8mm - '06

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeedWacker

I don't seem to be able to find any specific rifle manufacturers that carry this caliber. At least I don't see it in writing. Any particular recommendations?

Scorch

Well, that doesn't surprise me much since it is a wildcat cartridge. However, with all the current attention the 338/06 and 338 Federal are getting, I don't quite understand why. Perhaps because neither are an improvement over the 8X57. So, you probably won't find a manufacturer listing a rifle in this cartridge. You won't find factory ammo. What you may find is a solid group of 8mm fans. So start a trend!

Jimro

The best use for the 8mm-06 is when you have a milsurp Mauser with a worn throat. The performance of an 8x57 is such that you don't get much of a boost going to the longer 06 brass, only about 100 fps safely.

Jimro

WeedWacker

If I were to go for the 8mm mauser I would probably get a K98k just because it wouldn't seem right. Kinda like I wouldn't dream of having a .30-30 in bolt or pump or semi or break actions. Kinda a caliber purist I guess. This also goes for the 7.62 x 39 for the AK or SKS in somthing that is single shot or somthing.

pinotguy

I thought about the 8mm-06 for a little bit but decided to go with a 35 Whelen. The 8-06 is a decent enough .30-06 wildcat and makes sense as there are a lot of old 8mm Mauser rifles out there. However, I think there are some other 8mm cartridges that are a better choice - specifically the 8x68S. That is the greatest 8mm cartridge ever developed.

Last edited:

taylorce1

What would you like to know about the 8mm-06? I have one built on a VZ-24 Mauser action, like the info that was previously stated it was reamed because of a bad throat. This was a common conversion after WWII because 8X57 brass was hard to find but .30-06 brass was plentiful. The bullet selection isn't as good for the 8mm as it is for the .308 or .338 calibers IMO.

I can't complain about the accuracy out of mine it will shoot 1-1.5" groups as long as I do my part. It really doesn't make sense unless you have a bad throat on an old Mauser and can reload, the conversion will only cost about $100. Roughly $50 for the gunsmith to ream the chamber (if he has the reamers) another $50 for the dies. Definatly cheaper than a rebarrel job by your gunsmith.

I know Midway has some brass for sell with the proper head stamps for the 8mm-06, it is just to expensive for my taste. I simply use a primer sealer that I buy, looks like a fingernail polish bottle, to marke the reloads so I don't chamber the wrong cartridge in my rifles. I use the same brass in 4 rifles of different calibers, I used to just use silver and normal colored brass untill I got the other two calibers that I play with. I finaly broke down and bought the proper head stamped brass for my .338-06 and .35 Whelen. Helps keep it a little simpler.

WeedWacker

Actually I am looking at buying a K98 and modifying it to a sporter (what's the fun in getting one that is already converted? :cool: ) then taking it hunting. Would that be a good idea or would I need to take up reloading to have ammo for the thing? (I don't have tiume or mony for a press and stuff right now but in 15 years... *hoping the anti's haven't removed our liberty of reloading by then*)

FirstFreedom

The caliber doesn't make much sense with the existence of the two very similar rounds - the common 8x57 mauser and the slightly smaller bore .30-06.

taylorce1

8mm-06 always has been and probably will always be a reloader special. If you don't need to ream the K98 your looking at don't. Buy the European manufactured ammunition to get the best performance out of the cartridge.

The caliber doesn't make much sense with the existence of the two very similar rounds - the common 8x57 mauser and the slightly smaller bore .30-06.
Actually it made a lot of sense to the veterans who brought back rifles from Germany to hunt with. There was no sense in having a perfectly good Mauser you couldn't find ammo for that wasn't affordable if you could find it at all. Plus there are a lot of calibers out there that make just as much sense as this rifle that made it into commercial production anyway. Plus having a non-standard caliber rifle is something that is always fun to talk about at the range or in camp.

WeedWacker

Any recommendations for a .30-'06 under $200 then? cause I have seen some K98k's for under $100 (cheapo's) to $150 (A little better condition)

joshua

If you can find an acceptably good condition mauser for $150 please let me know. The Turkish ones are not as appealing as the German or nicely made Yugos, but I tend to shy away from the Turkish type due to strength issues of their metal. Is it just me? I need one just for $hietes and grins. josh

Jimro

For a good 8mm-06 conversion, look for a VZ24, 98/22, K98, Gew98, Turk M38 K.Kale. These are standard length actions.

Avoid Yugo 24/47's and M48's (intermediate action, slightly shorter than standard and kinda difficult to cram in a full length 06 cartrige), but Yugo remarked k98's are fine.

Hope this helps. The K.Kale m38 turks are made from a pretty tough steel even tho they are softer than other mausers they are safe. Other turks have been rearsenaled a couple times and I avoid them in modern high pressure cartriges.

Jimro

taylorce1

WW you'll just have to look around. I found some decent JC Higgns built on FN Mauser actions that I could have bought for $200 + tax. These rifles were definatly rode hard and put up wet, so to speak. I should have bought them at the time just for the actions to build on later. I know you are looking for an elk rifle but don't limit yourself to one caliber choice, although the .30-06 is an excellent choice a .270 or a .308 will work as well.

I wouldn't be afraid to try a K98 even if it is a good deal. Throw on a good synthetic stock and mount a scope and give it a try. The regular old 8mm Mauser isn't anything to sneeze at. The reason I recommended 8X57 European loads is that the U.S. doesn't load the cartridge to it's full potential. The stuf made in the USA will do the job on all large game in the lower 48 as long as you do yours. That old K98 might even suprise you how well it can shoot for a cheap rifle.

WeedWacker

I have heard really good things about the K98 and I have seen synthetic stocks with scope mounts for the K98. If I can find one when I have the cash that's what I might get. I might even leave it wood just to have the authentic feel but if I think about taking it on an elk hunt I might want to use the synthetic stock.

FirstFreedom

Actually it made a lot of sense to the veterans who brought back rifles from Germany to hunt with. There was no sense in having a perfectly good Mauser you couldn't find ammo for that wasn't affordable if you could find it at all.

Yep. Made a lot of sense back then, when 8x57 ammo & brass was scarce. As I said, makes no sense now. Nothing wrong with it. Just makes no sense to take a proactive step to create a gun in the caliber, except, as Jimro points out, if you already have an existing 8x57 with a throat gone kaput. But not to out of the blue make a rifle in. I'm down with having different stuff, but it ought to be different enough to justify it - at least .338-06 in bore size.

WeedWacker

Ok i'm confused now. Not really that knowlegeable in all the different calibers. What is the caliber of the K98 and are there factory loads for it?

dfaugh

Actually I'm building an 8mm-06 AI, on a VZ-24. Since you have to handload anyway, might as well go to AI, right.

AND, with carefully crafted handloads, it's stepping right on the heels of the 338 Win Mag (about 200 fps less w/ equal weight bullets.)

8mm bullet selection has been growing as well, although you'll never see the variety you will witha .30(x).

taylorce1

with carefully crafted handloads, it's stepping right on the heels of the 338 Win Mag (about 200 fps less w/ equal weight bullets.)

I'm surprised you are not closer to .338 Win Mag speeds with your riflle. My .338-06 with 200 grain Hornady's and RL 15 is running at 2880, this is better than most factory ammo for the .338 Win Mag ammo by a few fps. I know that properly hand loaded .338 WM ammo will out perform my .338-06 but it sure is nice to get factory Win Mag performance with less powder, I'm not sure on the recoil yet.

I've only been pushing my 8mm-06 with Sierra 175 grain along at a leisurely 2600 fps because the stock needs a good recoil pad and not the plastic but plate. I'm sure I can get close to 3000 fps without any pressure signs, but can you say ouch! It shoots so good at 2600 I don't know if I want to push it any harder anyway.

FirstFreedom, with the amount of redundant cartridges out there today surely the 8mm-06 could find a home if it was commercialy produced. Most of the new cartridges introduced in the last 3-5 years don't perform better than what was already out there. I mean we have the new .30 T/C and .308 Marlin, which are trying to duplicate the .308 Win in a different package and don't get me started on the WSSM and WSM cartridges. Don't get me wrong I'm glad rifle and cartridge companies come out with new stuff every year, it gives us something to talk about.

essexcounty

I shot a few 'chucks with a friend's back when cars had tailfins. I see it as a fine old wildcat that made a lot of sense for Model 98 owners that still have good bores and don't mind handloading. A couple of times I've come close to doing one, but I never got around to it. I see it as ideal as a woods cartridge for deer and moose......Essex

Status
Not open for further replies.