7.62 X 25 MM Fans?

Zorro

7.62 X 25 MM the HOT little round from the Soviet Union.

Am I the only one who thinks that this caliber could be an outstanding "new" (To the USA) caliber for semi-auto pistols?

All it needs is a GOOD expanding bullet load from a major manufacturer at a decent price.

:)

Gillman

Me Too!

Ever since I got my C& R FFL, I've been "eyeing" these little pistols and will most likely end up with one.

They look like alot of fun to shoot, but with fire power like that, would an expanding bullet pass right through the intended target or stay long enough to do its job, I wonder?

Do you have one? I'll post if I end up getting one to let you know how it shoots.
Gillman

Marmy7451

Hot Performer

I got a Polish TT-33 and it is hot, also got a conversion barrel for 38 Super, my favorite caliber. This stuff is VERY hot!!!

Inter Ordnance now has a carbine for this caliber which I wish was in my budget plan. I enjoy my 9mm carbone, and my 45 and my 357, but I suspect that the 7.62 X 25 would be a real eye opener in a carbine. The Russians did very well with it against the Germans!

I usually have mine as a car gun as it will RE:IABLY go through car doors, windiws and windshields.

There is a man in San Antonio who loads some very hot HP's for this caliber and they seem to work well.

Ceol Mhor

I've gotten to shoot a friend's pair of CZ-52s...they're really fun, but they sure do jump around when fired. What would be really cool would be a good hi-cap carbine in 7.62x25.

Eric Larsen

The "Tok" round is a favorite of mine. I shoot a CZ52 once in a while. IMO, I think someone should make a newly designed pistol for this round and ammo makers should make a hollow point bullet for them...I would be the first in line. :D
Shoot well

jmlv

The 762x25 is an amazion little round

And boy does it penatrate! would you beleave both sides of a level 2A vest? and so deep into the tree behind the vest that the bullet was unrecoverable.(checz ammo 85 grain FMJ @ 1750 fps out of a 5" tokarov barrel) True. Tests performed by Charles Karwin for the Second Edition of the Gun Digest Book of Combat Hangunnery.
The Tokarov are sweet and accurste guns and mine never seems to malfunction. Its a keeper. When the C&R gets here(ok to the new house) I want to ad a CZ52 to the collection as well. I love this round.

Mikul

I keep hearing rumors that the 7.62x25 travels near 1,800 ft/s, but when I look at various web sites they only claim 1,300 ft/s.

Sounds like 9mm specs to me.

'01 GSR

Depends on whether or not you've got Czech SMG ammo or not.

Most Czech ammo will reach 1500 fps, while the SMG stuff on strippers will reach 1700-1900fps, depending on the workers at the factory and their rations of pickled herring and toilet paper.

Ceol Mhor

Boston's Gun Bible says the 7.62x25 gets 74gr/1600fps. Mikul, are you sure you're not looking at .30 Mauser? It has almost identical dimensions, but isn't nearly as hot as the Tokarev ammo.

Mikul

The following site has load data and chronograph data for commercial loads.

Czech 86gr 1482 ft/s
Sellier Bellot 85gr 1544 ft/s

and these are the fastest ones that are on there.

Compare this to a load from the Winchester load book for 9mm.

95gr FMJ 1440 ft/s with 7.8gr of PowerPistol

With an 85gr jacketed 9mm and some +P loading, I'm sure we could be at 1600 ft/s out of a pistol. This would make for some interesting tests. Does anyone have both guns to test?

Salt

I got a Tokorov 7.62x25 and I will be getting another one to have a matched pair.

I hope Kel-Tec will come around to producing their Sub-2000 carbine in this cartridge. It would also be good for them to produce a service sized pistol w/ Hi-cap magazines in this cartridge too.

Eric Larsen

Chrono results vary ALOT...we chrono'd some stuff well over 1650 fps. At best Tok ammo of all makes and manufactures is very inconsistant. The hot stuff really smokes 9mm....up there with 40 S&W loads...I will try and find the data. We figured the FPE of a couple of rounds at over 500 FPE.
Shoot well

Gewehr98

I've been loading Hornady JHP's for mine.

And with a good load of Accurate Arms #5 they zing right through the chrono over 1600fps from my CZ-52.

I'm really looking for somebody with the capability of making a 7.62x25 barrel for a 1911 variant, it should be a drop-in fit for the 9mm 1911's that are being made,even using the same magazines. Think about that one, a 5" 7.62x25 on a .45 ACP frame, using good Starline brass, with AA#5 squirting a Sierra or Hornady bullet, yeehaa!

:D

Zorro

Thing about Tokerov 7.62X25MM velocities is that you can make a softpoint work as well as hollowpoints in slower loads.

No more "clogging of hollowpoints" expanding bullet failures!

More a pocket rifle round than a pistol round.

I have never understood the attraction to this caliber. These velocities are easily attainable out of a .357 using much heavier bullets. In fact I can shoot a 110 grain HP out of a .357 at 1980 fps and still be within SAMMI specs for pressure (my chrono, listed in the Alliant manual at 2010 fps). I have loaded 158 grain loads at over 1600 fps from data that is right in the loading manual. True, you can get some pretty good penetration. I attribute that to the fact that some of this imported ammo has a steel core bullet. I was told by a dealer that the steel stuff has been banned from further importation. Imagine the penetration you would get if you could obtain a steel core bullet for the .357 in a 110 grain bullet that you could push faster and with more momentum due to the increased weight.
I got into this very discussion a year or two ago on here. I had to admit that I had never shot the 7.62x25 round so I was just making some assumptions. However since then, I bought two CZ-52 pistols. I bought a case of Winchester ammo and various assorted mil surp ammo. I bought a set of reloading dies and reloaded for the caliber. So now that I have some actual experience with the gun and the cartridge. My conclusion is that I still don't undertand the attraction of the caliber. I can see the attraction of the CZ52; it is a pretty darn good pistol at a good price. Ugly as hell, but it doesn't shoot bad.

JackDRipper

Are the TT-33 or Tokarev hard to find now? Who has the best prices? See lots of ads for the CZ52 but none for the Tokarevs.
Thanks, JR

brass shower

Would a conversion from 38 super or 9x23 to 7.62x25 be feasible? How do the overall lengths and case diameters of these two cartridges compare?

Zorro

The 7.62X25 is in a class all its own in the field of armour penetration!

.357?

Not really it fails on a regular basis against normal bullet proof vest!

Takes Rifle Class vest to stop 7.62 X25 MM.