6mm Rem vs 257 Bob rebarrel

HiBC

I don't doubt the 722 was chambered in 243 from the factory.In that case,Remington could set the rifle up for 243.In that case,the discussion would be different.

Its no skin off my nose. Do whatever makes you happy. Numrich .243 bottom metal might make it practical..I have not worked on a 722.

The only reason I waste my time writing about it is lessons I have learned building rifles .

burrhead

Actually, tango1niner is correct, in '60 and '61 the factory did make some 722 and 725 BOBs in 243 Win. They also produced 308s from the mid 50's until the end of production. I use to have one. Getting 243 bottom metal from Numrich is a good idea; hadn't thought of that.

eastbank

a rem 722 in .243 is my grail rifle. as I have all the rest 722,s and ever have two 257 Roberts, a first year and a last year transition early 60,s rifle. if you reload for a modern actioned rifle the 257 realy shines and out preforms the 243,s. and 6mm-7x57 cases can be formed into 257 Roberts very easy.

Dufus

a rem 722 in .243 is my grail rifle. as I have all the rest 722,s and ever have two 257 Roberts, a first year and a last year transition early 60,s rifle. if you reload for a modern actioned rifle the 257 realy shines and out preforms the 243,s. and 6mm-7x57 cases can be formed into 257 Roberts very easy.

All this is true, but the OP stated in the opening post that his niece and husband will never handload.

Picher

I've had one rifle re-barreled and swore never to do that again. The work was very good, but took way too long to get it back!!! If I wanted to change cartridges, I'd just sell/trade the rifle and get another to have what I wanted just as soon as I mounted a scope. I've been known to bed the action before shooting a rifle, but that's only about a one-day delay in shooting it. (A new rifle also comes with a warranty, so you may want to fire it before bedding.)

T. O'Heir

The .244 Rem is the 6mm Remington. Difference is the rifling twist.
You'd best have a look at this too.
https://www.remington.com/support/safety-center/safety-modification-program/remington-model-721-722
If that's already been done and you don't have but want 1 in 9 twist, you'll have to rebarrel. I think it'll cost as much as a new rifle though.
Do the Walmart Test. If the ammo is there you won't have a problem finding it in small places. The on-line equivalent is looking at Midway's site. There, the only available 6mm Rem ammo is 95 grain Hornady or 100 grain Winchester. Everything else is on 'No Backorder'.
Lots of something called .257 Roberts "+P"(literally above Hodgdon max loads) with deer suitable bullets. Best to reload anyway.
I'd be thinking Roberts just because the .244 was based on it. Simple rebarreling job with no fiddling with the bolt face or mag. And the ammo/brass is readily available.

RC20

Well I have built 3 target rifles on Savage actions. They all shoot under 3/4 and on good days (me) I have poked into the .250 area.

Remington all you have to do is take the barrel off and get a Reamage barrel and after that its about an hour at most to do a new barrel yourself.

Tickles me to build my own.

Pathfinder45

The simplest answer may be the best....

As has been previously mentioned, the 244 Remington is the same thing as the 6mm Remington, except for a slower rifling twist. Simply load ammo for it using 90 grain bullets. Use brand-new, single-base powder for the longest storage life; IMR-4350 comes to mind, but there are others. Work up a load that gives good accuracy and when you settle on a recipe that works, load up a few hundred rounds and put them in a GI ammo can in the coolest place in the house. A wine cellar would be ideal. Properly stored and using propellants known to have a long storage life, that ammo should last for a very, very long time.
So don't rebarrel it at all; just make ammo.

Last edited:

std7mag

The +P, brings the Roberts more into modern times.
Since the original era firearms built for the Roberts, then SAAMI won't up the pressures to corespond with modern bolt action rifles.
The increase in velocity can be significant.

HiBC

I poked around a bit on the Numrich site
The way it was listed, they showed the 308 using the same box and follower as the 257 and 244.The 243 was not mentioned.
So,it just might be that I was wrong about there being a problem. Maybe.

In any case,they are out of stock

dvdcrr

Why does everyone talk about the "Walmart test" You have the internet and a whole basement or at least a closet you can fill up a year ahead of time with ammo, primers etc. right?

dahermit

have had both a 6 MM Remington in a single-shot Browning B-78...the most accurate rifle I have ever owned, about 1/2 five shot groups at 100 yards. Killed a lot of deer with it using IMR-4350 and an 87 grain Hornady varmint bullet. I expected the varmint bullet to "blow-up" and shower the vitals with bits and pieces of the bullet however, in actual practice, (I always did a post-mortem), the jacket would separate from the core and usually stay in the chest cavity whereas the core would exit on the off-side causing a quick kill.

Also owned a circa 1976 Ruger M77 in .257 Roberts. The Ruger had excessive freebore, could not get anywhere near the rifling with the longest bullets. It got spooky when working up loads inasmuch as there were never any pressure signs, even way beyond max data published in the loading manuals. I finally backed down, for safety's sake. I killed a lot of deer with that rifle also using a 120 grain bullet (cannot remember the manufacture of the bullet now), before gifting the rifle to my son.

In all, they both killed deer efficiently and I could not realistically see any difference in their performance. However, it should be noted that I always shot the deer behind the shoulder, where there is but ribs to resist the bullet.

dahermit

Why does everyone talk about the "Walmart test" You have the internet and a whole basement or at least a closet you can fill up a year ahead of time with ammo, primers etc. right?
I agree. What kind of inept hunter does not sufficiently plan for a hunt that they have to seek on-the-shelf ammo? To those who consider availability, how many times have you "forgotten" your ammo when going hunting?

If a person does not handload they are either wealthy or they do not shoot enough to achieve the proficiency with their rifle. Handloading is a no-brainer. I have never considered the availability of any cartridge as a legitimate factor in choosing one cartridge over another.

Jim Watson

Recent threads indicate that 6mm and .257 ammo are generally scarce.
A local store had what would probably be a lifetime supply of both for hunting in their going out of business sale, but you can't depend on that.

I'd put a .243, .260, 7'08, or 6.5 CM barrel on it to give it do Daniece. Include the .244 barrel for when she wanted to sell it to a collector, if there are 722 collectors.

Rifletom

Not to hi-jack, but, the .257 Roberts has been called the .257 "Bob" for decades by past and present gun writer types. Ken Waters, Bob Milek, John Barsness just to name a few. Dedicated owners/shooters also have used the term. Nothing new, simply just a nick name for a grand old cartridge. Back on topic now.

Drm50

I hate Richard Simmons gun talk. Mossies, Winnies, Bobs ect. Back to subject,
correct me if I'm wrong, isn't there a problem with AOL of cartridge when a
722 is barreled to 6mm Rem? I had a factory 257 Roberts back in 60s. It was a
fine shooter but I didn't load 257 at the time. I have owned several 721 & 722
rifles and they all preformed well. I still have a mint 722 in 222Rem. It will be
one of the last rifles to leave the keeper rack. That saids a lot, there has never
been a 700Rem in my keeper rack.

T. O'Heir

"...the "Walmart test"..." Lots of people get worked up when heading off to hunt and leave their ammo, their carefully reloaded and tested ammo, on the kitchen table. Or they're flying some place and the airline loses the ammo. Excrement happens. Rule Number 2 is Thou shalt CYA.
"...Handloading is a no-brainer...." Yep. Until you find there's neither ammo nor brass available.