A good but cheap AR

Mikeyboy

Thanks for all the suggestions and the PMs when everything was closed down.

I'm going with a few of the suggestions, probably Stag or DPMS

bigjack59

I have to agree with the Model One Sales.They were fAST and very helpful.They were alsoas cheap or cheaper thanabout everyone, give thema look.

Teppo Sensei

stag upper if you want a lefty
double star is the cheapest
its easy to assemble a lower from parts
i have a dpms lower on a rock river upper
i wouldnt build an upper unless you have tools to headspace the chamber

ChicagoTex

i wouldnt build an upper unless you have tools to headspace the chamber

I'm not an expert, but I have been researching building my own AR extensively and hope to get started next month. It's my understanding the headspacing is pretty much pre-done in the barrel extension of the barrel, so having a new, decent to high quality bolt and a new decent to high quality barrel shouldn't require any headspacing on the part of the builder (except perhaps in use of super duper match barrels).

Someone with a little more experience wanna ring in on this?

GLK

FWIW I think ChiTex is correct, as my white oak armament barrels already had ambi barrel extensions on them.

CanoeCrasher

Inexpensive Lowers

Hey all,

I seem to recall Cavalry Arms lowers are inexpensive, as well as lighter than other lowers. Plus, they are available in a wide array of colors. As an added bonus, you'll be helping out a company which has weathered the unjust tyranny of the ATF.

Then you just pick up an upper with a carbine-length gas system, pop the two together, and you're good to go.

CC