9mm 1911's?

David the Gnome

I've been wanting a 9mm 1911 for quite some time but it seems like there aren't a lot of choices out there. Rock Island Armory has been talking about a 9mm model for a while now but I haven't seen a definite date on it yet. The other options out there are pretty expensive. The Springfield isn't very easy to find and I'm not a huge fan of forward cocking serrations, the Para has the covert black finish which I'm not a huge fan of (my Slim Hawg had it and it wore off shockingly easy), and I've never been a huge fan of Kimbers. Are there any other models out there I'm missing?

Springfield Armory Loaded Full Size
MSRP: POR (Last price I could find $1025)

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=23

PCX99Rphoto_big.jpg

Para Ordnance PXT 1911 Single-Action Single Stack
MSRP: $929

http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=72

stainless.jpg

Kimber Stainless II
MSRP: $983

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/custom/stainless_II/164/

Ranger2Web_800w.jpg

STI Ranger II
MSRP: $1,110

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/RangerII/RangerII.html

Last edited:

schmeky

David,

Build your own. I did it twice. The first was a new Rock Island in .38 Super. Bought a cheap barrel from Sarco for $50.00, adjusted the extractor, and had a bitchin' 9mm 1911 for under $450.00. Used the stock .38 Super recoil spring and the magazine even worked with no problems.

Did the same thing with a Colt in .38 Super but I had a match barrel and bushing fitted by a good gunsmith. This thing is one-hole accurate at 30' when my trigger finger is working like it should. Awesome gun, but I spent to much money on this one.

hoytinak

Yeah, I've been wanting a fullsize 9mm 1911 for some time now but haven't picked one up yet. I've pretty much got everything I want right now exept for the 9mm 1911 so I guess I should start saving up....prolly gonna go with a STI (support a local Texas company).

cchardwick

Hey David, I'm curious, did you use any kind of gun scrubber or other solvent on your Para Slim Hawg? The reason I ask is because I hear conflicting opinions on the Covert Black finish, some say it's great and others say that it wears very fast. I'm thinking maybe it's sensitive to some kind of solvent such as Gun Scrubber that softens it and makes it come off? I just ordered a couple Para-1445s in Covert Black but the one that I'm carrying now has a Regal finish. Haven't carried it long enough to know if it's durable over the long haul, but I'm concerned about the Covert Black on my new purchases. In fact if I find the finish wears off easily I'm thinking of having it redone in NP3 or other tough aftermarket finish.

Para has an aftermarket stainless 18+1 round 9mm, in fact it's probably the only 9mm I'd consider buying myself:

PX189Sphoto_big.jpg

Full Capacity
Product Code: PX189S
Caliber: 9mm
Rounds: 18+1
Barrel: 5"
Weight: 40 oz.
Length: 8.5"
Height: 5.75"
Hammer: Spurred
Sights: Adjustable
Receiver: Stainless
Finish: Stainless
Magazine: PNM9
MSRP: $1,109.00

Last edited:

David the Gnome

cchardwick said:
Hey David, I'm curious, did you use any kind of gun scrubber or other solvent on your Para Slim Hawg? The reason I ask is because I hear conflicting opinions on the Covert Black finish, some say it's great and others say that it wears very fast. I'm thinking maybe it's sensitive to some kind of solvent such as Gun Scrubber that softens it and makes it come off? I just ordered a couple Para-1445s in Covert Black but the one that I'm carrying now has a Regal finish. Haven't carried it long enough to know if it's durable over the long haul, but I'm concerned about the Covert Black on my new purchases. In fact if I find the finish wears off easily I'm thinking of having it redone in NP3 or other tough aftermarket finish.
I didn't use harsh cleaners on it, unless you count CLP as harsh. The areas the finish wore off were the edges. The finish came off on the thumb safety, slide catch, and the edges of the frame and slide from holstering. I carried it daily for a month and it looked like I had been carrying it for 5 years. It was a great carry gun, never failed me in anyway, but the finish left a lot to be desired. I like Para guns a lot but my future Para purchases will be stainless. :)

predecessor

larryh1108 is right on the money. The Llama is the way to go to inexpensively enjoy the 1911 platform with the equally inexpensive 9MM round. I have a Llama XI-B that has not given me any problems, fits well, and has been fun to shoot. Along the same vein, one should seriously consider the Star B and BM models as well. For awhile, I was eyeing the discontinued Colt 9MM 1911's that seemed to run in the $800-$900 range. Then, in talking to a 1911 master gunsmith, was convinced that if I was going to spend close to $1000 or more on a 1911 that it probably ought to be a .45 ACP -- that the 9MM's were known to be less reliable. So for now, the Spanish 1911's are my Nines and I'll pick up a dandy custom Colt 1911 down the road.

OldCorp

Yep, I too wanted a 1911 in 'fairly afforable-to-shoot' 9mm. Just couldn't see laying out almost $1k for what was gonna be a knock-around and range fun-gun.
I got a nice Star Super B off 'broker. Yeah, I know very well that it's not a real 1911, but darn it, it's feels good, shoots good and accurate, feeds all ammo, including JHP's, and was very afforable. Still looking for an acceptable OWB holster for it, though. Models for a 1911 are just not quite right.

wnycollector

+ 1 on the star model B and BM. My father-in-law has both and they are great pistols...its a shame star is no longer in business:(

Sam06

I am with you on the forward serrations:barf: When did that become a "Standard" on 1911's? I must be too old and out of touch with the new "Styles".........That said of the ones you posted I like the looks of the PA. I have a Colt Series 70 Commander in 9MM(Blued) but I shoot it very rarely. As Wyn said above the Star B and BM are good guns. Star takes a lot of heat but they were a good company and built some very good older guns. They look kind of like a 1911 but are different in the mechanics. They are good shooter though and will not set you back much. Parts are out there, but investment wise they will never be a collector piece.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=118982166

Above is a nice one on GunBroker. They are going up in value all the time.

amd6547

I really don't see the need for a 9mm 1911 when the Browning HiPower is the finest SA 9mm in the world, plus gives you a 13rd mag.

csmsss

I find it extraordinarily difficult to consider the concept of the 1911 discretely from the .45 ACP round. To me, they are part and parcel, and I cannot conceive of one without the other (though I would certainly love to find a handy, relatively inexpensive .45 ACP carbine using 1911 magazines).

That said, get what YOU want. I'm sure that the same companies which make great 1911's in .45 ACP make great 1911's in 9mm too.

OldCorp

Agreed, the 1911 is the classic platform for the .45 ACP. Got a few of'em. It's just that with the insane-of-late ammo costs, it's nice to still keep your hand in with a 1911 and spend less $$ in doing so. (all my reloading stuff is in storage)
I already own what I believe is one of the best pistols in the world in 9mm - the HK P7. My hand still yearned for a 1911, though.

rock185

David, I'm not a big Kimber fan either and don't care for the forward serrations on any 1911. I have to say though, that you might want to look again at the Kimber Target II 9mm. I have one, and have owned two others. All were nicely fitted and finished, and all of them just worked. I use the Metalform "Springfield-front ramp" type mags, which probably doesn't hurt. I have used several different types of factory ammo, to include NATO, +P, and +P+ JHPs, my reloads, etc, etc, with never a problem.

I've handled, but not shot, the STI Trojan in 9mm. It seemed to be very solid, tightly fitted and well finished. I'm Seriously considering one of the STIs in 9mm myself...

David the Gnome

I like shooting my Star Model B a lot but the magazine springs that came in mine were worn out and don't reliably feed the first round. I have to load the magazines -1 to get past that. Wolf doesn't make magazine springs for the Model B, although they make other Star springs. There was a gentleman on gunboards who sells Star parts but they're very expensive and would only be a temporary solution unless I just stocked up.

The Star Model B is the reason I want a 9mm 1911 so badly. The weight of the gun just swallows up the recoil of the smaller 9mm round. I have used my Star Model B to teach several women how to shoot since they can manage the recoil much better from the 9mm. All in all it's a very fun gun to shoot and I would like very much to get that same experience in a newer gun where fear of finding parts isn't so high.

starmodb01xj8.jpg