9mm "plinking" load

SARuger

Functional Tim. At SD ranges of 7 or so yards, accuracy shouldn't come into play. Not entering any matches with it, just practicing.

TimSr

The list of powers that will reliably function is a very long one. Do you have any powders that you'd like to "use up"?

I've used Unique, Bullseye, Red Dot, Blue Dot, and WSF.

rodfac

Looking for recommendations for a good 9mm plinking round, 115g FMJ bullet, that will work well/cycle well, in all of my 9mm handguns.
For my P226 Sig, a 1911 Series 70 Gov't model, and my son's Beretta 92, we like most any 115 FMJ and Win 231. Our best load and one that we load literally by the thousands is: Winchester 115 FMJ seated 1.115", Win Sm Pistol caps, and 4.9 gr of Win 231 [a max load in some manuals]. In the P226 that load clocks 1154 fps over my PACT chrono and will give me 1-1/4" gps at 25 yds from a seated position. It's truly the best 9mm load I've ever found.

Another great powder in the 9mm is WST if you can find data for it, as good as Winchester 231 and sometimes easier to find on the LGS's shelves.

As always, this is my load, judged safe in my guns. Your guns, loading techniques, and skill in assembling the components may and probably does differ from mine. You should work up to it, after consulting a GOOD manual and considering all the pressure implications.[/I]

Last edited: