A New American Made Single Action

Howdy Again

As the owner of two 1st Gen Colts and two 2nd Gen Colts, I of course have great fondness for real Colts. I have also owned a couple of Uberti Cattlemen in the past, still have one, so I feel I am qualified to comment on them too.

But besides that, I do not fall into the 'nothing is as good as a Colt' camp.

Certain legal issues regarding the state where I reside prevented me from buying a USFA revolver while they were still in business, other wise I would have grabbed one in a heartbeat.

I have never been inside a USFA, I do know the insides of a Colt and an Uberti by heart, and I could name several reasons why I think a Colt is better than an Uberti. Everything I ever heard about USFA was they were at least as good, if not better, than a Colt. Sadly, I doubt I will ever own one so I will not be able to report first hand.

As some of you may know, I am an active CAS shooter and have a chance to talk to a lot of shooters. I also attend auctions fairly often, and I can attest there is plenty of demand for Colts. I see them at auctions all the time, 1st Gens, 2nd Gens, and 3rd Gens. The bidding for them is always brisk, and they always go for a lot of money. Granted, the bidders may not be the same folks who frequent this board, but there is plenty of demand for Colts.

Until quite recently, Colt was only producing the SAA in their Custom Shop. As I understand it, there was a supervisor and maybe two employees building all the Single Action Army revolvers. That's it. The output was very low with so few people turning them out, so the backlog was high. Maybe three years. Very recently, Colt laid off the supervisor of the Custom Shop, so now there will probably be fewer produced every month.

For those of you who are complaining about $1600 for the new USA made single action revolver, good luck. I am betting he will be able to sell everything he produces at that price. If you want a real Colt, get in line, they are backed up through the wazoo. Or start beating the bushes and attending auctions.

For the gent who said he would like to see them priced at $1000 - good luck. I'm sure the new guy is in business to make money, just like old Sam Colt was. I would be willing to bet that this new venture will produce some top notch pistols. And they will be priced so the company can make a fair, not exorbitant, profit.

P.S. let's be sure to separate quality from collector's value. They are not the same. What a collector is willing to pay for something sometimes has nothing at all to do with the quality of the piece. Other things such as rarity and provenance enter into collector's value.

Last edited:

DPris

Member Emeritus
The Model P was built by one guy in recent years, outside the Custom Shop.
Only special-order Ps went through the CS for work beyond what that single worker did in building the regular production guns, and Brent did not do any work on CS guns at all.
He was not a gunsmith.

His loss is major, to both Colt & customers, but should not affect the Model P flow through the Custom Shop.
Denis

bedbugbilly

Let's see . . . one of these "non Colts" @ $1,500 or three Ubertis @ $1,500 . . . life is so full of hard decisions. :roll eyes: To each their own . . . but it sort of reminds me of a neighbor of mine who insisted she has to have a car with a Mercedes emblem on it . . . . Doesn't get to where she's going any faster than a Ford or a Chevy.

Rangerrich99

The gun looks pretty nice; I really like the case coloring in the pic. And American made . . . might have to find room in next year's budget for one.

Thanks for correcting me about the SAA output at Colt, Denis.

I guess my point is, the fellow making this new copy of the SAA has seen an opportunity and is taking good advantage of it. Between the demise of the USFA line of fine single action revolvers, and Colt not being able to (or not wanting to) produce very many, there is a niche available now for a fine, American made copy of the SAA.

I saw a video taken at the Shot Show of the new gun, but have been unable to find it. I hope his venture turns out well and he is able to produce the new gun.

I still think he should stop using the term SAA on his web page, or Colt's lawyers will come after him.

Last edited:

Deja vu

Looks like a nice gun but a bit out of ny current price range. I think If I get a SA revolver it will be a Uberti.... I can even get it in my trusted (but not historically accurate) 357 magnum!

Jim Watson

I wish them well, but they are not the first automatic making company to try their hand at a revolver. Remember the STI Texican? I googled an ad for one saying it was one of 68 made before they gave up on the project. Might not be as easy to change horses in midstream as you think.