty of us call car wrecks accidents when we all know that most of the time they are the result of bone-headery. I don't disagree with anything you've said, but I'm just not that concerned. To me it's like saying "clip". We know you mean "magazine", and I've gone from being tired of fighting the urge to correct it to just not caring anymore. Call it whatever you want, just don't do it around me. :)