A Boy's First Rifle -- A Ruger No 1 Comes Home

Bongo Boy

Not really my first rifle at all, but my first and only in about 25 years. Please allow me to share my excitement. A new No 1 in .45-70 with the 26" barrel.

Now, perhaps most of your life you've wanted to own some particular thing--maybe a '67 Sting Ray, a classic bike or maybe that 35mm Nikon you could never afford--now obsolete and rather pointless. These are some of the items that have come and gone off my list of desires for 40 years or more, and a single shot big bore such as the Ruger No 1 is also among them.

I'm delighted to announce the arrival of what is quite probably the only item from my list of highly desired and utterly unneeded toys that I will actually ever own, and probably the most 'useful' of them.

Now, I've never fired a No 1, ever, and until this week have never held one. In fact, I've actually never even seen one other than in advertisements, and know no one who owns one. One might ask, "So, why did you want one?" to which I can only reply, "Are you serious?" :)

Anyway, as folks familiar with the rifle might expect, I had some big first impressions. The first was that it appeared to have a stock that was actual walnut...like wood that came from a tree. Maybe not the finest, highly-figured stock in the world, by any means, but I was quite surprised it looked as good as it did.

As I pulled it from the box and took the plastic bag off it, my second impression was how light it was. Wow. I was expecting a much heavier rifle, and it just seemed scary light to me. After checking it for safety, I shouldered it, and my 3rd revelation: tiny! My goodness, maybe it's a combination of the trigger reach and the small pistol grip, but this puppy feels almost like it's designed for a 'junior' or 'little miss' shooter. I'm not a big guy--5'8" and 185 lbs--this feels like cuddling up with one of those little AR carbines.

The box says: Catalog No. 1-S-C Model: 11365
Did I get stuck with a Boy's Rifle Edition? :D Just kidding--I don't think so.

The last, and very pleasant and promising, surprise, was the forend. Do the 26" models have longer forends than the 22" ones? I'd just read that the Henry groove actually extends aft behind the forward tip of the checkering, making it impossible to remove the tip of forend with a 90 deg cut. Mine appears to have about 1/2" or so of wiggle room, and if done skillfully I think it could come out quite nice. I'm getting out the chop saw now and checking to see if that blade has hit any nails recently.

Last thing: the box is marked 3/25/14. I wonder, is this a Lipsey's ordered rifle do you suppose? I wondered that when I bought it and sort of assumed it must be since it's a .45-70 in 26", but that date seems too recent. No expert here, and it really makes no difference at all, just a curiosity.

So there it is. Mold is on the way, and other components should be ordered shortly. We'll start out with IMR4198 and a little 325 gr bullet and see what happens.

Last edited:

Paul B.

Yeah, me too. I like the .280. I also like Ruger #1's. :D The 45-70 is a fun cartridge for me in my #1.
Paul B.

Bongo Boy

The 45-70 is a fun cartridge for me in my #1.

Do you shoot the .45-70 mostly for target, and if so, what ranges do you find most enjoyable, and do you shoot mainly cast or jacketed? I expect to seldom if ever shoot jacketed due to cost, and I'd prefer not to throw any more lead downrange than is needed to have a reasonably accurate load. I hope to do that with a 325 gr bullet, but I'm getting the feeling folks find the bigger slugs to do a better job. It's sometimes hard to tell if that's an accuracy issue or a penetration issue for hunting. I won't be doing any hunting.

It's been decades since I shot rifle regularly, and even when I did, I was a kid and we seldom shot beyond backyard 25 yds. For me at the moment, shooting 100 or even 75 yds with these open sights seems like an exercise in pointlessness--I question whether I'll be able to print a group at all even at 50 yds. We'll soon see. With my glasses, that front sight is sharp--so that's a start.

bbqncigars

A nice accurate mild 100yd load is 10.5gr Unique behind a 405gr cast boolit. My Sharps likes a 535gr Postell over 37.0gr of Varget. That load is good out to 200yds (longest my local range has).

VTRich

Very nice rifle. I had one of the original Lipsey's runs, which also had the 26" barrel, but came with Circassian walnut, and the checkering was a bit different, especially in the fore-end. Recently, some more of these started showing up with the regular walnut. Could be a clean up run if they had extra barrels. You will find this rifle much nicer to shoot that the regular 1-S in 45-70 (with the 22" barrel). The throat in mine was short, and I heard many others state the same. If you load the 400+ grain, wide metplate bullets, you will probably need to trim your cases a bit extra, or the bullets will press into the rifling when you chamber them.

Here's a link to the original Lipsey's Run. Lipseys are the only distributor for all Ruger Number 1's now.

http://lipseysguns.com/post/Ruger-Number-1S-45-70-26-Barrel-Circassian-Walnut-Stock.aspx

Bongo Boy

I'm extremely pleased with having been able to remove all the finish down to the bare wood with pretty much no effort using CitriStrip. I'm really excited now--that portion of the transformation went far easier than I could have imagined. Whacking that forend tip will come next. Not sure I have the courage for that just yet.

Bongo Boy

why are you stripping the finish from your rifle

It's just a personal preference, that's all. I'm going for something much closer to 'working rifle' with a dull oil finish, and may even try to darken it a bit first. While the synthetic finish was done quite nicely I think, it was just way to glossy for my taste. I'd have the gun parkerized if I could afford it. :)

and why remove that (sort of odd) notched fore end tip?

'Sort of odd' I think is the key. I'd call it bizzarre. Again, it's just a personal preference and nothing more, but I'm okay taking a little risk and doing a good bit of work to install an ebony tip, and then not hear myself complain each time I pick up the gun. I know...I'm weird.

Looks like this now. I reassembled so I don't have parts laying around and it'll be a while before I get to the rest of the work.

Also, the stock was left a bit 'thick' in places--maybe only 0.015" high in some spots, but as much as 0.025" high such as around the rear trigger guard. This will be a great opportunity to at least make it more uniform, even if I don't take it down flush with the receiver. This isn't real important to me--more of an entertainment/therapy project.

Last edited:

Paul B.

I shoot the Lyman #458122 hollow point bullet in my #1. I cast them myself and I have to say it's a bear to get good bullets and the pin that makes the HP cools off quite fast and there are hard to see bubbles inside the walls of the HP. I have to have the metal just as hot as the pot will go and cast fast enough to try and get a decent production rate. I've just shot paper with mine so far with that bullet doing maybe 1700 FPS estimated. Groups run right around 1.25" on average.
I'm sorry you don't like the Alex Henry forearm. The Ruger #1 is supposed to be a modern version of the old Farquharsen rifles, one maker being Alex Henry. It always made me extremely angry that I could never find any of the "S" models of the #1 in just about any cartridge. I finally after many years did find two, both in .300 Win. Mag., one just a standard model and the other a Bicentennial model marked "Made in the 200th year of American Liberty". I also have a #1B in 7MM Rem. mag. Bicentennial rifle. I collect #1s and have then ranging from .22 Hornet to .416 Rigby. Probably my favorite is a little #1A in 7x57. A true fun gun. :D And yes, I do hunt with them.
Paul B.

Axelwik

That fore end is part of the character of the rifle. Are you chopping it to save weight? Chopping it will also affect resale value.

Avoiding dessert a few times would save more.

Bongo Boy

Well, of course aesthetics is a very personal thing. I think there are plenty falling block single-shot rifles out there that typify the genre, yet have what I'd consider rather plain, rounded forends with little or no adornment. As for the No 1 in particular, it seems style and character reach across a very, very broad spectrum. The A Henry style forearm just doesn't convey the character I want this rifle to have--and it's possible I won't be able to achieve the desired effect with this forearm at all. But, I think I can photoshop/mock it up and get a good idea of what it will look like with a moderately-contrasting tip--maybe ebony isn't quite right, but I think it will be once I darken the walnut a good bit.

Obviously weight-saving isn't a motivation--I assume that was a bit of humor going on there. Shaving 1/10 of an ounce off a rifle that already feels about 2 lbs lighter than I was expecting wouldn't make much sense--and I just had a rather good-sized serving of Cookies-and-Cream ice cream, so I'm not making any headway in that department, either. :)

I don't 'collect' things, least of all firearms, and resale value isn't of any interest or concern. Just having a single shot rifle that looks and feels like it could be gently tossed into the back of a Land Rover without much concern, or could take a minor dent or scratch without causing a panic attack--that's where we're going with this one, hopefully.

Last edited:

dyl

Well, I'm not a Ruger #1 expert, but I will say you may be in the minority to have the courage to heavily modify a Ruger #1 to make a truck gun. Because they don't exactly come with truck gun prices. Usually people who want a firearm to look like a truck gun.... will either pick one up that already looks like one or has the price tag of one. It's like stone washed or pre-torn jeans.

BUT having said that, you will have the classiest truck gun around. Perhaps you could stow a cigar in a butt-stock pouch.

Bongo Boy

Perhaps you could stow a cigar in a butt-stock pouch.

My laugh for the day..thanks!!

Maybe I git me one of them there canvas camo cheek rests that 'cha put on with the big o' elastic band, or maybe one a' them slip-on recoil boots. :D

I did describe a truck gun, didn't I? Well, it won't be that bad--maybe I exaggerated a bit, as I sometimes do.

Got the wood dye put on this morning (about 20 drops of dye in a 1/4 cup of alcohol), and later slapped on a coat of tung oil watered-down with mineral spirits. It was touch-and-go there for a while, as I found several small spots where the poly hadn't been completely stripped off. But I got that all sorted. It also looked like I was going to end up with a slight red hue, which would have been a real disaster, but fortunately it came out very close to the way I wanted it to. This shot was taken shortly after slathering in the oil-spirits mix then wiping down once or twice. After rubbing it down with a cotton cloth for about an hour and touching up some over-dyed spots, it's smoothing right out quite nicely, both in evenness of color and touch. Just one thin coat of tung oil and it's already got a bit of a glow to it--amazing product. We'll get it there.

A couple of updates showing the new color--I tweaked the red down a bit in these images to more closely match what my eye sees in daylight. I can live with this level of red, and I think I can live for quite some time with the A Henry bottle opener on the forearm. Too many other things to worry about. The little red spot in each photo is an artifact of the iPhone camera.

you may be in the minority to have the courage to heavily modify a Ruger #1 to make a truck gun.

Well, you know what they say. There's a very fine line between courage and...well, somethin'. I can't remember now.

Last edited:

dyl

Alright, that's *not* a truck gun. I like that little touch of red, it makes the factory finish look cheap in comparison.

Shoot, at this rate you're going to have to get your "truck gun" something in leather. Too classy.

The first gun show I ever went to, I actually handled a Ruger #1. Way out of my price range but it was great. Opening and closing the action just a couple times and making that solid clacking sound, I didn't know much about guns yet but I knew I was holding something nice.

walks with gun

To me, I think the No 1 is one of the finest hunting rifles ever produced. If you know you have one shot, you make it count, I've been using my No 1 AB in 30-06 for a good 27 years or so. That's a beauty you have there, Congrats.

Paul B.

Walks With Gun. You won't get an argument from me. Until I wrecked my right knee about 12-13 years ago, most of my hunts were done with one or another Ruger #1. These days, thanks to the knee I have to do a hunt from a truck or not at all. Not my favorite way to do things but stuff happens. The sad part of it is the racnh I hunt on (guided landowner tag) does not allow the use of single shot rifles. I've done 5 cow elk hunts on the place in the last six years, all one shot kills and they still won't let me use my Ruger #1. :confused::( I use the same guide each year so he knows my capability. My next hunt will most likely be my last as age and more health problems may make even a truck hunt out of the question.
Paul B.

Boncrayon

I would think a "boy's first rifle" should be about accuracy and not power driven. A .22LR is the ultimate without the excitement of the "BOOM!"