8mm - '06

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimro

weedwacker, the k98 is chambered for the 8x57JS Mauser, with a true .323 caliber bullet. Before the JS loading, there was the 8x57S with a .318 caliber bullet, used on some very old and very rare by now Gew98's as well as older service rifles. American loads are "anemic" for the safety reason that someone might put the JS loading in a 318 bore rifle. European's figure that their customers know what their rifle is supposed to shoot and accordingly load their ammo to full potential.

Jimro

WeedWacker

IU saw ammo for the 8mm mauser at $30 a box of 20. Is there a better price? I also looked at the 7.62x54 R for a Mosin Nagant at $20 a box of 20. Are there better prices for this as well? and I mean besides buying in bulk.

Jimro

Yes, much better, check Sellier and Bellot from the Czech Republic, and Prvi Partizan from Serbia.

Winchester white box 7.62x54r is reboxed S&B, Wolf Gold is reboxed Prvi. These both make good 8x57 and 7.62x54r ammo.

For good "cheap" 7.62x54r that uses steel case, any of the Russian stuff will work, but black box Wolf has a reputation for being "dirty". I like Barnaul ammo myself, Barnaul also produces for Brown Bear and Silver Bear brands.

Do some research, check around, you'll find good ammo for cheap. Not as cheap as surplus tho.

Jimro

DunRanull

Thread Not Dead!

Plenty of info out there regarding 8mm (7.92X57) For a time there have been cases of surplus in this round.. much of it in 190 gr. The Romanian surplus around has 154gr. Ive been shooting 8mm Mauser since I was big enuff to shoot Dad's ww2 bringback Mauser. The 8mm will do about anything the .30-06 will do.. I have used the Sellier & Bellot for deer hunting. This stuff kicks @$$... no namby-pamby. Given the right rifle I wouldnt hesitate to take elk.
I couldnt help myself when some of the 8mm surp came around- after years of using scrounged or weak Mauser ammo. So God willing Ive enough to last me the end of my days!
One thing Ive been wanting to try is "pull" some of the military ammo and replace them with 198gr hunting bullets.
The point about action length is a good one- if you want to build a sporter. Sporting rifles are better found at local gun stores or the big box-stores.

RaySendero

WW,

I'm not sure what your wanting to do???

If your wanting an inexpensive BG rifle, You'll be better off buying one chambered for a more common cartridge than the 8-06!

If you want to build a rifle in 8-06, then: An 8-06 (or 8-06AI) is a reloading only cartridge requiring you to also reform the brass - Do you reload and if so, have you had any experience reforming rifle brass from one caliber to another?

btmj

To add to what Ray Sendero said...

If you simply want the capability of the 8mm-06, you should take a serious look at the 338-06 A-square. There are a lot of 338 caliber bullets to choose from, and you can purchase factory ammunition from A-square and some other companies.

Generally we frown on resurrecting old threads, and this one is 5 years old, to answer a point or question that someone made years ago.

In many cases, the individual to whom the new post is directed hasn't been active at TFL for a long time.

We call them zombie threads -- threads that went through their natural lifecycle years ago and which have, due to the magic of the internet, suddenly jumped back to life.

So, we're merciful, and put the threads back to rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.