A good utility .22 caliber rifle...?

foxfire

I looking to pick up an economical .22 caliber rifle in the next week or so.
Something maybe along the lines of a Sharp or Marlin. And speaking of the Sharp: are additional 10 round, detachable box magazines readily available? And where?
And did I see right? The Marlin holds 14 rounds? Why isn't it limited to 10, like everything else out there?

In addition to its use as a plinker, I'd like to have it available for any 'newbie' that might express an interest in learning what little I know...
Any help or advice is always appreciated.

------------------
...defend the 2nd., it protects us all.
No fate but what we make...

Schmit

Staff Alumnus
I had a Marlin and will admit it was a good little plinker/utility .22. However, that is all it would be.

I'd get a Ruger 10/22. There are loads and loads of after market parts available. When you grow out of plinking you can transform a Ruger into a real live "Tack Driver" (which BTW makes plinking much more fun) with some after market parts.

Just my opinion. I like to have options.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

DeBee

I recommend splurging a little on your .22 rimfire.

You'll probably shoot this gun more than all your other rifles put together. You shouldn't be left wanting.

To that end, I'd get a plain old Ruger 10/22. In the weeks, months, or years to come, you can rebuild it to any configuration you wish...

What the hell is a Sharp?

bad_dad_brad

Ruger 10/22. Can't be beat. Accurate and reliable, you have a zillion factory choices and a zillion more after market. Love my deluxe sporter with walnut stock, but you can have a plastic stock with stainless barrel too. Basic 10/22 is a .22 bargain and the rotary magazine is very reliable.

This is truely one of the classic American .22 rifles.

Sgt.K

My vote is for the Marlin Model 60.

Mine is just as accurate as my Brother's 10/22, at about half the cost.

Also, you cannot lose a tube mag.

Just my 2cnts.

Sgt.K

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
I'm also a 10/22 fan, but after one has that, a good second 22 for other purposes might just be a decent bolt action with a good scope.Mom's old Marlin, used by her to be runner up in 1943 in the Md state matches, would hold dime sized groups at 50 yards with the cheap little 4x we had on it.

But, it's an infinity of choices, good 22s are everywhere. Enjoy...

foxfire

Thanks for the advice.
Hard to go wrong with any .22 rifle.
Doubt if I'll put a scope on this one.
Will let everyone know how it turns out...

------------------

weegee

Sorry to be obnoxious, but the Marlins are absolute CRAP compared to a Ruger 10/22.

Try disassembling a Marlin 60 sometime, and get a look at how the gun is constructed. (Stamped sheet metal held together with E-clips.) Especially the firing mechanism, I.E. trigger.

Then try doing a trigger job on one; it's IMPOSSIBLE! And I do mean IMPOSSIBLE! If you LIKE creepy 8 pound triggers then this is your gun.

Then try taking apart a 10/22 and examining its design...obvious superiority. NO the trigger is not light enough out of the box, but it is FAR better, and can EASILY be improved with a $28.00 Volquartsen drop-in hammer, that anyone can install.

I own both, have worked on several; my first .22 was a Marlin so I have fond memories, but the Ruger is just far superior.

yorec

I'm not a 10/22 fan, but if that's the style of rifle you want, the 10/22 is one of the better ones. The aftermarket additions can be awfully expensive, but there are definately some neat toys available for it. Personally if I were looking at putting a grand into a .22 just to go plinking, then I would sink it into an ar-15 and add a Ceiner .22lr conversion kit. Talk about fun! :) :)

But I didn't get the impression that was what you were looking for. If you're looking for an iron sighted plinking gun that is utterly reliable and loads of fun, look at some of the pump actions available. Rossi's .22 Gallery gun is a well balanced handy little rifle. It comes in rifle and carbine legths. Taurus now makes it, if a used Rossi hasn't made itself known to you. Another plus for non semi-autos is that they usually feed long rifle, long, and short ammunition. (if you have some or access to some)

If you have to have a semi-auto, its a crap shoot IMHO. Problems with feeding, ammunition likes, pre/post ban BS, and price all make the semi-auto .22lr market a little iffy.

The tube fed rifles commonly hold more than 10 because only dtatchable magazines are limited to 10. Therefore the Rossi, tube fed Marlins, and others commonly hold around 12 to 15 rounds.

What DeeBe said.

Ruger 10/22. Why, they're so simple, you can replace the barrel yourself. There's an entire cottage industry supporting that gun. Most importantly, dependable. Put a plastic stock (for weatherproofing) and you can't ask for much more out of it.

foxfire

dZ and yorec,

Thanks for explaining the difference between the capacity of the box and tube magazines.
Looks like the ANTIs missed one, and still have some work cut out for themselves.

And no, I hadn't planned on spending $1000 on the .22 rifle, either up front or on accessories and 'adjustments' afterward.

Yeah, I know the Ruger's better than anything else that's still available. Just wanted to read if there was something besides the Marlin...
Guess no one is familiar with the POS that Sharp makes?

------------------

johnwill

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by foxfire:
Something maybe along the lines of a Sharp or Marlin. And speaking of the Sharp: are additional 10 round, detachable box magazines readily available? And where?
And did I see right? The Marlin holds 14 rounds? Why isn't it limited to 10, like everything else out there?

In addition to its use as a plinker, I'd like to have it available for any 'newbie' that might express an interest in learning what little I know...
[/quote]

I'd have to do with the crowd and recommend the 10/22. I have a pair of them, and they're great shooters. You can also pick up just about anything you want to customize it, and hi-cap magazines are still available, though they price has been going up rather quickly.

tatters

I have a Remington 597 that is a great shooter and a great value

------------------
Knock twice. Rap with your cane. Feels nice. You're out of the rain. We got your skinny girls. Here at the Western World
from Steely Dan's "Western World"

Element

Ruger 10/22 is the way to go. And if you can find a couple of Buttler Creek 30round mags you'll have a blast.

Mike H

Can you still get those super hi-cap mags for the Ruger. They looked like clear plastic 50 round banana shaped affairs, even more fun than the standard 10's.

Mike H

Halfpint

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by foxfire:

[/quote]

Personally I'd look into either a good pump or lever action with a tube feed. Over the years I've used an old Winchester Model 61 pump and recently went with a Winchester Model 9422 lever action after messing around with one of those danged 10/22s. With both the pump and the lever action one can have the *full* range of .22 ammo at their disposal. With pretty much all of the semi-autos you are stuck with .22lr and even with *specific* brands/loads! Yeah... You can get all sorts of `pretty' aftermarket add ons and `mods' for the 10/22 but it still doesn't really make it all that much better.
With my 9422 all I did to it was install a set of Williams `FireSights' to help make the open sights easier to see and use and then put a Millet Red Dot sight on top to make those `snap shots' even `snappier'. (With the Red Dot sight I don't have to close one eye and can track a jackrabbit almost instantly if need be.)

With the model 61 I am not able to put a red dot on it because it doesn't have the dovetail grooves on the receiver. But the Remington 572 BDL `Fieldmaster' pump does have the dovetail and is just as fast as the old model 61 but would probably benefit from the addition of the Williams `FireSights' and of course the Millet `Red Dot'.

*If* you just *have* to have a semi-auto I'd recommend the Remington 552 BDL `Speedmaster'. From what I've seen they are quite forgiving about what you can put through them even though you are still basically limited to .22lr. With both it and the `Fieldmaster' out of the box accuracy is much better than the 10/22. (With the Winchester 9422 out of the box accuracy is also good with the caveat that the longer barreled version is the best while the little `shorty' is, of course, not quite as good. I've got the longer one after comparing all three lengths and deciding that I could live with the extra couple inches `banging around' in my truck cab. {GRIN!})

Doleo ergo sum,
-HALFPINT-

[This message has been edited by Halfpint (edited April 14, 2000).]

jamescuda74

I agree that the ruger 10/22 is a better rifle than a Marlin 60,but with iron sights a marlin 60 is MUCH more accurrate.I have several of both and everyone probly agrees that 10/22 sights are terrible.If you go with the ruger don't get too frustrated with the sights,you can always scope it! :)