9 mm target/nightstand gun

DMMikey

Thanks.

A lot of great suggestions here. Its becoming more and more obvious that I will have to spend some time behind the trigger of anything I end up buying. Looks like a long trip to Niagara Falls, for the only commercial range that I know of in the area that rents guns.
Like I said, NYS handgun laws make all these kind of facilities a little more scarce than anywhere else.
Thanks again for the help. It at least sounds like maybe I'm on the right track.

Mike

MBRinTN

Another vote for the CZ. I picked one up not long ago, my first semi-auto in a very long time, having gone the revolver route. I chose the CZ75 Stainless, in part because it gives the opportunity to experiment with three trigger modes: First shot long DA, first shot half-cock, shorter DA, and first shot SA with manual safety. I've got short fingers, and while I have about ruled out the first mode, I have no trouble manipulated the trigger in the half-cock or the SA mode. I also have some arthritis in my hands, and have had no problem with racking the slide, decocking, or other tasks which require managing the controls on the gun. The only issues I have had are with flicking the manual safety on; my mangled short thumb just doesn't have the leverage. I have to either shift my grip or use my support hand. Another plus for the CZ is the availability of the Kadet .22 conversion kit for cheap(er) practice. Same trigger, controls, etc., two guns in one. Lots of other good choices out there, good luck!

1SOW

The CZ 75SA is arguably one of the best buys out there in a dual purpose pistol.

MBRinTN re
I've got short fingers, and while I have about ruled out the first mode, I have no trouble manipulated the trigger in the half-cock or the SA mode.
I was in the same situation with a 75B. There is an easy fix.
Buy the Wolff 15lb recoil and 15lb hammerspring ($15 +/-)
Work up the nerve to do the trigger job shown on the CZForum under FAQs. It has good pics and step-by-step instructions. The CZ rubber grips also shorten the reach to the trigger noticeably. $cheap.
The difference with just the springs is dramatic! I can shoot DA and transition to the SA without even being aware of the change.
After doing the trigger job, both DA & SA were smoother, but SA especially improved.
My gun had a few thousand rounds through it when I changed the springs. BEST money I ever spent on a pistol.

DMMikey

Maybe Glock 34

After more research, I am also considering the Glock 34. Especially if the trigger is reasonable. From what I have read, the stock trigger on this model is the lighter 4.5 lb model. If the length of pull is reasonable, and I can get used to the grip angle, I might go with this.
My only experience with a Glock has been fondling and dry firing at Gander Mountain with very suspicious acting clerks watching. I remember trigger as feeling pretty strange, long and sort of strangely mechanical. Not really gritty, but just.... weird. And the grip as being kind of slippery and square, but this was a prior generation....
I might be confusing that with the SW 99 that I looked at the same day. That I remember as being very strange, with a reset and a notch about 1/2 way through the pull. This was a 2 stage trigger that came out just before they were marketing the "QA" or quick action trigger.
Will have to look at the Glock again, it does sound like it was designed with target work specifically in mind, so may be upgraded in other ways, also.
Anyone out there with one?

Mike

Last edited:
I saw a guy at the range shooting a G-34 and man, it was really accurate. Dont know about the trigger but it sure as crap could shoot the 10 ring completely out of the target.

Northalius

A Glock 34 Competition would be awesome! A glock 17L (L = Long) would be even better... with a 6" barrel. The G34's barrel is 5.32" long, so it's not too bad either, of course. ;)

Then again, if you plan on competition shooting, you do want the Glock 34 Competition! The shooting competition rules don't allow the longer Glock 17L in... maybe because they know it'll whoop everyone else! ;)

You get 17 rounds magazines, +1 in the chamber would = 18 rounds altogether in the gun, at any one time! Then you can get +2 magazine extensions, and then have 20 rounds in the gun!

Then you can buy Glock 18 magazines for any 9mm Glock, which hold 33 rounds! These'd be good for long practice sessions at the range, or simply be used in SHTF situations. ;)

Can't go wrong with a Glock, that's for dang sure.

Drink in the Kool Aid... it's good! Ooh YEAAAH! :D