9mm Handloads with Berrys 115 rn

TXJohn

SWTHOMAS I have been reloading for years but have a read a lot about Blue Dot not being the best for 9mm just asking for advice for some that have loaded with BD. I have just started reloading for the 9mm and was wondering what some people have been loading.

I thought this was a place where I could ask some questions with out your smart a$$ answer!! If you have nothing good to say keep your mouth shut. I have loaded more ammo than you have ever shot. So in closing I don't need you smart a$$ comments. If you read my first post my manuals are all over the place with loads with BD. that is if you can read?

Thanks to those who have giving me good advice.

larryh1108

I thought this was a place where I could ask some questions with out your smart a$$ answer!! If you have nothing good to say keep your mouth shut. I have loaded more ammo than you have ever shot. So in closing I don't need you smart a$$ comments. If you read my first post my manuals are all over the place with loads with BD. that is if you can read?

Well said!

I never could get why some people open their mouths without offering a bit of good advice. If you have nothing to add to the conversation then just move on. Some guys just need to add their two cents I guess. However, if you add up all their posts I'd bet you don't get a pennys worth of good advice.

TXJohn, Blue Dot was once a great choice for 9 x19mm and I loaded thousands of rounds using it. The thing is, that was when the 9mm's pressure rating was 35,700 CUP which is very close to today's +P at 38,500 PSI. At 35,000 PSI/33,000 CUP, today's SAAMI standard pressure, Blue Dot is just beginning to get warmed up. It performs best with compressed charges, some of them fairly heavily compressed and there just isn't any data around for that today with the exception of getting an older manual like the SPEER #11 which was their last before SAAMI reduced the 9mm's pressure rating. Be advised though, if you find such a manual and use the data, You will be shooting today's equivelant of +P. When loaded warm, Blue Dot can be extremely accurate but velocities are likely to be as high as anything you're gonna find labeled +P. ;)

TXJohn

Thanks 57K, I think I will hold out on the Blue Dot for now I have plenty of Unique, HP-38 AND 700X. I have been looking for some Power Pistol and maybe some Titegroup but haven't had much luck finding them local. Thanks again for all the great info provided in this thread. If I can ever find some
147s I may give the BD a try.

John

Last edited:

You're welcome. Ramshot True Blue and Silhouette are a couple of others you might want to keep in mind. Both are very well suited to the 9 x 19mm and Silhouette is what I use in my defense handloads up to +P. It has a flash inhibitor and both powders are very pressure stable. My warmest Silhouette +P loads are very uniform ballistically and statistically when fired over my chronograph and accuracy is on par with the excellent stats, typically standard deviations around 6 for 10 shot strings. ;)

boostedtt91

I have been using between 5.0-5.5 grains of unique for the berry 115G bullets. I haven't been able to actually find any load data for 115G with unique powder so im not sure what the max load would be for it. Anyone have any info on that?

Reloader2

I'm using Titegroup because that was what was available when I went looking. From what I've read and observed is 4-5 grains isn't a lot of power and you must be alert to the possibility of double charging the case. Just mentioned this in case you didn't know. Good luck.

WESHOOT2

never trust a book

The actual "MAX" load of Unique will only be determined by you, your loading process, your loading equipment and tooling, your specific component lots, and your gun.

Oh, and you; YOU get to (help) decide what "MAX" is.

For actual maximum velocity don't use a plated Berrys bullet. Use a Hornady, Nosler, or Sierra jacketed bullet.
Use 3N37 or HS6 or Power Pistol or WAP/Silhouette.
Use a CCI500.
Use new sized cases ONLY.

TimSr

TXJohn, Blue Dot was once a great choice for 9 x19mm and I loaded thousands of rounds using it. The thing is, that was when the 9mm's pressure rating was 35,700 CUP which is very close to today's +P at 38,500 PSI. At 35,000 PSI/33,000 CUP, today's SAAMI standard pressure, Blue Dot is just beginning to get warmed up. It performs best with compressed charges, some of them fairly heavily compressed and there just isn't any data around for that today with the exception of getting an older manual like the SPEER #11 which was their last before SAAMI reduced the 9mm's pressure rating.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=115&shellid=23&bulletid=25

boostedtt91

yes the user will determine what the max load they want to use for their application, but since i don't have the equipement to test my loads, i need some kinda of tested data to indicate what the recommended max load is. Im trying to determine what a safe max load range would be

boostedtt91, click on the link that TimSR provided. Alliants Max. loads are safe and they're pressure tested. With start charges at 90% of Max. you may get some unburned powder so I'd only do 10 rounds at .2 gr. charge increases until you get to the mid charge level say 95% of Max. and see if all of the powder burns. Then you can work up from there in .1 gr. increments and stop where you like accuracy or proceed on to the Max. Charge which is what Alliant lists. ;)