A Boy's First Rifle -- A Ruger No 1 Comes Home

walks with gun

Paul B, I've heard of that before, there are a lot (MOST) people who can't pull off a well aimed second or third shot with a repeating rifle anyhow, If I new a guy was coming to hunt with a single shot my first instincts would tell me he was a serious hunter, but the landowner must think he has his reasons. I can't walk more than a little ways anymore either, a hit and run by a car years ago, hunting just isn't the same as it was years ago.

Bongo Boy

Unfortunately, 22LR is just too expensive for me to shoot. :) It's the priciest stuff I have on the shelf, except for the 2 boxes of .45-70 I just bought at 2 bucks a round--which will never happen again.

'Boy's first rifle' was a bit of humor...I'll be 61 this year.

I fired one box of Federal factory ammo downrange today to sight in the scope, and that was fun. Lots of new things to learn for me, shooting a rifle--every shot was a bit like starting over, not too much consistency on my part. Not sure I'm ever going to warm up to shooting from a bench unless I can get that gun up higher. Not very comfortable, and not a great way to take the recoil (even the lightweights I was shooting).

Still, better than working.

walks with gun

Be careful not to damage the bluing by drooling on it at night or don't accidently knock it out of bed. It would be a hard rifle to put down. I bet you can envision African game animals walking through the yard, and have been reading books by Rourk and Hemmingway.

stubbicatt

You did a good job Bongo Boy. I think that rifle looks sweet! Very nice.

Your photos inspire me to snap a few of my recently acquired Winchester Single Shot rifle manufactured in 1888 or 9. I have to figure out a suitable backdrop.

Bongo Boy

Be careful not to damage the bluing by drooling on it at night...

Well, I have been rubbing it a lot lately.

But I like to think that's only because I have to buff out that tung oil, and you know, it takes so many, many coats. :rolleyes:

Thanks, stubbicatt, and let's see those Winchesters. I think going single shot was the smart thing to do for me. At one point recently I was going to get a 7.62 auto rifle. But between the initial price for many of them and the rate at which I know I'd end up burning ammo, I'd never make it to retirement. With the No 1, all I have to do now to ensure an affordable rate-of-fire is to continue inching up the loads until I've had enough after one box, or less. Problem solved.

Paul B.

Bongo Boy. Only 61? :eek: You're just a young whippersnapper. ;) I'll be 77in 34 more days. :p Probably treat myself to a nice leisurely reloading session or a trip to the range. Might even hit an LGS and buy myself a present. I'll think of something.
Paul B.

Bongo Boy

I opted for the smaller 6x scope, and using the medium-height rings that came with the rifle, the setup isn't bad at all. I'm going to get the low-height Ruger style rings though, as it's still just a bit tall for me.

If there's any secret to getting that front objective housing off so I can remove the Golden Ring and get it black, let me know. I'm thinking the old 18" stillson wrench isn't the way to go, but it's tempting,

The stock continues to deepen a bit as it gains a lustrous delightfulness after each weekly greasing with oil. If I'm not careful I may end up with a sheen comparable to the urethane it started out with. Thankfully, I've plenty of abrasives around the garage to correct that should it happen.

Trying to find just the right sling--that's been very difficult, at any price. After painful agonizing, I just ordered the Murray A1 sling--not too military, not too goofy:

a1standard.jpg

I think finding a stamped, dyed, graffiti'ed sling with a pouch for your flask might be easier.

Last edited:

flashhole

Nice job. I did something similar with a CZ 550 Full Stock. Made the wood look so much richer. I know what you mean about the high gloss, I never warmed up to it.

Bongo Boy

Okay one last photo then I'll stop. Here she is, all dressed up in a fashionable leather sling, with some sheen from the oil still on the sling when it arrived:

This might be enough to make me want to go hunt something. I don't know. I'd probably have to get a bit more oil off the stock or the rifle just might squirt right out of my hands with these lovely loads I've cooked up.

The 420 gr antelope load (45gr 4198):

...and my 325 gr rabbit load (46gr 4198):

:)

Last edited:

flashhole

Sweet, my 45-70 is the Marlin Guide Gun. Had it to the range today with my handloads. Amazingly accurate for what it is.