9MM 147 grain cause jams in YOUR 9MM?

snevensmores

I know that this is limited experience, but I've run around fifty Winchester 147gr JHP through my Kel-Tec P11 without a hiccup. It's what I have loaded up for when something goes bump in the night.

evan1293

I've shot thousands of 147gr rounds through my glock 17 without a problem. Of course, thats to be expected from a glock :D

sholling

What's with the bogus link? It's an ad site. And the whole idea that 147gr is a bad idea is as bogus as the link.

roman3

I believe that comes from his essay of about 15 years ago when the 147 grain ammo was :barf:

Lots of changes in the quality and ability of 147 Grain.

Fired both HST and Win Rangers and had no issues in many different 9mm's.

Ammo that did cause a problem in some of my European guns = older Cor Bon 115 +P

Total B.S. I shoot lots of 147 in my P89. It shoots that and anything else, including reloads, with equal aplomb.

Whirlwind06

I have had trouble with 147 grain rounds in my KT P11.
But sinice I have replaced the mag springs is seems to run fine now.
My P89 has no problem with them, or any other 9mm I have owned.

WESHOOT2

in my nines

I run weights from 115g up to 151g; I've tested 158g bullets, too.

Apparently not everything one reads on the Internet is true.

18DAI

I've run cases of 147 gr 9mm through all my S&W semi auto's without a problem.

Most of my 9mm are most accurate when using 147. In the winter, my carry ammo is Winchester Ranger 147 grain. Regards 18DAI.

FM12

Sorry ab out the link not working, but copied letter for letter (I think!)

Thanks for the replies/ I think his statement was more to the BHP than anything else.

I'll try the link again later, FM12

dirksterg30

I think this is the link you are looking for: http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

My wife and I both carry Golden Saber 147gr. ammo in our CZs, and we've never had an issue with it. As far as Chuck's statement, I would think you'd have to take that on a gun by gun basis ie. you won't know if the round will give you feeding problems unless you try it in a specific gun. We ran 100+ rounds of 147gr. through each of our CZs with no issues before using it as carry ammo.

And here's some of the "wisdom" on that page, which strikes me as a bunch of BS:

Now it is time to impart some crucial information: NEVER use 147 grain ammo in a 9mm pistol! There was a stupid fad for 147 grain hollowpoints a few years ago, and many were suckered into buying these weak, worthless and malfunction-prone rounds. I don't care what you've heard: never use any 9mm hollowpoint heavier than 125 grains. 147 grain hollowpoints often jam in many popular 9mm guns like the Browning Hi-Power, SIG, Beretta 92, S&W and Glock. Ignore the gun magazine hype and stick to what works. If you want to gamble, go to Reno. Don't gamble with your life. 147 grain ammo sucks.

Bad 9mm Loads to avoid (and certainly NEVER carry). Numbers given:

Federal Gold Medal 9mm 147 grain JHP (9MS)
Federal Hydra-Shok 9mm 147 grain JHP (P9HS2)
Winchester 147 grain 9mm Silvertip Subsonic JHP (X9MMST147)
Winchester 147 grain 9mm Super-X Subsonic (XSUB9MM)
Remington 147 grain 9mm JHP (R9MM8)
Remington 147 grain 9mm Golden Saber JHP (GS9MMC)
Remington 140 grain 9mm JHP (R9MM7)
Remington 88 grain 9mm JHP (R9MM5) This bullet is far too light.
CCI Lawman 147 grain 9mm PHP "Plated Hollow Point" (3619)

From the ballistics I've seen, 147gr. ammo typically penetrates & expands very well, often better than lighter rounds:

Handgun_gel_comparison.jpg

The picture was taken from this page: http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=237

tex45acp

Same here...I have never had a problem, other than finding them sometime, shooting the 147gr. JHP's in any of my 9mm's.

Boris Bush

I have always found 147s to be the most accurate and when I can get 158s I get a few boxes. I carry in my everyday carry pistol, Winchester 147 grain HPs. Accurate, feed, extract and eject just fine. Also, the majority of my handgun kills on deer have been with a 9mm loaded with Golden Sabers. I have tried lighter bullets but they never work as well. Since deer and humans are light skinned light boned animals, one could expect similar performance.

roman3

As I said before its also a dated article/op-ed. Its been out for a while and is based on the issues some of the early 147 grain ammo was allegedly reported to have.

It also claims Cor Bon 115 +P is the best ammo for a 9mm.
This data seems outdated and this round surplanted by much better ammo choices.

But he is correct about cor bon jamming some "older" guns, I had it jam a CZ 75 PCR (not that old) and a Walther P88 (somewhat old but not really)