7.62x39 "armor piercing" ?????

Gewehr98

Don't forget...

A magnet will also attract a steel-jacketed bullet. Steel-jacketed bullets and their assembled ammo are not part of the ban. They'll look like normal rounds, because they have a copper wash over the steel jacket material. So keep the Dremel or mill file nearby if you really want to know after the magnet "alerts" on a suspect round. ;)

Steel core (ie, internal steel penetrator rod) is AP. By comparison, steel jacket w/ lead core is not, and is simply a cost-saving manufacturing expedient. Let's not confuse the two.

john in jax

I'm with Hedly, that "all copper wash/color" sounds like the Norinco mfg I was selling back the mid-late 80's. It's been a LONG time but IIRC Norinco had a bad reputation for accuracy, because they were using whatever cheap scrap they could lay their hands on for the cores leading to inconsistant bullet weight, etc.... Shoot it and enjoy it, just don't expect it to group consistantly.

TPAW

Had some AP a while back. To my surprize, it went through an oak tree trunk that was about 18 inches thick! About 8 to 10 rounds acutally split an engine block!.........:eek:

Csspecs

I'd sell it or trade it, if you can double your ammo or better. Your ammo is almost 13 years old, you could have new ammo and more of it!

Mike U.

Or he could roll the dice and make much more further down the line. As much as I'd like to see every RKBA related ban go to the ninth hell where it belongs, I don't see the armor piercing bullet ban going anywhere for quite a while.

Also, 13 years old is nada when it comes to ammo. I'm shooting 1950's ammo out of my Mosin right now and it still has mucho OOMPH!!

Or, were you looking into possibly buying his, Csspecs?
If so, sooorry. :eek: :eek: :p :D

Gewehr98

Just fired off a bunch of 100 year-old Rem-UMC .45-70 BP rounds.

So 13 year-old 7.62x39 ammo? No big deal whatsoever. ;)

Mannlicher

I say keep it for that possible rainy day. I have several sealed tins of the Norinco copper washed ammo. Head stamp is 31/93. I find it to be as accurate as any other 7.62 X 39 in my two SKS rifles, and my SA93 AK.
I never sell anything that you probably can't ever get again.

Csspecs

Well he asked if he should sell it or shoot it.

Now if he was going to keep it tucked away that would be another story.

oldcars

I don't like what I have heard about starting fires with sparks, I live in a very dry part of Oregon, and anything like that I try to avoid. I realy don't shoot the AK that much and I feel that the 3000 rounds of lead core stuff I have should keep me having fun for quite awhile. I have seen the prices that this stuff goes for $.50-1.00 a round!!!! thats insane!!!! could I get $200 per 550 rounds? thats under .37cents a round. I know if I sell it I might never get any more, but is it realy that special? I only have one gun that shoots 7.62x39, and I have 5 that shoot .223/5.56 so mabe I should trade for some of that?

Csspecs

Thats what I would do, its worth more money than it really is worth for what it is.

And you can buy green tip ammo in 5.56

45reloader

Do you have a loose round to cut open and see if it's the old Norinco steel core ammo.

To be honest.The world has more steel cored ammo then lead.Just here in the U.S. we can't have it.

I still have about 120 rounds of the steel core ammo for my AK's.
Rain day ammo for when the SHTF.

7.62 AP rounds

The 7.62 x 39 was never intended to take on anything heavyer that a person. So I will agree that the AP designation is bogus. I will go with the FMJ and maybe the stee core or partial steel core (Top part steel and bottom lead). I have some cheap Norinco stuff and I know it's not AP but it put a realy nice clean hole in 1/4 ince plate steel at 75 yards. I don't think it's worth much so just enjoy shooting it at pop cans or what ever your favorite target is.:)