9mm 1911's?

bluetopper

A Dan Wesson 9mm 1911 is the way to go here. All Ed Brown hand fitted parts and no mim and locks up bank vault tight. Fit and finish is extraordinary.
Mine was under a grand even with shipping and FFL fee on my end.
They are going to step up production of them quite a bit for 2009.

All of the 2008 production of them may be spoken for????

cchardwick

Thanks for the info on the Covert Black finish. I've been carrying my new Para 14.45 for about three weeks and already I can see some noticable wear down to the bare metal on several parts. The gun still looks great but it looks like you are right, the Para finish is not very robust. However, I've heard that even stainless steel can rust, and in fact I've heard of several stainless finishes that are difficult to keep from rusting, even worse than the worst blue finish. I simply love the Para 14.45 and now that I have three of them I'm looking around for a place to put a bullet proof finish on them. I've considered the NP3 finish but it's really not dark enough for me, I'd rather have a black finish. Gander Mountain does a black Cerakote finish inside and out for $175 but I haven't heard much about how tough these are either. I'd like to go with a Nitride with the hardness of diamonds but don't want a gold color. Still looking around for the perfect aftermarket finish....

David the Gnome

Let me know when you decide on one. I have a Sig P6 done in cerahide stainless by CCR Refinishing and it seems like a really tough finish, I haven't noticed any wear on it so far. I've got a RIA compact I want to get refinished. It's got a parkarized finish on it right now and it's already worn off in many of the high-contact parts like the frame rails and underneath the slide release.

Here's my P6 with the stainless cerahide:

David the Gnome

Thanks wnycollector, I've had a few problems with that gun which have kept me from shooting it much. I had a lower weight hammer spring put in it to help tame the rough double-action pull that the P6 is notorious for, but the spring has proven to be too light. I've been plagued with light-strikes and a poor trigger reset ever since. I'm currently waiting on my Sig multi-tool to get here so I can remove the hammer spring and install a new factory spring. I'm hoping this will resolve the issue since the gun worked flawlessly before when it had the factory spring. The gun looks so good, I want it to work as good as it looks. :eek:

M3 Pilot

The 1st handgun I bought was a Colt Lightweight Commander in 9 mm back in 1973 or thereaouts. I still have it,like it a lot. I don't know how much a good used one would cost but you can consider this a recommendation.

Sam06

David, That is a nice looking P6! I have one I got and replaced the recoil spring and the Mainspring. I do that with most Used Autoloaders I get. I replaced the Mainspring with the wolff standard power spring and it smoothed up the trigger and has been 100% so far, I even got lucky and got one that feeds Hollow points. The P6 was my 1st SIG I ever bought. I shot the Armys M11 a few times but I could not pass up on the price of the P6. I was going to use it as a House gun and just load it and leave it but I have so much fun with it I find myself shooting it more and more. The grip is a little short for me(Big Hands) but other than that its been a good gun.

Looking at the posts I think you should look into a nice used Colt Ser 70, used. They are spendy but that means they will hold their value. I cannot get around the forward serrations. I want a SA loaded but I get turned off by the Forward serations. The colts had some feeding problems but mine has been a fairly reliable gun since I got it in the 80's used. Most were due to magazine problems and that has been fixed by Wilson and others.