9mm with less than average recoil?

robertsig

I'm looking to get my daughter a 9mm handgun because I feel that is a good minimum for HD. I don't think she can handle anything harder. She would prefer a semi-auto as the hard DA trigger of a revolver is not ideal for her and she likes semis better. Personally I think a Smith 64 with a 3" barrel would be perfect, but I'll keep working on that later.

She has shot my SIG P229 in 9mm but that has a bit too much kick & muzzle flip for her. She will not be carrying the gun we buy. It will be for range practice and HD. Long DA pull is fine (Glock/Kahr) as long as it is not higher than 8.5 pounds. She didn't have a problem with my SIG's SA/DA either, but I had a trigger job on it so it was lighter than factory.

She is 5' 2" and weighs 100#. While we have not tried any of these choices below, I'd love some input. My ideal 9mm is one that soaks up the recoil, isn't too small, isn't too light (or heavy), and maybe a lower bore axis to help with the flip. Glocks are not a choice - too many reasons to list here. Due to her petite size, I imagine she would prefer a single stack, but she didn't seem to mind my SIG P229's grip width too much - only the recoil. I'm sure the perfect double stack would be fine too. Price is not an issue.

Here is what I came up with, in the order *I* think they would be ideal. We'll of course try them out first, assuming I can find them for rent.

Kahr K9
Smith M&P 9mm
Beretta Px4
Beretta 92FS

Any others I should consider?

David the Gnome

The Beretta 92 is one of the softest recoiling 9mm's I've ever shot. That would make an excellent choice so long as it fits her hands. Some have trouble with the width of the gun so make sure she holds one before you buy.

You may also look into a S&W 5906. It's all stainless and it's the only 9mm I know of that shoots softer than the Beretta. I think they are the best looking of the 3rd Gen S&W semi-autos. I sold mine to a member here on the boards who was also buying it for his Daughter to use as a self-defense gun. The best part is you can get a Police trade-in for only $359 right now from Bud's. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/654_910/products_id/411544529

Both are rock solid guns and you could count on either to save your life. The 5906 has a slightly smaller feeling grip than the Beretta so I'd try the Beretta first, and if she thinks it's too big check out the 5906. I would stay away from most of the polymer guns if she didn't like the recoil on your SIG.

Also, I owned and sold a PX4. I don't know if it's just the really high bore axis on that gun or what but the perceived recoil on that was way worse than any other full-size 9mm's I've owned or shot (and I've owned a lot of them :p).

TailGator

I haven't personally shot one, but those who have say that the rotating barrel of the PX4 makes it significantly lighter in recoil, so I might move it up the list. I am looking for an opportunity to rent one because I am considering one for my daughter, as well.

BarryLee

Seems like a full size all metal gun would be your best choice, but make sure it fits her hand. I guess I would just start visiting gun shops and handling a few guns and see what she likes. If you can let her shoot some of the various guns before you buy that would be all the better. I personally feel the 92FS would meet your needs, but only if she likes it.

dunerjeff

If you reload there is also certain powders that are softer recoiling too so that is another way to lessen felt recoil.I have a 92FS and is pretty mild shooting so if the pX4 is softer that would be my choice.

Mrgunsngear

My M&P 9 Pro is the softest recoiling polymer 9mm I have but it doesn't compare to my steel 9s. I have a steel EAA 9mm Witness and it has a very low recoil. I also have a steel frame RIA 1911 9mm that is extremely soft recoiling. It's so soft that the first time I shot it I wasn't sure the bullet actually came out of the barrel so I had to look to make sure. I just couldn't believe how low the recoil was. My friend has a steel framed 1911 S&W in 9mm that is very similar. If she doesn't mind the 1911 platform, that's probably the way to go IMO. If price isn't an option, I'd look at the one I shot and put some night sights on it for HD. Here's a link to the model I shot:

http://www.budspolicesupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/4_8/products_id/2309

And this is my RIA:

mail-1-2.jpg

David the Gnome

A 9mm 1911 like the RIA would be a good choice if she is comfortable with the 1911 platform. You need to make sure she will put in the time and effort to learn the system before you can trust she'll be okay with it.

triplebike

Stoeger Cougar 8000! ($369 NIB) Softer recoil than the PX4. (Basically a metal version) Beretta quality & reliability at a steal of a price.

Mrgunsngear

I agree with David. That's why I said as long as she's comfortable with the 1911 platform. Some beginners have difficulty with the maintenance. That said, Mr. Browning designed it to be operated/maintained by the 'lowest private' so I'm sure she can do it; just whether or not she'll want to...

Mercenary

Look at any of the CZ models:

CZ 75
CZ P-01
CZ P-07

Also you may want to take a look at a Browning Hi Power or a 1911 in 9mm.

The softest polymer frame I have shot is the XD/XDM models.

Last edited:

robertsig

I forgot about the Cougar 9mm. I'll look into that.

I didn't include the 1911 because of the weight and maintenance. I believe the CZ's are all steel too, right?

I had not thought of Springfield. 28oz on the XD isn't too light or heavy. 'tis slightly less weight than the 92FS. Might be a contender.

10mm4ever

For someone not "into" guns and being so petite, a quality 38 special revolver is the most sensible, IMO. Of Paramount importance should be, reliability, simplicity and controllability. Do you want to add malfunction clearance drills to your lessons as well?

C0untZer0

People have already mentioned the CZ. I like the CZ 75.

Since this is not going to be a carry gun, I wanted to throw another model into the ring and that's the Glock 17L. I know you said no Glocks. If it's the "Safe Action" setup or the grips then you can disregard. But the 17L is most often looked at as a "range only" gun. It is different from the other models.

It has almost no recoil. It looks like a big pistol from the pictures but it's not unweildy. The Beretta 92 is 8.5" OAL, the Glock 17L is 8.85" OAL - that's just a little over a ¼" difference.

I think an added expense to te Glock though is you have to replace the stock trigger, but with a better trigger, the 17L is a pretty accurate pistol.

The other thing about Glocks though is that big grip that doesn't work so well with smaller hands.. but anyway, it's something to think about as far as a really soft recoiling pistol.

Another pistol that is much smaller but very manageable with recoil is the HK P7 or PSP.

Last edited:

Fargazer

I would put another recommendation into the pile for the PX4 - just make sure it's full sized or compact. The soft shooting comes in part from the rotating barrel lock, and the sub-compact does NOT have that feature.

Walt Sherrill

Just find the HEAVIEST 9mm you can... That's why a Beretta seems to have milder recoil: more mass to move.

I had a fine (believe it or not), Stoeger-imported Llama 9mm (1911) that was the softest shooting 9mm I've ever shot. It was HEAVY.

About the only other thing that will make a difference is a polymer frame. Some Polymer guns, like the Glock, have enough flex in the frame to make the recoil less noticeable, despite their lighter weight.

drcook

sometimes CZ's are hard for a woman to rack the slide because of the slide being inside the rails

BUT

I too would say consider the CZ platform, especially the PCR or the Compact. The PCR is an alloy frame, with a decocker, the Compact, a steel frame no decocker.

My wife is a petite 5'3" with hand size to match and she is able to shoot the PCR I gave her very comfortably.

we own 1 of each (of the compacts and some full sized ones as well) and she finds the PCR the easiest to shoot. the full size 75's are a bit on the big size for her

Marquezj16

XDm 9mm 3.8 Compact or 92 FS Compact

I own the 92FS Compact - 13 rds slightly smaller than the full size 92FS. It does have a wide grip.

XDm 9mm 3.8 Compact - 13 rounds plus 19 round mag with/extension. Comes with three backstraps (I,II,III) to customize for small to large hands.
My wife owns one and absolutely loves it. She's also 5'2" and use the med backstrap.