9mm with less than average recoil?

Walt Sherrill

I'm a BIG CZ enthusiast (have several, and have had many more...) but a CZ may not be a good choice for a younger person, if that person has a smaller hand, or shorter fingers.

The CZ-75 has a LONG first trigger pull. This can be overcome by starting from half-cock (where the decocker models start), or by manually cocking the hammer. (The DA/SA models can start from cocked and locked.)

Several of my adult friends want CZs, but simply can't work around (it's more mental than physical) that long first trigger pull.

(It's been so long since I've owned or shot a Beretta that I can't speak to the trigger pull length of that gun. Had several 92s and a 96...)

A Glock 17 (or 19) may be the best all-round choice. Short, consistent trigger pull, and modest recoil despite its very light weight.

MLeake

The other problem I've seen with CZ75's has to do with poor hand strength. The slide-inside-frame design of the CZ has some theoretical advantages, but one major disadvantage is that it provides significantly less surface area to grasp when racking the slide. People with weak fingers seem to have problems. My mother, for example, could not reliably work the CZ despite using good technique. She can work SIGs just fine.

Walt Sherrill

The solution to the "racking the slide" problem with a CZ, or any other gun, is

1) cock the hammer first,

2) hold the slide (pointed down) and push the frame.

Cocking the hammer lightens the springs working against the slide, and pushing the frame puts most of the work on the hand with a better grip.

Note: even if you don't do 1, step 2 makes it easier.

Surprising that more folks don't go this route.

MLeake

Walt, did you not notice the part about "despite using good technique"?

We tried all that. Cocked the hammer to take the mainspring pressure out of it. Taught her both the slingshot and overhand grasps. Taught her to punch the gun forward with her shooting hand. The whole works. I'm not exactly new at this... Also, in addition to teaching her myself, I've bought her a lesson with professionals in her area. Technique isn't the problem. Incipient arthritis in her fingers is the problem.

Weak hand strength can be overcome by good technique, to an extent.

Past that point, mechanical aspects become a factor. More surface area, more aggressive serrations... these things begin to actually matter.

For me... I work out at the gym and the dojo. I can close the Captains of Crush 167.5lb gripper with either hand. Slingshot, overhand, push or punch, I don't really care. But for some people, the small surface area of the CZ slide may be a problem.

graysmoke

My Opinion....The S&W 5906....The Best.

The 5906 is not a large size 9mm handgun, just rite.
Very easy to handle, reliable, and durable.
Recoil is minimal w/a stainless steel slide, alloy or stainless steel frame (pending year model).
15 shot capability....Shoots any type of 9mm load.
Double Action Only. No safety levers to be concerned with.
Most popular, once most carried and used handgun in most all Law Enforcement Agencies.

You can purchase one today (pre-owned) for approx. $300 - $350 on gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com

MLeake

Um... the 5906 not that large? One of the primary complaints with that gun was the size of its double-column grip. The gun isn't huge, but it's not ideal for small hands.

That was one reason some departments opted for 39 variants, vs 59.

ShipWreck

I would say a Beretta 92. I have a 9mm PX4, and it is a great gun. But, the 92 still has less felt recoil than the PX4 does. I shot them back to back on my last range trip.

NJgunowner

Nice shooting 9mm

P226
Springfield 1911 9mm
Beretta 92fs
CZ75

And I'm going to throw this one in, the Jericho 941 steel (aka baby eagle). The polymer doesn't do anything for me, but the all steel ones are nice and because they're a bit heavy they feel like a hot .22lr .

Onward Allusion

Beretta 92 and its variants has light recoil but the S&W 5906 has practically zero recoil. The grip is NOT large if you swap it with the straight style grips ($19 @ MidwayUSA).

pgdion

I fit fits your hand, the 92FS is easily the softest/nicest shooting 9mm. I swear it shoots as nice as my 22's. The smith 5906 is also a great suggestion. Basically heavy means less recoil and those SS Smith's are really heavy. This gun has been a real pleasant surprise for me (and to think i almost didn't buy it :eek:). The Stoeger Cougar is decent in my opinion and the PX4 would round out my list of suggestions as probably the lighter gun with still decent recoil.

Pond James Pond

What about a Sig P232?

I know it is not 9mm in the strictest sense, but is 9x17, IINM. I understand that it is a blowback design, and therefore has a very low bore axis and so has a low recoil, no? It is also light and slim. It only has 8 rounds, but I understand the OP suggested a revolver, hence only 6. 2 more than that is no bad thing!!

Personally I find them very pleasant to look at too! Unless I'm looking down the hollow end...

Last edited:

MLeake

Pond, 9mm is more popular than .380 over here for a few reasons.

1) Many self-defense instructors preach that it is the minimum caliber suitable for a service type pistol.

2) It's very common, and available all over the place in factory or milsurp form. (Milsurp isn't as common as it used to be, though.)

3) Due to it being readily available, it costs less than .380. A lot less, in some places.

Roland Thunder

RobertSig said:
but she didn't seem to mind my SIG P229's grip width too much - only the recoil

Since she likes the ergonomics of your Sig 229 but not the recoil, then I would suggest, the Sig 226, a larger, heavier version of the 229, more weight, less recoil. That's assuming you don't mind shelling out $800-$900

MLeake

I'm not sure "she didn't seem to mind... too much" is the same as saying she liked the ergos of the P229.

Gerry

My wife (age in her 40's) is very petite with small hands and @ 4'10" and 92#, it's an Asian trait she has to live with. But she loves her CZ SP-01 Shadow so much she even wears the t-shirt. And she often beats the majority of the guys on the squad she shoots with that are also shooting Production division. And half of them shoot Glocks :p

priler

least expensive solution and with a pistol that you say seems to work for her except a bit too much recoil.

#1- you already have a sig p229 so no money spent there.

#2- sig sells different grips and a shorter reach trigger iirc,so you can get a grip that works better for her and makes the grip feel smaller.

#3-EFK threaded barrel for p229(1/2-28 RH)-$221

#4-lone wolf(LWD) 9mm compensator(don't get the major)-$60 you can grind a little spot on the bottom of the threads where the little screw goes and then clean threads.

there was also,iirc,a p229 sport that came with a compensator but i think that has been gone for a long time now,i not sure if you can even find that any more. of course,once your thinking about compensators,other pistols can come into play.

now,here's the "thing" about compensators. many people will tell you they are a waste of money and simply don't work but here's the truth. it is both true and false at the same time. it literally depends on which pistol/compensator combo your talking about. a compensator that is properly made and goes on a threaded barrel can be effective. the more gases a particular cartridge/ammo/caliber/powder makes,the more effective it can be comparatively. even in 9mm,if the compensator is well made(i'm not talking about materials but design) and threaded,it can be very effective.

some designs are totally worthless though and some compensate for muzzle flip,some for recoil and some can do both.

i have a walther factory compensator on a second p99 AS(not my carry one) and i can tell you that this one actually works. i did not buy it because the p99 has too much recoil(normal recoil and very managable imo) though,it was just a fun project for me and to play games and i just love the p99 and want all things related to p99,...but the compensator works and the pistol is totally reliable with it.

with the LWD compensator,your p229 should stay very reliable,however,IF you have a problem,putting in a slightly lighter recoil spring should solve the problem IF the problem was the compensator compensating too much. also,EFK barrels should drop right in but sometimes a little fitting may be required.of course,there are other threaded barrels too.

here's a video i quickly found some time ago. it is good because it's the same person using same grip with same pistol only with and without LWD comp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIm6qZc1kc

it's 10mm but still....

i wish there was a compensator that matched perfectly the slide profile of your sig but alas,i don't know of any of hand.

banditgriot

I agree with most who have listed the Beretta 92 as a soft shooter, but the grip is rather large. However, it would be on my short list of low recoiling 9mm handguns. Also already mentioned here so far is the HK P7. The P7's low bore axis, gas retarded-blow back system make it a soft shooter considering the size of the gun. What I haven't seen mentioned yet is the Steyr M9, which is a very soft recoiling polymer framed pistol. They can be a little hard to find, I think Bud's has one at the moment.

Auto426

If you are willing to pay the price for one, a Hi-Power would be a good choice. All steel construction, small grip (for a double stack magazine), and a single action trigger that doesn't have the long reach like a DA/SA would have. The biggest downside is the price, they aren't cheap but they are worth it IMO.