A question for those who have had to use it

sterno

I was thinking earlier about what would happen to my gun if (god forbid) I ever had to shoot someone with it.

I know that it would be tied up in the legal system for a long while bit I'd guess you eventually get it back. But after that, would I still feel comfortable carrying a pistol that's killed someone? Or would I feel better about carrying it because it proved it's ability when the SHTF? If I sold it, would I feel compelled to tell the buyer that it's a "Blood Gun"?

So I pose that question to people who have been through what I'm talking about. I'd like to hear not only from civillians but from LEO's and millitary as well.

USP45usp

Not to nitpick:

carrying a pistol that's killed someone

Sounds like an anti soundbite. The pistol/gun didn't kill anyone, you did. And you didn't "kill them", you used a tool to protect yours or someone else's life.

I've not ever had to use mine and I pray to God that I never will have to but if I did, I wouldn't sell the gun or give it away or hide it in the safe. I have used a tool, for the purpose that I bought it for, and why should I feel that the tool is now a "blood tool"?

Just my thoughts on the issue.

Wayne

BerettaCougar

This guy once told me that, you need to have one primary CC weapon that you practice with all the time, and a backup cc weapon (although most here have like 50+ CC firearms) Just in case you need to use your primary.. because you wont be getting it back for a few weeks.

USP45usp

BC,

That is why I have four primary weapons:

Kimber .45
USP .45
FM 9mm
Tauras .44 special

I practice with them the same. I know that the gun used will be held up in court for weeks, maybe months.

Wayne

(as for the .44 special, it's a great gun for it being a snubby and it's not hard (or hurtful) to fire).

Edward429451

still feel comfortable carrying a pistol that's killed someone?

Sure, why not, would it poltergeist on you or something? :rolleyes:

I would consider it to have paid for itself at that point and feel good about it. I wouldn't consider it a trophy or anything weird like that, just feel good that I got a good working powertool thats paid for. I got value back out of it... I probably wouldn't sell it off either, who wants to sell off a bought & paid for powertool thats served well? It's a keeper at that point.

I say this without having ever shot anyone either. Who knows? It may poltergeist on me for real and then I may feel different. :eek: :D

chris in va

A lefty friend of mine was looking to buy a revolver from her ex, but when she found out it was used to kill someone (when/how/why, I don't know) she changed her mind.

Honestly I would feel a little weird about that too... :(

oystermick

If I may use the old cliché, Guns don't kill people, people kill people. My hammer doesn't drive nails, I use the hammer to drive nails.
sterno, you pose a very odd question. If you shoot someone in a justifiable self defense situation, what makes it a "Blood Gun"? If you're squeamish about the concept of using a weapon for self defense, you might well reconsider carrying a weapon.

sterno

I don't have a problem with using a gun for self defense.

I was just curious to hear from people who have been in that situation what happened to the particular firearm they used.

You're right, guns don't kill people. But I wouldn't really want to live in a house where someone's been killed or drive a car someone used to run somebody over with. Personally I don't think I'd get rid of a gun I used against someone in self defense but since I've never been it that situation, I wanted to hear what people who have been in that situation have done.

CajunBass

A few, well more than a few, almost 30 years ago, my Aunt shot her husband (My Uncle of course) to death, then turned the pistol on herself. A few months later, after the investigation was over, (there was more to it than just the shooting.) the law returned the pistol to my cousin. As far as I know, she still has the gun today. She never expressed any concern about it. (Or any other gun.)

Not quite what you asked, but it's as close as anything I personally know of.

michael t

I see no reason to not keep or buy. A guy was killed in my front yard years back in a fight over a cow. Didn't stop us from buying the house.

ksstargazer

Probably most of my military surplus rifles (especially my preWinter War Finns) were involved in killing other people. Don't let it bother you - it's not the guns fault. ;)

jefnvk

I have a few guns that were picked up on the battlefield. The guy that used them was most likely killed (the Arisaka, knowing how the Japs refused to surrender), and probably killed (an American picking up an Enfield meant that the guy was killed, or unlikely traded/sold his gun).

Plus the Russian captured K98, from what I understand, many were captured in Stalingrad. And the Yugo M48, likely used in their civil war. And the M1, which looks like it was sent to a unit that was in the Hurtgen forests, possibly the 03, which many landed with on Iwo Jima and Guadalcanal, and the M95, chances are that going through two wars would have at least one kill on it.

The only mlsurps I have with a clean record, are the Yugo SKS, and the K31, and even the K31 is a question mark. Doubtful, but the chance is there.

Now, I don;t know about a gun that I personally used, but my guess is it would be retired, it has done its duty well, if I ever seen it again.

Personally, I plan on finding some inexpensive, reliable guns if I ever get a carry permit, and just writing off anything that gets used in a defensive shooting. I'd rather lose a $300 gun than a $1000 Kimber, and have an exact backup ready to go.

Bare

Let's see, Billy-the-Kid's gun sells for about a $million, Wyatt Earps, maybe the same, Wild Bill's Navy Colts for a couple. Just think if you lucky enough to shoot Richard Davis, Gary Ridgeway or someone else of that nature, when you get it back people will be clamoring to get it away from you and you can buy yourself a new one.
Page two. :D

big daddy 9mm

I can see both sides

in one way it would bother me but really they did deserve it so....

also there is a diff in defending your self and murdering someone just out of hate. and it also depends on if you think of the 'situation' everytime you look at it. if I had to shoot someone and I thought of it every time I look at the gun I would just put it away for a long time, if not then carry it.
if I wanted to buy a gun and I founf out that it was used in a rape or robbery and it bothered me I would ask the gun shop to get me the another gun the same model. just my feelings. :) :)

blackmind

A lefty friend of mine was looking to buy a revolver from her ex, but when she found out it was used to kill someone (when/how/why, I don't know) she changed her mind.

Honestly I would feel a little weird about that too...

I have to admit to a little inconsistency about this kind of subject, myself.

If I used my gun to kill someone justifiably, I believe I would have no problem keeping it and continuing to use it. I can't think of why I would scorn a weapon that I had used to save my own life!

But I don't care for buying used weapons in the first place. I would probably not feel 100% comfortable buying one that had been used to kill, but I really don't know why. After all, don't people buy houses in which people may have died (either by illness or other causes)? My mother died in the house she lived in. I suppose that real estate agents selling the house later might either not even know it, or simply would not bother mentioning it. And I don't see what relevance it has. I think any people who believe that my mother would bother to haunt the house are pretty loony. :D So I discount that fear when I consider this subject. Likewise, I discount the notion that a dead criminal would/could haunt the gun that killed him.

The more I think about this, the less I would have against buying/owning/keeping a gun that had been used to kill in righteousness. I try to not be very superstitious.

This woman who would not buy the revolver from her ex, I wonder if she would hold the same sort of feeling about other items, like a car in which someone had died, or a house where someone had died, etc.

-blackmind

ArKay

I have a Krag rifle that ,at some point in it's history,was probably used to save it's owners' bacon.I have no problem shooting it and enjoying it.Just my 2 cents

XDoctor

I own several firearms that have been in major battles over the last 200 years. Of course, on those its a bit of history.