A better .40 pistol

TruthTellers

Having gotten into shooting and loading 10mm if I wanted a heavier steel frame pistol, I'd just as soon go 10 instead of 40. The one steel frame I have thought about getting in .40 is the Kahr K40 or MK40, but that's because it's small.

Really, the best .40 pistol is your standard full size pistol, whether it's polymer or metal frame. The smaller size and lighter weight can make them better choices than 10mm for conceal carrying and even open carry, but if I were open carrying I'd just go 10mm.

Moonglum

I have owned many .40's in my life. I used to use them to make Major in USPSA. Most of my .40s were polymer striker fired wonderguns.

Some ammo makers produce .40 ammo in 135 grain or 155 grain loadings that rival .357 magnum for muzzle energy. And we all know if there is that much energy going down range then there will be stout recoil on the shooter's end. "Snappy recoil" the .40 haters like to complain about. But the lion's share of .40 pistols are polymer framed. Most of your .357 revolvers are steel framed. That puts the .40 at about 2/3 the weight of the .357. Of course you are going to experience greater recoil.

So I wonder how many people have tried .40 in a full size duty pistol with a steel frame? Something like the CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical. I would wager it to be a pleasant pistol to shoot and offer up to 526 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. That's nothing to sneeze at. Better barrier penetration. Better expansion and penetration in gel and the occasional bad guy.

So my real question is, why are so many .40's being produced in ultra light polymer frames when the caliber would really shine in a steel frame duty pistol?
My first carry gun was an all steel CZ75B. It was a joy to shoot. If you can find one I highly recommend it

Doc Intrepid

I'm another fan of the Sig P229 in .40. It shoots really well for me, fits my hand, and isn't as large as the Sig P220 or similar sized service pistols while offering 13 rounds.

It's all metal as opposed to polymer-framed, and yes - it is heavier. But the weight makes it shoot better - at least in my opinion. I generally carry it in a Galco shoulder rig, which tends to reduce some of the complaints about heavy pistols on anyone's waistline.

JDBerg

Willie Lowman said:
So my real question is, why are so many .40's being produced in ultra light polymer frames when the caliber would really shine in a steel frame duty pistol?

A lot of the polymer framed forties currently produced are possibly Glocks and HK’s. I don’t miss the early Gen4 Glock 22 that I used to own, but I definitely miss the HK USP 40 that I used to own.

The new Gen5 Glock forties with the heavier slides might argue that the additional weight of a forty compared to a 9mm should be in the slide and not in the frame.