A good but cheap AR

Mikeyboy

I don't have the money to buy a high end AR, and I don't want to go thru the hassle of building my own. What is a good AR for the money, preferably with a 16" barrel.

predator86

get a dpms lower for 200, find an upper in the classifieds for 300......my ar is going to cost me less than 600 not including glass

Forwardassist

How much are you willing to spend? That will dictate what you can buy. Building a rifle is the cheapest option, and its not hard to do. No special tools needed. If you go that route get a Del-ton.
Buy the best you can. I would not choose a Bushmaster, DPMS, OLY, or RRA. All those cut corners in quality, and usually have plenty of QC problems. I am not a fan of cheap ARs, they cut too many corners to make them cheap. If you want to buy then get a Stag. They are the best out of the cheaper rifles. I also heard Anvil arm builds nice ARs.

GLK

If your interested in a flat top model you may want to take a look at Stag Arms, they offer a great gun at a real good price if you shop around. On the other hand a good thing about buying a separate lower and upper and attaching the two yourself is you'll save some money in the form of a federal tax placed on complete rifles. Attaching a complete upper to a complete lower is real simple and should not be compared to "Building an AR" I have built more than a few ARs now and feel free to IM me with any questions, if I can't answer them I will point you in the right direction. Also as Forwardassist stated Anvil Arms does indeed build a good rifle

azredhawk44

You want cheap, get a Saiga.

I like Saigas and would like to get one, but they ain't an AR. A cheap AR will out-shoot a well put together AK. And magazine cost after about 10 mags makes a home-built AR-15 a bargain.

To the OP: I have a self-assembled AR-15 from a Cavalry Arms complete lower for $125 and a Del-Ton complete A2 20" chrome-lined upper for $450. Total package was $575 + shipping + magazines.

Fit is very tight, but I have yet to get out and shoot it. The 110+ degree weather has hit us here, and it just wouldn't be fun until the weather cools. This is a bummer because I also have a new red-dot for a Camp 45 to sight in and also a match-tuned custom M14 coming out of the gunsmith's shop and to me in July.

Lots of toys for this fall though.

Don't discount building it yourself. All the "assembly" I did was snap the lower together to the upper with the two take-down pins. You save the Fed Excise Tax on the entire cost of the upper, which is the lion's share of the firearm. You definitely get a lot more gun for your money. Shipping negates the sales tax, too.

WhyteP38

Umlaut Arms sells Stag upper/lower combos that will save you money. These are complete Stag uppers and complete Stag lowers that are not yet mated together. Simply push in the front pin, push in the back pin, and you have a complete Stag rifle. If I recall correctly, the price is $750 - $800 for a basic rifle for a savings of around $100. Since you should inspect your new rifle before shooting it anyway, and the two separated halves make inspection easier, you might as well buy it in that condition and save some $$$.

Curtis(USAF)

I hear century arms international is importing used/surplus AR-15s, don't know how much they cost, or what condition they are in.

If your just wanting a 5.56 high capacity rifle, I hear the Keltec Su-16 is pretty good. It eats 5.56 from standard M-16 magazines. They were going at the half the cost of most the AR-15s when I got my AR about 6 months ago.

O6nop

I know there's been a lot of bad press on many forums about Blackthorne Products, but I haven't had any trouble with mine.
I bought a M3 carbine complete kit, base model for $389. That was over 6 months ago and prices seem to be the same.

It came with a fully assembled 16" Hbar upper in 5.56, a lower kit, and a collapsible stock, so all I had to do is buy a lower for $125 and put it together myself.

http://www.blackthorneproducts.com/

Te Anau

I wish I knew more about these Blackthorne AR's.Their website leaves a lot to be desired and I'm not crazy about this being on their homepage.Sounds like they have a lot of problems or returns or something.:confused:
Please ensure that you are familiar with our policies and have read the FAQ page before placing an order. When you place an order you are bound to the terms and conditions found therein. Please do not order until you have read and agree to these conditions.

10-96

Nobody mentioned DoubleStar- did they go up, or did everbody fall outta love with 'em? I figgered it would be a good choice for the average to low volume shooter.

firemed

I got a DPMS at around $750 complete. I have close to 3,000 rounds through it, take it yote hunting, been through a 3 day tactical carbine course with it and guess what-----NO PROBLEMS-----WOW OMG somebody bought a rifle less than like a grand and it works great!!! Keep it clean, keep it lubed and its fine and shoots just as good as any Colt, S&W, or RRA my buddies use. :D

Doug S

I picked up a slightly used High Standard from a friend. It seems to be a well made gun. No problems with it.

bigjack59

I have a DPMS and love it. Not a bad price, works great, no problems. I shot a LOT of M16s and love the black rifle. The DPMS made all my black rifles come true.

Creature

I bought a NIB Bushmaster M4A3 three months ago and have put exactly 3,750 trouble free rounds through it so far...

ISC

I paid $579 plus $20 transfer for my CAI AR 15. It shoots perfectly and is a great entry level AR.