8mm Mauser - Why?

Cpl Punishment

Just to throw in a little advice:

As to the rifle, any large ring Mauser in good condition (think bore and metalwork here, stocks can be replaced), will take more than any of us can dish out. If you want it primarily as a shooter, then find the cheapest one you can in good condition and don't worry about where it's from.

On the ammo: Try S&B (Sellier and Bellot), they load to full JS power, and have some nice SP hunting ammo. 8mmJS loads are every bit as powerful as a .30'06, with a slightly larger (.323) bullet.

DorGunR

On the ammo: Try S&B (Sellier and Bellot), they load to full JS power, and have some nice SP hunting ammo. 8mmJS loads are every bit as powerful as a .30'06, with a slightly larger (.323) bullet.

Norma also loads full power which puts the 8mm right close to the 30.06.

jefnvk

The M96/38's had a straight bolt, as they were chopped down 96's.

The M38's had a bent bolt. If yours is a Husky, it is a 38.

essexcounty

If I was given the task of designing a deer/big game cartridge and came up with the 8X57 I would give myself a resounding pat on the back!...Essex

When you get your K98, put it on the side of your Swede. I'll bet you'll notice vast differences in workmanship between the 2 rifles. It may be because the Swedes were not affected by the world wars so more time could be taken on the rifle. If yours is anything like mine its a true work of art.

Olaf

jeffnvk,

I checked the Mitchell's website for K98k's....since you said that they have some. You are correct - they do. Only, they are shown as all-original SS models, complete with Runes and "Death's Heads"....and all that crap. Oh and their cheapest model of the K98k sells for $2500. They range up to $10,000.

So, I feel safe in standing behind my original statement. The rifle that IrishGrit's father has is almost certainly an M48....or M48a.

OkieCruffler

Here's one of my favorites.
339668.jpg

She ain't German, but there ain't no flies on her. And most people wouldn't believe what the old 8X57 is capable of in the hands of a careful reloader.

IrishGrit

Olaf....Thanks for the info. I did realize that the Mitchell family was only responsible for buying and storing the rifles....but the Krupp steel info was all new to me. Interesting stuff. Thanks:)

Scribe

Okiecruffler

If you don't mind me asking, which scope, rings and mount? That scope does not look like the usual low/fixed power long eye relief set up.

OkieCruffler

That's a Bsquare mount. I know alot of people have had problems with them but I've used them on Mausers and Mosins several times with no problems at all. Avoid the Mitchell mounts. I tried one and the mou8nt is so soft the threads stripped out when I tried to tighten the screws.
The scope in the picture is a NcStar 4X that now sits on top of my Savage Striker 22. The Mauser wears a NcStar 2.5X now, but I haven't taken it out to be zeroed yet.
I'm not sure whcih brand of rings are on there, I think weaver. I use verticle split rings on everything I have.

FirstFreedom

I know what you meant, mooreshawn. When I said "pistol grip", I didn't mean a completely separate grip like an AR15 - many people call a more curved stock a pistol grip if it has any slight protuberance and the base of the curve even if it's not a separate component of the stock at all - but my mistake - I misused the term pistol grip, since what you are referring to has not much of a protuberance at all. I know exactly what you were saying though. The product I mentioned is not a pistol grip; it provides a more vertical grip - and one that is closer the the trigger guard (nice for people like me with shorter fingers).

The M38's had a bent bolt.
Ahhh, ok.

BlueTrain

I had always heard that Swedish steel was the best but my own Swedish M96 (long) rifle made in 1900 is German made. How's that for a twist?

At first I thought you were referring to a real Swedish carbine, the M94. I don't have one and they aren't common. I think ones sold in this country had a half-inch added to the front of the barrel to meet the legal barrel limit but you wouldn't notice it if you didn't know otherwise. The M38 I would call a short rifle.

I have noticed the difference in commercial and military ammuntion in .303 British. The military ammuntion is noticably more powerful. I have also noticed the same thing between my pistol handloads and (any) commercial ammuntion, especially in 9mm. It used to be that you handloaded to have lighter loads.

cracked butt

The steel used in your father's Michell's Mauser (Yugoslav M48 or M48a)....was made in Serbia, by the Yugoslavs. It is of a formulation provided to them by FN, in Belgium (before WWII). It is also every bit as good as the steel used in the German rifles.

They maybe had the formulation for it, but there is no telling that their quality control was all that great. I have a m48 that has all kinds of signs of soft steel- the shoulders on the firing pin are peened, the rear of the receiver is peened, and I had to replace the safety and it still doesn't work right. Its a great shooter, but not a well made rifle by any stretch of the imagination.

I had always heard that Swedish steel was the best but my own Swedish M96 (long) rifle made in 1900 is German made. How's that for a twist

The 96s made between 1898 and 1900 at Oberdorf were made of Swedish Steel. Sweden was very specific about the materials that the Germans were to use for their rifles. I have 2 1899 m96s and a later Carl Gustav, They all rate about the same to me.