A couple of Glock Questions

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Not that I would ever mess with perfection...
but if someone were to put after-market sights on a Glock, a sinner I mean, someone fallen from the faith, what sort of sights should such a fallen scoundrel pick?

Ricklin

Decent all the way round

I'm very pleased with the stock sites, the grips, and well pretty much everything else on my new G19. I've put about 100 rounds downrange and it tears the centers out of a target at 7 yards out of the box. What's not to like:)

AK103K

My Glocks had adjustable "target" sights out of the box. They were not very durable (nor was my 17 for that matter), and the rear sight did not survive a minor collision with a door jamb while in its holster, and sheared right off.

Saab1911

AK103K said:
My Glocks had adjustable "target" sights out of the box. They were not very durable (nor was my 17 for that matter), and the rear sight did not survive a minor collision with a door jamb while in its holster, and sheared right off.

The plastic sights are definitely a weakness of the Glock, but you can get
after-market steel sights.

9x19

but you can get after-market steel sights.

But why should you have to?

Sights are one of the most popular after-market handgun accessories... especially tritium and fiber-optic varieties... unless of course someone buys some obscure brand that doesn't sell enough to justify the sight-makers tooling up for them. :D

AK103K

Superior enough to offer decent sights without having to go look for better elsewhere at extra cost. ;)

Alleykat

Peet: Here's a hint. Ignore the obviously inferior advice of those who are so inexperienced that they don't recognize that steel sights, whether night sights or otherwise, are superior, in many applications, to flimsyass plastic sights. :cool:

Check out Ameriglos. They offer some styles that don't require a sight-pusher for the rear sight. They give you a front sight tool and, if you get their night sights, just be aware that they use the excellent Trijicon tubes.

Ozzieman

I find it amazing (but not surprising) on the attitudes of the finger grooves. I really like them on the 26 I have but the larger guns I don’t see the need and don’t care for them.

As far as the plastic sights I had the same problem as others here. While cleaning my 26 I dropped the slide (oily greasy fingers,,, not my fault) about 12 inches on a hard wooden bench and the sight was no longer straight across the top. The right side was compressed and the plastic had flowed. The gun still shot straight but when looking down the sights you could tell the top of the rear sight was no longer aligned with the top of the frame.
I had a Glock rep gunsmith install a set of Glock metal night sights that he recommended. They are the exact same 3 dot sight pattern as the originals were and they GLOW like nothing I would have believed. With them setting on a desk top with normal room lighting for a minimum of 30 min they are good for several hours in the dark.
For the first 15 minutes they actually put out enough green light that it lights up the rear of the frame and helps to align the frame in the dark.
I don’t know how reliable they will be with use but with so for around 500 rounds they have held up well.
They only thing I don’t like about them is the fact that if you leave the gun in a holster, the front sight is useless in the dark.
Over all the best modification I have made to my Glock is the sights and I would recommend replacing the plastic sights.

HK123

Glock rep gunsmith install a set of Glock metal night sights that he recommended. They are the exact same 3 dot sight pattern as the originals were and they GLOW like nothing I would have believed. With them setting on a desk top with normal room lighting for a minimum of 30 min they are good for several hours in the dark.

What you described is not a true night sight. It uses a material called super luminova. It's the same type of material used on many watches. A True night sight will use tritium vials that give off energy in the form of light. They will never need a charge.

Ozzieman

HK123 what you say is true about them not being tritium but they were night sights.
He did have tritium (Trijicon I think) but I have read else where that the vials are easy to crack and damage and they cost 3 times as much. Also I have a set on my Kimber Royal carry and after several years of hard use the one dot on the rear sights looks like it has a crack and the light it gives off is much different from the other rear dot.

AK103K

They cost more for a reason, but over their life, it works out to something like $6/yr.

How do your "night sights" work at 4AM after being in the dark all night.

The tritium is 24/7 lit, with no assistance needed to light them.

I have tritium sights on rifles, shotguns, and pistols, and most have a pretty rough life getting bounced around and carried day in and day out. I have yet to have a set of sights fail or a vial crack. I have had to replace sets that had gone their useful life, and thats about 12 years.

HK123

He did have tritium (Trijicon I think) but I have read else where that the vials are easy to crack and damage and they cost 3 times as much. Also I have a set on my Kimber Royal carry and after several years of hard use the one dot on the rear sights looks like it has a crack and the light it gives off is much different from the other rear dot.

Trijicon warranties them for 12 years.

JohnKSa

Administrator
they also have a 12 year warranty
Has to do with the half-life of tritium. After 12 years, or so, enough of the tritium has decomposed due to radioactive decay that the sights will not glow nearly as brightly as they did when new.

HK123

Has to do with the half-life of tritium. After 12 years, or so, enough of the tritium has decomposed due to radioactive decay that the sights will not glow nearly as brightly as they did when new.

Yes but the issue was "cracked glass" on the inserts. You can have them replaced.